Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #3,033 of 6,742
So as I understand the Elear is very easy to drive. Still, I see many suggestions pointing towards amp/dacs that costs practically the same/more as the headphones it self.

My question: Can you comfortable use a super cheap dac/amp like the Fiio E10K (or something in this price range?!) for the Elear?. How will this effect the sound and the potentiel of the Elear? What's your experience on this?

The context: Now I mostly listen to lossless through my MacBook Pro 2016 with either Fidelio X2 or Audio Technica ES700 in the hiphop/r&b genre. I just got the opportunity to buy a second hand/perfect condition Elear... I feel like it would match my preferences and could be a really nice upgrade. But I don't know if it makes sense for me to buy Elear if I would have to spend another couple of months rent for an amp/dac that makes sense to pair the Elear with.  I've never listened to a very expensive dac/amp so I don't know the effect compared to a lower priced - but well reviewed - amp.

Any inputs are welcomed and highly appreciated. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #3,034 of 6,742
So as I understand the Elear is very easy to drive. Still, I see many suggestions pointing towards amp/dacs that costs practically the same/more as the headphones it self.

My question: Can you comfortable use a super cheap dac/amp like the Fiio E10K (or something in this price range?!) for the Elear?. How will this effect the sound and the potentiel of the Elear? What's your experience on this?

The context: Now I mostly listen to lossless through my MacBook Pro 2016 with either Fidelio X2 or Audio Technica ES700 in the hiphop/r&b genre. I just got the opportunity to buy a second hand/perfect condition Elear... I feel like it would match my preferences and could be a really nice upgrade. But I don't know if it makes sense for me to buy Elear if I would have to spend another couple of months rent for an amp/dac that makes sense to pair the Elear with.  I've never listened to a very expensive dac/amp so I don't know the effect compared to a lower priced - but well reviewed - amp.

I started with Fiio E17k and some $100 sony, Then X2, AKG K712, Audeze LCD...... now Hifiman HE1000. Also few amps now Violectric V281 and V850 DAC

When I got Elear I did not like it much, So I was to sell it. HD800 and AKG K812 I was as my main gear did not have punchy base so I did lot of comparisons of X2 vs Elear in my main Vio set up and also direct via Chord Mojo. I decided X2 is better. Then accidently I was checking Elear at higher volume and understood my problem was listening to Elear at lower volume. Now I know where Elear stand and I like it but only smaller margin over X2. I do not have Fio E17K with me to check Elear but when I use Chord Mojo (US$500 unit) vs My vio set up with power conditioners etc etc (~US$4000) I would say 10-15% better. Though I cannot comment on Fiio anymore you do not need to spend thousands of dollars and if you do you will only get very diminishing returns. If you have money spend on a used Chord Mojo and it is the best thing I have purchased and also happy with the value and performance. I think Oppo has a similar unit which is cheaper and not far behind Mojo and will do the job with Elear

As I said for me Elear with Vio set up vs X2 with Mojo would be 15 to 20%% improvement and in some cases I would still prefer X2 as Elear become too dynamic and also for me personally high volume listening is not good. X2 is a very good in the sense I can use it for Movies too without any amp direct out of my Lenovo laptops that has pretty crappy sound built in.

I may also say that just Keep your X2 and Fiio and you are not missing much (but then you have to stop reading headfi and review sites that give 5 start for everything for these reviews will play with your mind and when u start there is no end)

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #3,035 of 6,742
@sanjeewasam

Thank you for the honesty! Very very interesting and also sort of a surprising answer.
The X2 is definitely a solid headphone in its own right. Do you always use X2 with an amp? I almost never use X2 with a dac/amp... but maybe because the DAC in the Mac is quite capable.. What do you win from an amp with X2 in regards if music listening?

Also, since you have been comparing them... Would you say - besides powering technicalities - that the sound signature of X2 and Elear is actually similar?

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #3,036 of 6,742

I use a $550 antique sound labs with my $1500 elaer(Canadian prices). spent $70 for some new tubes and am very happy with my combo. the elears do pair up good with the big expensive amps. but has long as u have good clean power a cheaper amp will do until u can afford better. I say if the elears sound good to u go for it, u wont regret it

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #3,037 of 6,742
@sanjeewasam

Thank you for the honesty! Very very interesting and also sort of a surprising answer.

The X2 is definitely a solid headphone in its own right. Do you always use X2 with an amp? I almost never use X2 with a dac/amp... but maybe because the DAC in the Mac is quite capable.. What do you win from an amp with X2 in regards if music listening?

Also, since you have been comparing them... Would you say - besides powering technicalities - that the sound signature of X2 and Elear is actually similar?

