Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #3,001 of 6,742
I received the Blue Dragon (v3) balanced cable from Moon Audio, to use out of the DX200's balanced out (which outputs 2W @ 32ohm) and let me tell you the Elear clearly benefits from being run balanced... aside from more power on the DX200 it has better extension both ways and soundstage is significantly wider and deeper.

Now I need to spend some time with the Elear :D

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #3,002 of 6,742

This point is excellent! Unfortunately it's not all as simple as that though.

It's is confusing Maestro, but not because of a standard of neutrality. It's confusing because things CAN be totally and completely accurate down to a single  musical note recorded in an anechoic chamber by equipment that cost hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars. However, if that note is played back by millions of men and women across the world in hundreds of millions of sound translation devices to billions of ears, there will be no neutrality. Neutrality is not a constant. Accuracy is a constant. Neutrality is a perception. That single note of music i mentioned recorded so meticulously and may be totally accurate in frequency, tone, inflection, volume and even in intention but to millions and millions of ears it will not be perceived as neutral. You and I can say that it sounds JUST as it was played in that studio, and there will be hundreds if not thousands of people who listened to it thru our same devices as our own who will say it is not neutral, it is colored. I will say it again, sound is deceptively subjective. Even though our sound and our hearing is measurable, there are a great many variables that shape what we hear and what we perceive. Our ears are all different, our eardrums are all different, ear canals are all different and finally our neurons are all different and the perception of what they tell us regarding sound are all different. Certainly there are similarities (thank God... if not millions of dollars spent on this hobby would be lost lol) that allow us to hear with great accuracy what was intended, but i doubt that anything short of neuron patching will ever allow all of us to agree on neutrality.  

Now if we can just seem to come to a consensus on what dynamics, musicality, and punch mean so we can get on with our impressions of the elear for which i am about to get a beating from our beloved mods for not being on subject, we'll be in good shape.  
beerchug.gif

Your point is valid, as it's the "core" of hi-end audio. It's also a reason why hi-end is dying out -- high-priced gear, lack of appreciation for great sound among the masses (even the younger gen prefer their iDevice earbuds). But it has nothing to do with the operational principle of neutrality and accuracy in audio gear.

From the standpoint of an audio engineer designing amps, personal prefs and listening differences are not relevant. S/he aims to design amps/speakers that are dead neutral/accurate.

Neutrality/accuracy is objectively measurable -- output/input ratio of an amp/speaker, at any/all sound frequencies. From the engineer's standpoint, it is not open for individual interpretation. I'm not talking about the recording quality or artists' preferences with the way the music is recorded. Only the final product (CD, LP, tape recording) played back through an amp. The output of the amp is measurable and comparable to its input signal.

If I have a recording that is warm (tilted up in the mid-bass/trble roll off) I have a choice -- I can get a transducer that plays it accurately so I hear it as it is, warm. OR I can get one that plays it even warmer or cooler (brighter). Not neutral/accurate. It's a question of preference as you say. But that choice does not, and should not, concern the designers if their goal is accuracy. 

Personally, I like accuracy. If it's a warm rec, I want to hear it as such, and also not soften any brighter recs I may have. I find that accurate gear serves me well and stands the test of time down the road. I don't want my violins sounding like cellos.
eek.gif

cheers enjoy your music -- whatever it sounds like.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #3,003 of 6,742

Your point is valid, as it's the "core" of hi-end audio. It's also a reason why hi-end is dying out -- high-priced gear, lack of appreciation for great sound among the masses (even the younger gen prefer their iDevice earbuds). But it has nothing to do with the operational principle of neutrality and accuracy in audio gear.

From the standpoint of an audio engineer designing amps, personal prefs and listening differences are not relevant. S/he aims to design amps/speakers that are dead neutral/accurate.

