Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #3,693 of 6,742
I'm sure you could listen to classical music on the elear and have a good time, but there are better options out there for sure if that is what you will mainly be listening to...

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #3,694 of 6,742
Yes the HD800 (and S) is the king of classical, but demands a very good amp and even then can quickly become harsh with other genres.
The Elear has a kinda in-your-face presentation and intimate soundstage, which may not be good for classical. I think something like the HEX might be better, with a more relaxed sound and spacious soundstage.
The Elear's great dynamics will be nice for classical though, and you're right pianos sound very true to life.

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #3,695 of 6,742
Update: Jot got delivered today! Balanced connections b/t Jot and Gumby, as well as the Elears (blue dragons). Considering I've made wholesale changes to the setup (move to balanced ICs and HP cable), I'm not surprised my music sounds different. I'd say initial impressions w/ several tracks (Jethro Tull's Brick, Stereolab's OLV 26, and Dire Strait's So Far Away), are:
- punchier bass
- quieter background
- more power
- significantly more detail / separation among voices / instruments

I'm guessing the amp should be burned in a bit before it settles, but so far very promising :) Anyway, just seat of the pants impressions.

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #3,696 of 6,742
I'm sure you could listen to classical music on the elear and have a good time, but there are better options out there for sure if that is what you will mainly be listening to...
Yeah, mainly classical by far. Don't worry, I'm looking at other headphones too.

HEX might be better, with a more relaxed sound and spacious soundstage.
The Elear's great dynamics will be nice for classical though, and you're right pianos sound very true to life.
I read about the great dynamics in Steve Guttenberg's review for Sound & Vision -- one reason the Elear is looking attractive to me for classical. He says the soundstage, while not big, has depth. The problem is that not too many people listen to classical compared to other genres, so it's hard to get good information.

For now, I'm listening to classical on my HE-400i. Not ideal for that genre, but still very enjoyable. If anybody has listened to the 400i (second version), it'd help if they could tell me whether its soundstage is bigger, smaller, or about the same as the Elear. I'm also very familiar with the HD650. My other big over ear headphone is the M1060, so that could be another point for comparison.

I'll be sure to check out the HEX.

Aug 8, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #3,697 of 6,742
Yeah, mainly classical by far. Don't worry, I'm looking at other headphones too.

I read about the great dynamics in Steve Guttenberg's review for Sound & Vision -- one reason the Elear is looking attractive to me for classical. He says the soundstage, while not big, has depth. The problem is that not too many people listen to classical compared to other genres, so it's hard to get good information.

For now, I'm listening to classical on my HE-400i. Not ideal for that genre, but still very enjoyable. If anybody has listened to the 400i (second version), it'd help if they could tell me whether its soundstage is bigger, smaller, or about the same as the Elear. I'm also very familiar with the HD650. My other big over ear headphone is the M1060, so that could be another point for comparison.

I'll be sure to check out the HEX.
I wouldn't say the elear has very good soundstage depth (or what some describe as height/vertical soundstage I think). The music sounds very close to you, whereas on the HEX the music seems to come from further away. The Elear has great layering though, definitely not worse than the HEX imo. The different layers and instruments are very well separated with some air between them, although they are perceived to be physically close to each other. I think some people describe this as soundstage depth.
Compared to HD650 (which I used to own), the Elear should be better at classical. Tonality is pretty similar but the Elear has more treble sparkle and airiness (it's still a slightly warm headphone though). Soundstage width is about the same, maybe a little better on the Elear. Depth, or what some describe as vertical soundstage, is also a little better on the Elear. What really sets them apart is the overall resolution, dynamics, separation and layering, where the Elear is superb.

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #3,698 of 6,742
The Elear has great layering though, definitely not worse than the HEX imo. The different layers and instruments are very well separated with some air between them, although they are perceived to be physically close to each other. I think some people describe this as soundstage depth.
Compared to HD650 (which I used to own), the Elear should be better at classical. Tonality is pretty similar but the Elear has more treble sparkle and airiness (it's still a slightly warm headphone though). Soundstage width is about the same, maybe a little better on the Elear. Depth, or what some describe as vertical soundstage, is also a little better on the Elear. What really sets them apart is the overall resolution, dynamics, separation and layering, where the Elear is superb.

Thank you. These headphones are sounding really good to me from your description. And yeah, by depth I mean layering. Not vertical or horizontal but being able to hear into the music. Elear has popped up as an overrated headphone on one of these "what headphones do you regret buying" threads. But I put very little stock in that if they don't tell me what genres of music they listen to.

Aug 8, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #3,699 of 6,742
Thank you. These headphones are sounding really good to me from your description. And yeah, by depth I mean layering. Not vertical or horizontal but being able to hear into the music. Elear has popped up as an overrated headphone on one of these "what headphones do you regret buying" threads. But I put very little stock in that if they don't tell me what genres of music they listen to.
Ah, then I don't think you'll be dissapointed. The Elear is really resolving, every instrument and voice has a nice texture and three-dimensionality to them.

Of course, the Elear won't be the right sound for everyone, like with any other headphone. With all the hype it's getting I guess more people decide to buy blind, and thus they end up in threads like those.

Aug 8, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #3,700 of 6,742
Ah, then I don't think you'll be dissapointed. The Elear is really resolving, every instrument and voice has a nice texture and three-dimensionality to them.

Of course, the Elear won't be the right sound for everyone, like with any other headphone. With all the hype it's getting I guess more people decide to buy blind, and thus they end up in threads like those.
I find it interesting that so many people say that the Elears are very resolving because I don't find them so. Regardless of the genre there are sounds which I hear on a range of other headphones but which I simply don't hear on the Elears.

Aug 8, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #3,701 of 6,742
I find it interesting that so many people say that the Elears are very resolving because I don't find them so. Regardless of the genre there are sounds which I hear on a range of other headphones but which I simply don't hear on the Elears.
Huh, what kind of sounds? Especially in the highs, I feel like all the detail is there, but it's not forcefed into your ear like on for example the HD800S (that's an exaggeration but you get the point).

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #3,703 of 6,742

Listening right now, I am surprised you dont find them resolving...like Makne said you might be a treble head :)

What is your setup?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back