Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #3,226 of 6,742

Lol, just because it has a low dynamic range doesn't mean it has terrible engineering.  The main engineer behind 25 is Tom Elmhirst, who has quite the resume behind him.

IMO if it sounds good it's good engineering. Doesn't matter what shows up on graphs. If it sounds bad, graphs can explain why, but if it sounds good then graphs don't matter.

Either way, definitely looking forward to going through my old collection with the Elears if I pick 'em up. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #3,227 of 6,742
Not sure I am a Senn boy, but I have both Focal Elear and HD800S. I really don't understand how anyone can value either as "better". They are so different open headphones can be. I love both. I have also ordered HD650 to compare with Focal Elear. I bought the HD650 the same year they were released, but sold them years ago. Now I am curious again :) Who knows, maybe I end up with just HD650 and HS800S. Then I would be a real Senn fan boy.
I never mentioned the 800. I've owned probably 12 different cans over the last 15 year's or so. Audiophiles are so Sensitive.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #3,228 of 6,742
  I will join the Elear club in a couple of days. Package is on its way. So here is my question: What songs should I check out with them first? Where do they really shine? Did you guys have any sort of wow moment with it on a certain track?

I am super excited for this.

Christian Kjellvander "Solo Live". There is a stunning precence in his music an especially in this album on Stockfisch Records (2017). The Elears boosts the intimacy and inner energy in the songs and its open bass qualites makes the songs smooth and magical.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #3,229 of 6,742

Lol, just because it has a low dynamic range doesn't mean it has terrible engineering.  The main engineer behind 25 is Tom Elmhirst, who has quite the resume behind him.

Well, I hear quite a bit of clipping/distortion in a lot of her tracks as well and everything is flat to my ears. I can get past low dynamic range, but it's the audible garbage that makes it poor IMO. I don't care for the resumé if the end result is not up to snuff. Of course you may have a different opinion. Believe me, I'm not the only one who hears this, but YMMV.

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #3,231 of 6,742
Schiit Mjolnir 2, used Torpedo III are two that come to mind.  Don't underestimate Schiit's cheaper amps either.  maybe a used Eddie Current BW1 or 2 if you can find one.  

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #3,233 of 6,742
  Christian Kjellvander "Solo Live". There is a stunning precence in his music an especially in this album on Stockfisch Records (2017). The Elears boosts the intimacy and inner energy in the songs and its open bass qualites makes the songs smooth and magical.

Thanks for the links. I really like the guitar in the first song.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #3,234 of 6,742
  Not sure if you're looking for DAC functions as well, but I'd highly suggest a Chord Mojo fits well in that price range.

Thats a great one for sure... Since the Elear is relatively easy to drive, the mojo is a great match! I also recommend the Elemental Watson tube/hybrid amp if you're not trying to break the bank and want something different :wink:

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #3,235 of 6,742
  Thats a great one for sure... Since the Elear is relatively easy to drive, the mojo is a great match! I also recommend the Elemental Watson tube/hybrid amp if you're not trying to break the bank and want something different :wink:

Chiming in to echo the Watson. That's what's gonna be driving mine. I dead-ass liked that combo more than the Utopia rig I heard there.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #3,236 of 6,742
Got my Elear a few days ago. Very happy with it. Just waiting on a Schiit Jotunheim + balanced cable to see how that changes the experience. But they sound great even from my FiiO.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #3,237 of 6,742
I got the Elear several weeks ago and I used it with the Vinshine Audio DAC-R2R-REF, but I have since sold the Vinshine. I was VERY happy with this combination, but I wanted to try something different than the Vinshine. I replaced it with a Multibit Bifrost and Asgard 2. However, I am severely disappointed by this combination. But I'm unsure if it's the DAC or amp that is causing me to be uninspired. This is the setup I use at work.

With the Vinshine, I had all of the transparent micro-detail and dynamics I expected from an R2R DAC. It sounded excellent, but the bass response was lacking from the headphone amp. I have a Holo Spring Level 3 in my home system, so I am quite accustom to the R2R sound. With the Bifrost Multibit and Asgard 2, I have better bass than the Vinshine, but the delicate dynamics and immediate response of the Focal Elear seem to be gone compared to how I remember them with the Vinshine.

Does anyone have any insight on this combination of Bimby and Asgard 2? I was expecting MUCH better than this, but I am unsure where to look. Is the Bimby not as good of an R2R DAC as I anticipated? Is the Asgard 2 the wrong amp for the Elear?

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #3,239 of 6,742
  I got the Elear several weeks ago and I used it with the Vinshine Audio DAC-R2R-REF, but I have since sold the Vinshine. I was VERY happy with this combination, but I wanted to try something different than the Vinshine. I replaced it with a Multibit Bifrost and Asgard 2. However, I am severely disappointed by this combination. But I'm unsure if it's the DAC or amp that is causing me to be uninspired. This is the setup I use at work.

With the Vinshine, I had all of the transparent micro-detail and dynamics I expected from an R2R DAC. It sounded excellent, but the bass response was lacking from the headphone amp. I have a Holo Spring Level 3 in my home system, so I am quite accustom to the R2R sound. With the Bifrost Multibit and Asgard 2, I have better bass than the Vinshine, but the delicate dynamics and immediate response of the Focal Elear seem to be gone compared to how I remember them with the Vinshine.

Does anyone have any insight on this combination of Bimby and Asgard 2? I was expecting MUCH better than this, but I am unsure where to look. Is the Bimby not as good of an R2R DAC as I anticipated? Is the Asgard 2 the wrong amp for the Elear?

The Asgard 2 is the wrong amp for the Elear.  It's an entry level amp and the Elear is not entry level.  I have the Bifrost Multibit and I upgraded the amp to a Cavalli, the Elear is quite happy with this combo.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #3,240 of 6,742
Selling my Elear. if anyone is interested in buying a like-new pair, pm me.
I'm not using headphones as much as I used to do, so I thought it should go to the right home.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/844739

Users who are viewing this thread

Back