Yes I do use X2 with Mojo and before I used with E17K, But there are times I use it direct. There is improvement with Mojo and E17k which bypass internal dac and amp. But I would not say it is night and day thing but an overall improvement that allow you to better enjoy. Specially improve resolution, sound stage, control when you add good dac that is built in to E17 and Mojo. You could test this with your own Fiio,

My impressions on Elear vs X2
- Elear more dynamic by some margin but it could backfire in some cases (if you want to relax and for some music)
- Elear base- go deep so it is about base quality than Qty
- Elear mids in some cases bit reassessed but too are X2
- Elear highs better controlled than X2
- Elear is more clearer by small margin
- Elear could or would use more power and X2 can be satisfied with most
- Sound stage- almost same or X2
- Same comfort level but Elear is very well made (quality) but so is X2 for the price
- I like Elear with bit more volume to bring out the mids so it become bit fatiguing in the long run. Not a laid back relax type of HP and it force your attention. X2 is some what better in that sense

Like X2 elear is an overall good HP for most cases

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #3,038 of 6,742

@sanjeewasam

Yes I do use X2 with Mojo and before I used with E17K, But there are times I use it direct. There is improvement with Mojo and E17k which bypass internal dac and amp. But I would not say it is night and day thing but an overall improvement that allow you to better enjoy. Specially improve resolution, sound stage, control when you add good dac that is built in to E17 and Mojo. You could test this with your own Fiio,

My impressions on Elear vs X2
- Elear more dynamic by some margin but it could backfire in some cases (if you want to relax and for some music)
- Elear base- go deep so it is about base quality than Qty
- Elear mids in some cases bit reassessed but too are X2
- Elear highs better controlled than X2
- Elear is more clearer by small margin
- Elear could or would use more power and X2 can be satisfied with most
- Sound stage- almost same or X2
- Same comfort level but Elear is very well made (quality) but so is X2 for the price
- I like Elear with bit more volume to bring out the mids so it become bit fatiguing in the long run. Not a laid back relax type of HP and it force your attention. X2 is some what better in that sense

Like X2 elear is an overall good HP for most cases

Interesting comparison.  I have never found them to be remotely similar.  The volume is the hardest part of the Elear.  Needs to be set right and then it sings.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #3,039 of 6,742
  I agree 100%. The law of diminishing return. I cant justify 4000.00 for earphones that arent 3000.00 better than the Elears. I just did the Woo WA7 and WA7tp with upgraded tubes, the Elears and dropped almost another grand on my AK300 so Im going to have to have to slow it way down before Im listening to this fine audio gear in a cardboard box while living in the Walmart parking lot.

Nice choice used to own the wa7/tp an excellent sounding amp..

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #3,040 of 6,742

thanks man!
my wallet say JOT, my eyes say HA-1 
blink.gif

lol

I didn't really think to much of the HA-1, seemed lacking in power when I demo'd my HE-560's on it. I found out a wee bit sterile.

Well maybe on low gain single ended it may be a touch weak, But on balanced at high gain as far as I can tell it would drive two tin cans hooked to butchers twine. Even on high gain single ended it can drive my 50 mk 3's to bleeding ear levels.  Way more than enough clean power for anything I own certainly. Others would have to comment as to the 560 as i've not heard them on the HA-1.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #3,041 of 6,742
Just came back from demoing the Elear, man its one heck of an Energetic Bunny. It demands my attention at all time and quite fun to listen to when I'm in for it. On the flipside, I can hear it's narrow dip in upper mids, but honestly it nothing major, female vocals, whether Haruna Luna or Sara Bareilles still sings with clarity and emotion, (this is from Mids lover that has my offline music library consist of 60% Jpop), maybe you'd need to turn the volume knob up a tiny bit too much to get the edge you want, so be careful with that finger.

Was using Fiio Q1 straight &/ or to my Hybrid Tube (much stronger but adds coloration, so I didn't judge the Elear sound out it, just to find out synergy)

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #3,042 of 6,742
  Well maybe on low gain single ended it may be a touch weak, But on balanced at high gain as far as I can tell it would drive two tin cans hooked to butchers twine. Even on high gain single ended it can drive my 50 mk 3's to bleeding ear levels.  Way more than enough clean power for anything I own certainly. Others would have to comment as to the 560 as i've not heard them on the HA-1.

I was listening to the HE-560 using SE, I had it cranked over to about 80-85% of it's max volume. I wasn't overly enamored with it.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #3,044 of 6,742
  Is it only me that think Elear is more enjoyable at lower volume?

The "too" dynamic nature really bring alive music even at low volume (like 55-60db) which is I appreciate it a lot.

Well, the good thing is you get dynamics even at lower volume (like the Vega, btw) but I find the Elear invite me to push the volume by their engaging nature :D

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #3,045 of 6,742
Well, the good thing is you get dynamics even at lower volume (like the Vega, btw) but I find the Elear invite me to push the volume by their engaging nature :D

I don't understand how the Z1R has that quality as well... aka how do they create a headphone to be able to keep great detail at lower volume levels? And I agree that instead of turn it down it makes me want to crank it up. I usually find a an acceptable but good listening level and try my best to keep it there and refrain from touching it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back