Neutrality/accuracy is objectively measurable -- output/input ratio of an amp/speaker, at any/all sound frequencies. From the engineer's standpoint, it is not open for individual interpretation. I'm not talking about the recording quality or artists' preferences with the way the music is recorded. Only the final product (CD, LP, tape recording) played back through an amp. The output of the amp is measurable and comparable to its input signal.

If I have a recording that is warm (tilted up in the mid-bass/trble roll off) I have a choice -- I can get a transducer that plays it accurately so I hear it as it is, warm. OR I can get one that plays it even warmer or cooler (brighter). Not neutral/accurate. It's a question of preference as you say. But that choice does not, and should not, concern the designers if their goal is accuracy.

Personally, I like accuracy. If it's a warm rec, I want to hear it as such, and also not soften any brighter recs I may have. I find that accurate gear serves me well and stands the test of time down the road. I don't want my violins sounding like cellos.
eek.gif

cheers enjoy your music -- whatever it sounds like.

I agree 100%.  I went to the only place in CT that actually had a set of the Elears to audition them. Im a closed back type of guy and as a whole not impressed with open back cans BUT I must say that these cans sounded great and neutral to MY imperfect ears. I will be getting a set at the end of this month.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #3,004 of 6,742
My take on HE-560 versus Elear...560 more "accurate", Elear more "fun"
but others seem to disagree...

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #3,005 of 6,742

looking forward to finding how they are for my ears this week. elear arrives this morning. the he560 should be here friday. i'm very excited. have the fostex th900 and an hd800 (sdr mod) here now.  

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #3,006 of 6,742

That's not suprising I remember having similar discussions about the Vega, I think both the Vega and Elear are distinctive because of their highly dynamic nature which could be a testimony to "lack" of dynamics of most headphones and IEMs or maybe there are too few of those they do stand out in a big way. You either like it or you don't but if you do it's hard to loose that characteristic :)

Volume might explain it but I'd say the Elear doesn't need such a high volume to express itself and it paradoxically needs less volume to come alive than most headphones. I simply think if you're not used to that level of dynamics - muscular is and adjective that comes back often - I see how it can get "tiring" and that was my initial experience with the Vega and it probably helped me get in sync with the sig of the Elear quite fast coming from hundreds hours with the Vega (the Elear is more relaxed logically being open back thus less ear fatigue from pressure than a closed IEM). It all comes down to the point of reference IMHO, I was a tad suprised when I first heard the Elear compared to the reviews, I didn't find them dark or veiled at all.

Source is probably overlooked, I know the Elear comes out very different from Mojo than the more neutral, wide and detailed DX200 (a good pairing BTW!). I don't know how the Elear would sound out of a bright source...

I tried Vega before, only for few songs though, and I think they more like TH900 than Elear, as the lower midrange seems less full than my liking, a bit v shape in character for me. Agree that Vega is sound very "dynamic" as well.

Yes, source of course a big matter especially for good quality dynamic driver headphone. For now Im running ELear through CMA600i and I think this pair sounds smoothly without any sharp peak or making fatigue for my ears.

Personally, upper mid section of 560 is never accurate by any degree for me. I will chose HE500 for better tonal. (though 560 has better soundstage, detail, and black background quality).

YMMIV of course :)

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,007 of 6,742
Never heard the HE-500.. I do find the highs On The 560 to be bright/emphasized, sometimes painfully so. Hey, I just heard $20k speakers this past weekend, I could pick out faults on them as well. Nothing is perfect. It mostly depends on the strengths that are important to you, the weaknesses you can't stand, and finding that balance imo.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #3,008 of 6,742
 Hey, I just heard $20k speakers this past weekend, I could pick out faults on them as well. Nothing is perfect. It mostly depends on the strengths that are important to you, the weaknesses you can't stand, and finding that balance imo.

