Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #3,917 of 6,742
Just got mine today. They're def interesting headphones and sound quite good. Its always fun hearing the different notes and instruments presented in a more or less forward way. Just part of the new headphone experience i guess. Havent gotten much head time yet but i can say one thing for sure, the build quality is excellent.

Also mine came from headphones.com. No tax and free shipping for anyone still looking
Mine too came from the same place very fast shipping free nice stand and in case you do not like it 365 days return policy very nice people to deal with, and I am not affiliate in any way with them But as far as I can tell I am already very found of the Elear except the clamping force hopefully after few weeks this should improve. by the way I am using it with the Mojo nice combo

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #3,918 of 6,742
Oh yeah i forgot about the free stand! That thing showed up out of nowhere on labor day. I think I read that some places are even making people trade in cans to get the sale price.

Sep 9, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #3,919 of 6,742
As far as I can tell the HP is on a warm side I am not an expert in anyway, the bass are there not bloated no over present not even too bassy in any case even for classical music, the elear excel at voice reproduction. I like it very much so far I do not see how it can compare to the HD650 witch is a lot more dull. For me it is a nice investment perfect for my kind of music Jazz Classical baroque and opera the only small negative are the sound stage not very large and the weight concentered in the middle top of on my head.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #3,920 of 6,742
My elear came today and I've been listening for about 4 hours. I am hearing them the same way tyll from inner fidelity did, I love them and am amazed. Headphones and audio in general is very personal and different things are right for different people. That being said for me these are it, I've been into this hobby for ten years and these are what I've been looking for the entire time. They are so punchy and physical, you can feel the music, it's like your listening to a pair of huge, awesome loudspeakers. I do notice the little missing spot in the upper mids, it's like a weird little blank spot. I only hear it on certain songs and they are so perfect otherwise it doesn't bother me at all, well, maybe just a little. Also wanted to mention someone had said the driver bottoms out and distorts at high volume, it made me second guess my decision to buy them. I have had these stupid loud, like melt your head loud with the most bass heavy music I know of and have not had this happen at all, period. They remain perfect at very loud volumes so I'm happy about that. Sorry for the long post.

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #3,921 of 6,742
I'm not saying anything you maybe don't know but, man, vocals sound exceptional through the Elears. Rich, dynamic and yet extremely well integrated with all the surrounding instrumentation. Any time the background vocals kick in during a chorus, it sounds glorious.

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #3,922 of 6,742
My elear came today and I've been listening for about 4 hours. I am hearing them the same way tyll from inner fidelity did, I love them and am amazed. Headphones and audio in general is very personal and different things are right for different people. That being said for me these are it, I've been into this hobby for ten years and these are what I've been looking for the entire time. They are so punchy and physical, you can feel the music, it's like your listening to a pair of huge, awesome loudspeakers. I do notice the little missing spot in the upper mids, it's like a weird little blank spot. I only hear it on certain songs and they are so perfect otherwise it doesn't bother me at all, well, maybe just a little. Also wanted to mention someone had said the driver bottoms out and distorts at high volume, it made me second guess my decision to buy them. I have had these stupid loud, like melt your head loud with the most bass heavy music I know of and have not had this happen at all, period. They remain perfect at very loud volumes so I'm happy about that. Sorry for the long post.

If you are open to some slight EQ for the mids...someone posted it a while back. Hopefully you'll feel the same way after the honeymoon wears off.

Bern

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #3,923 of 6,742
Just picked one up. What's the best balanced cable for the elear? I want bigger soundstage, and deeper bass, at least not lose any bass. Is copper or silver plated copper the way to go?

Went with pure UP-OCC copper after trying the silver plated UP-OCC version. It sounds a bit smoother and clearer, and that is good enough for me. Silver plated version i found too gritty for lack of a better word, but its all about synergy...if you find them too dark with your current setup silver plated might be the way to go.

I will still say that in my experience Pure UP-OCC is almost never beaten

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #3,924 of 6,742
I do hope this is not just a honeymoon phase too, new toy syndrome. And they aren't perfect, I don't think any headphone or rig is or can be perfect for every genre of music and every song. It just can't be done, but I am very happy with them overall. I agree about the quality of the vocals too. They really stand out and they are so very detailed, it's weird I feel like I can feel the air and sound moving through their throats or something, no idea how to explain that better but the detail in the vocals is awesome. They make me very happy and in the end that's all that matters. And for $700, I don't know if I'd like anything else for that much money. I really doubt it. I'm a happy, crazy headphone fanatic. :)

Sep 10, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #3,927 of 6,742
I'd be interested in just a decent replacement cable. Nothing fancy or expensive. Just something so I don't have to deal with the ridiculously heavy and long stock cable.
I do really love how dynamic and punchy they are. Pretty fun to listen to.

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #3,929 of 6,742
I'd be interested in just a decent replacement cable. Nothing fancy or expensive. Just something so I don't have to deal with the ridiculously heavy and long stock cable.
I do really love how dynamic and punchy they are. Pretty fun to listen to.

Just found these guys on amazon. Checks all my boxes. Looks legit. :thinking: I hope!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072M874JM/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back