Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2,986 of 6,742

Doc - Try When the Music's Over by The Doors.  The Elear does it proud.

The Doors really rock, and their recordings, despite their vintage, keep drawing me back. Spanish caravan still does it for me.  
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #2,987 of 6,742

Great song, sounds almost like a show tune.  I've been getting back in The Doors since I downloaded the HD files of their studio albums.  These albums sound different then they did back on my JCPenney record player.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #2,989 of 6,742
Riders on the storm is one of my test tracks. Love me some Doors. I hate it when I listen to Peace Frog on the radio and they cut it at the end and don't let it transition into Blue Sunday. Grrrr!

I just went back and listen to Peace Frog and Blue Sunday with the Elears.  The transition is sublime, and then on to Ship of Fools. . whoa.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #2,991 of 6,742
  My 650 and 560 do them soooo smoothly out of BHA-1.
Wonder what Elear would bring to the table.

I recently sold my he 500's they were just sitting there, I can say the Elear's are much nicer than the 500's sorry never heard the 560's but if their only marginally better than the 500's maybe not on the level of the Elear's..enjoy

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #2,992 of 6,742
Totally disagree. Owned Elear once, demoed it again in house, prefer the HE-500's.

Elear's do not do it for me, and are 2x the price. I'd recommend the HD6xx if you want that sound signature.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #2,993 of 6,742

I recently sold my he 500's they were just sitting there, I can say the Elear's are much nicer than the 500's sorry never heard the 560's but if their only marginally better than the 500's maybe not on the level of the Elear's..enjoy

I've only read that the 560 is significantly better than the 500. YMMV.....

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #2,994 of 6,742
  Totally disagree. Owned Elear once, demoed it again in house, prefer the HE-500's.

Elear's do not do it for me, and are 2x the price. I'd recommend the HD6xx if you want that sound signature.

Excellent comment even though I disagree with your comment this shows that audio gear in a general way is very subjective you hear one thing & I hear something very differently..enjoy & thanks for your post 

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #2,995 of 6,742
have the elear arriving tomorrow or the next day with a nordost blue heaven cable (and the original cable to compare it to). very excited to finally hear this can.

currently have a fostex th900 and a pair of hd800 (sdr mod) in the house. just sold ps1000e, lcd-3 (non fazor) and beyer t1 gen2. the lcd-3 bored me, the ps1000e was NOT the return of the PS1 i'd been hoping for, and the t1 gen2 were just not voiced in a way i liked very much.

dunno what the hell i'll settle on, but i am loving the fun of the th900 despite it's over the top highs. the hd800 are here to stay. have a pair of he560's coming on friday also (he-6 was too heavy though i owned a pair).

between these i figure i will find one or two i want to keep along side the senns. 

burson soloist is my amp.

i listen to rock of most persuasions, classic jazz, classical, r &b and folk. 6 tons of vinyl and 7 tb of hi rez files.

i am an unrepentant audio addict and total audiophool. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #2,996 of 6,742
  have the elear arriving tomorrow or the next day with a nordost blue heaven cable (and the original cable to compare it to). very excited to finally hear this can.

currently have a fostex th900 and a pair of hd800 (sdr mod) in the house. just sold ps1000e, lcd-3 (non fazor) and beyer t1 gen2. the lcd-3 bored me, the ps1000e was NOT the return of the PS1 i'd been hoping for, and the t1 gen2 were just not voiced in a way i liked very much.

dunno what the hell i'll settle on, but i am loving the fun of the th900 despite it's over the top highs. the hd800 are here to stay. have a pair of he560's coming on friday also.

between these i figure i will find one or two i want to keep along side the senns. 

burson soloist is my amp.

I have the Burson Soloist and have been looking at the th900.  I currently have the thx00 and like them but would like more detail.  How would you describe the th900 to the thx00? If you have heard them both to compare. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #2,997 of 6,742

I have the Burson Soloist and have been looking at the th900.  I currently have the thx00 and like them but would like more detail.  How would you describe the th900 to the thx00? If you have heard them both to compare. 

never heard the thx00. the th900 does not leave me lacking detail whatsoever, even with those hd800's on my desk. the th900 is one of the most FUN listens i've had in years. it brings all instruments up in the mix, which is odd but exciting. also very revealing of riffs from all instruments that i never paid much attention to before because they were not up front at all.. between that and it's level of detail, and a boatload of bass these are a blast. treble can be a bit over the top at times, but when i "tamed" it with a different set of earpads i missed it as it was. so, i love the th900 unmodded. you will read that the th900 with the soloist is a heavenly match. it is true, that. i highly recommend both the cans and the amp. that amp has driven everything but the he6 incredibly well, and i haven't mentioned another 3 or 4 sets of cans that i've driven with it.  

how do you like the elear?