Yes, very true
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #3,009 of 6,742
first impressions

got my elear in this morning. came out from under my fostex th900, keeping the hd800 (sdr mod) handy as a reference point. the Focal sounded ok until i swapped out the stock cable with the Nordost Blue Heaven that i bought with them. 
then it sounded top friggin' notch!! the cable is a significant improvement across the entire board. shocked to hear THIS big a difference from the cable (biggest jump i've heard from other cans i've upgraded cables with, including the hd600, hd800 and lcd-3.

anyway. these are incredible, especially at this price (he says after owning he6, beyer t1 g2 and hd800's. forget i said that - they are just superb in their own right -but they are a relative steal).

i've been deeply loving my th900, except at times getting too tizzy treble energy from some recordings. they do NOT sound like a "natural" soundscape to me, and i enjoy that. they bring all instruments further up in the mix. leads and lead vocals are still prominent, but bass lines et al that are normally more of the backround, or overall soundscape, have a life of their own near the forefront. ie i can HEAR them distinctly -very enticing and damned interesting to listen to. if it wasn't for that extra treble zing i might be in headphone heaven. when i changed pads it alleviated that, but by TOO much, and also cut the great pumped up bass a bit. i like the damn bass. anyway. so no perfection for me with the th900, but addictive in it's own right. and i may have to keep them.

but the Focal Elear does not err in any glaring way whatsoever. it does pretty much everything pretty damn nicely. to my ears there has always been an element to the focal house, in both home and car speakers, that kept me from adoring them
. it hits me as a "hardness" in the mids / upper mids. at first today i thought that was going to make me sell these,. but when i drove them with a little less power that almost 100% went away. at least it became enjoyable for me as it was lessened. this on a soloist going from 3rd position to 2nd in the "variable output selector". god bless you Burson.

these are just smokin'. i'm no longer bored as i was by the lcd-3, and i'm getting mids from the elear that are lovely enough to satisfy me. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #3,010 of 6,742
Hey, I just heard $20k speakers this past weekend, I could pick out faults on them as well. Nothing is perfect. I

Just shows that one doesn't need to spend $20K to get great speakers. Also, price is no predictor of great perf......

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #3,011 of 6,742
  Nordost Blue Heaven that i bought with them. 
then it sounded top friggin' notch!! the cable is a significant improvement across the entire board. shocked to hear THIS big a difference from the cable (biggest jump i've heard from other cans i've upgraded cables with, including the hd600, hd800 and lcd-3.

I'm glad it isn't just me that noticed a big difference from changing the cable.

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #3,012 of 6,742

I have the Burson Soloist and have been looking at the th900.  I currently have the thx00 and like them but would like more detail.  How would you describe the th900 to the thx00? If you have heard them both to compare. 

never heard the thx00. the th900 does not leave me lacking detail whatsoever, even with those hd800's on my desk. the th900 is one of the most FUN listens i've had in years. it brings all instruments up in the mix, which is odd but exciting. also very revealing of riffs from all instruments that i never paid much attention to before because they were not up front at all.. between that and it's level of detail, and a boatload of bass these are a blast. treble can be a bit over the top at times, but when i "tamed" it with a different set of earpads i missed it as it was. so, i love the th900 unmodded. you will read that the th900 with the soloist is a heavenly match. it is true, that. i highly recommend both the cans and the amp. that amp has driven everything but the he6 incredibly well, and i haven't mentioned another 3 or 4 sets of cans that i've driven with it.  

how do you like the elear?

I really enjoy the Elear.  Great dynamics and punch.  Bass doesn't go as low as Audeze LCD-2 but the bass punch makes up for it.  I really enjoy the Elear with EDM and pop music in general.  Anything where the music really hit hard and fast.  Detail is also a strong point.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #3,015 of 6,742
  I received the Blue Dragon (v3) balanced cable from Moon Audio, to use out of the DX200's balanced out (which outputs 2W @ 32ohm) and let me tell you the Elear clearly benefits from being run balanced... aside from more power on the DX200 it has better extension both ways and soundstage is significantly wider and deeper.

Now I need to spend some time with the Elear :D

That's a really good cable a friend of mine has that same one for his Elear's..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back