Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #3,061 of 6,742
I also have the HD650 and the Elear. The HD650 are relaxed, while the Elear are much more dynamic. The best part with the Elears is how they reproduce guitars, just amazing, very nice for metal.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #3,062 of 6,742
I don't think either Elear or HD650 is particularly exciting. Both are warm and thick and laid back.

Exciting is my TH900, my T1, my HE-400. They have a lot more energy and treble bite and aggression than the Elear. Even the new M-1060's from monoprice have a more exciting sound IMO.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #3,065 of 6,742
  I listen to a lot of electronic and modern dance stuff, so maybe it's the genre. IDK I just found the excitement factor limited.

I don't listen to much heavy metal/guitar stuff.

I listen to a lot of jazz and dynamic type of jazz fusion / steely dan type stuff and I loved the Elears compared to anything Sennheiser 

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #3,068 of 6,742
A sellotape got stuck to my Elear headband and when I removed it part of black dust paint kind of came off and now there is a patch that can be distinctrly noted. I thought the head band is leather.

Can I polish it with something to bring the original colour back. Any advise appreciated

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #3,069 of 6,742
  A sellotape got stuck to my Elear headband and when I removed it part of black dust paint kind of came off and now there is a patch that can be distinctrly noted. I thought the head band is leather.

Can I polish it with something to bring the original colour back. Any advise appreciated

I use Renapur for all of my leather feed needs. I put a nice thick layer of it on belts, shoes, boots etc, leave it for a couple of days and wipe off the excess, buff it a day or so later with a dry cloth and the leather looks good as new. It's really very good.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #3,070 of 6,742
I'm curious if it's because of the smaller sound stage of the Elear that is making it seem less enjoyable for you for electronica ect?

Just doesn't have the excitement. The treble is too laid back and they don't actually hit very hard in the bass. Soundstage being small doesn't exactly help either. My other cans are more exciting for the genre.

I also think (in general) a more U/V shape sound signature works better with EDM, the mids are pretty prominent on the Elear.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #3,072 of 6,742
OK, at the very least, what the amps (FiiO E10K amp, FiiO E10K line out -> FiiO K6) do relative to the line out of the E10K is get rid of the dynamic impact and bass power of the Elear. The sound is very dynamic when using just the line out, while it is boringly flat and lifeless out of either of those amps. I've compared directly, switching between them within seconds.

If you have a E10K, try using the line out. BUT LOWER THE VOLUME IN YOUR OS FIRST TO ABOUT 15% AND BE SURE NOT TO USE ASIO OUTPUT (it will always be full volume, right?).

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #3,073 of 6,742
So as I understand the Elear is very easy to drive. Still, I see many suggestions pointing towards amp/dacs that costs practically the same/more as the headphones it self.

My question: Can you comfortable use a super cheap dac/amp like the Fiio E10K (or something in this price range?!) for the Elear?. How will this effect the sound and the potentiel of the Elear? What's your experience on this?

The context: Now I mostly listen to lossless through my MacBook Pro 2016 with either Fidelio X2 or Audio Technica ES700 in the hiphop/r&b genre. I just got the opportunity to buy a second hand/perfect condition Elear... I feel like it would match my preferences and could be a really nice upgrade. But I don't know if it makes sense for me to buy Elear if I would have to spend another couple of months rent for an amp/dac that makes sense to pair the Elear with.  I've never listened to a very expensive dac/amp so I don't know the effect compared to a lower priced - but well reviewed - amp.

Any inputs are welcomed and highly appreciated. 

I purchased my Elear's last year and have no regrets, still loving them six months later. I don't have the Fiio E10K but I do have an original E10 somewhere! Will try and find it as I'd be interested to see how well it drives the Elear compared to the iFi iDAC2.

Fortunately I've got a pair of X2's (gathering dust) so they can join the party too 
smily_headphones1.gif

I do think the X2 is excellent for the price but the Elear is in different league.

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #3,074 of 6,742

I listen to a lot of jazz and dynamic type of jazz fusion / steely dan type stuff and I loved the Elears compared to anything Sennheiser 

That is good to hear, as I am a big fan of Steely Dan and any of their music sounds great with the hd 650 !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back