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #2,998 of 6,742
  There seems to be confusion between neutrality/accuracy and coloration. You don't need to know what went on in the studio. That's not the defining standard of neutrality. A recording may very well be colored 90% of the time. But the best amps and speakers will not add/subtract anything to a recording. That's neutrality/accuracy. It's measurable as output (of amp)/input (recording signals) ratio. With accurate gear, you hear what's on the recording -- period. The recording of a piano may not sound 100% like a piano in an acoustically perfect (anechoic) room/chamber or even in an imperfect concert hall. But a neutral/accurate amp/speaker will transmit that imperfection (from the recording), perfectly. That's accuracy/neutrality.

This point is excellent! Unfortunately it's not all as simple as that though.

It's is confusing Maestro, but not because of a standard of neutrality. It's confusing because things CAN be totally and completely accurate down to a single  musical note recorded in an anechoic chamber by equipment that cost hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars. However, if that note is played back by millions of men and women across the world in hundreds of millions of sound translation devices to billions of ears, there will be no neutrality. Neutrality is not a constant. Accuracy is a constant. Neutrality is a perception. That single note of music i mentioned recorded so meticulously and may be totally accurate in frequency, tone, inflection, volume and even in intention but to millions and millions of ears it will not be perceived as neutral. You and I can say that it sounds JUST as it was played in that studio, and there will be hundreds if not thousands of people who listened to it thru our same devices as our own who will say it is not neutral, it is colored. I will say it again, sound is deceptively subjective. Even though our sound and our hearing is measurable, there are a great many variables that shape what we hear and what we perceive. Our ears are all different, our eardrums are all different, ear canals are all different and finally our neurons are all different and the perception of what they tell us regarding sound are all different. Certainly there are similarities (thank God... if not millions of dollars spent on this hobby would be lost lol) that allow us to hear with great accuracy what was intended, but i doubt that anything short of neuron patching will ever allow all of us to agree on neutrality.  

Now if we can just seem to come to a consensus on what dynamics, musicality, and punch mean so we can get on with our impressions of the elear for which i am about to get a beating from our beloved mods for not being on subject, we'll be in good shape.  
beerchug.gif

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #2,999 of 6,742

This point is excellent! Unfortunately it's not all as simple as that though.

It's is confusing Maestro, but not because of a standard of neutrality. It's confusing because things CAN be totally and completely accurate down to a single  musical note recorded in an anechoic chamber by equipment that cost hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars. However, if that note is played back by millions of men and women across the world in hundreds of millions of sound translation devices to billions of ears, there will be no neutrality. Neutrality is not a constant. Accuracy is a constant. Neutrality is a perception. That single note of music i mentioned recorded so meticulously and may be totally accurate in frequency, tone, inflection, volume and even in intention but to millions and millions of ears it will not be perceived as neutral. You and I can say that it sounds JUST as it was played in that studio, and there will be hundreds if not thousands of people who listened to it thru our same devices as our own who will say it is not neutral, it is colored. I will say it again, sound is deceptively subjective. Even though our sound and our hearing is measurable, there are a great many variables that shape what we hear and what we perceive. Our ears are all different, our eardrums are all different, ear canals are all different and finally our neurons are all different and the perception of what they tell us regarding sound are all different. Certainly there are similarities (thank God... if not millions of dollars spent on this hobby would be lost lol) that allow us to hear with great accuracy what was intended, but i doubt that anything short of neuron patching will ever allow all of us to agree on neutrality.  

Now if we can just seem to come to a consensus on what dynamics, musicality, and punch mean so we can get on with our impressions of the elear for which i am about to get a beating from our beloved mods for not being on subject, we'll be in good shape.  
beerchug.gif

Maybe a good tube amp is needed to bring out the the best in this..

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #3,000 of 6,742

I have He560 and Elear. Whist HE560 is not as good as HE6 they are good. I would not say one is better than other. HE560 if very good when I am relaxing and listening just before going to bed as the laid back and somewhat dark background signature suite that. Elear is too dynamic for that specially if you increase volume. But when you are in the mood for it, listening to not so good recordings and pop songs etc and when you do not have your desktop amp with you then Elear it is. .

So yes - they are different HP and great to have both and use accordingly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back