Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #2,896 of 6,742
So been listening to these badboy's since November, more or less. I've posted a few thoughts before, but I want to officially make a statement about the stock cord. I love it. I didn't really have an opinion when I purchased because I had a broken ankle and literally didn't move for a month. That said my friends who came and kept me company had opinions.
Essentially I never once heard, "MY GOD MAN, WHY IS THIS CABLE SO FRIGGIN' LONG?"
Instead I watched, over and over, as my friends put on the cans and danced around my living room as if at a silent concert. Which, to be real, was pretty cool. I may be a little younger than some on here at 27 and so *may* have a different perspective. I hope that this isn't of concern though, because everyone should dance.
My own thoughts now that I'm not constricted to my couch: still love it. I can get off my chair and grab a reference from my library without any worry. I can, like my friends, dance around my living room without blasting my neighbors (well I still do that, in my opinion there's nothing better than a serious sound system at full volume--but i don't do it as often). And I've never once wished it was shorter. It comes with velcro wraps, and I've found that when I don't need the length they come in handy.
So yeah there is my update.
I guess as an added listening experience I will say that I have moved off my McIntosh for the most part, and that plugging these into a laptop with my Dragonfly is pretty darned decent! Definitely acceptable. At around 50% vol. they continue to immerse and envelope my soul and drive me to nirvana.
Cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dance till they quit stuffing money in your pants my friend!!    And speaking of Nirvana  .... does she have a sister?  :wink:

All kidding aside, that's why we all take part in this crazy quest for musical heaven and at 64 myself. I'd rather wear a rut in the grass than be planted under it.  Enjoy!

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #2,897 of 6,742
  Got my Elear up for sale here if anyone in the UK is interested. A little over 1 month old, pristine condition, I couldn't part with my HE-560 so I'm selling both and moved to the HE-1000.

Was thinking the same thing. I am sure HE1000 would be better than both (less dynamic than Elear but better overall than He560).

But after reading so many reviews and comparisons I do not think there would be a very big step up to justify the cost. Rather I would keep HD800, K812, Elear and HE560 and use depending on the mood, type of song or amp pairing at the situation. He1000 would be overall better but smaller margins I guess

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #2,898 of 6,742
Well, after ordering an Elear, and then canceling because of all the reports of problems, and then seeing the reports drying up, and all the positive statements about what great headphones they are, I finally got a chance to do some extensive listening to them with a Ayres Codex, and they sounded pretty screw*** UNBELIEVABLE.  Last week I put my 650's on the shelf and bought an Elear.  They're not broken in yet, but I'm listening them through a Schiit BF Multibit and Liquid Carbon 2.  I've got no complaints about the weight, or the cord (but have ordered a 10ft balanced cord), and I love how it sounds, and like, most of you, I'm a happy camper.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #2,899 of 6,742
Was thinking the same thing. I am sure HE1000 would be better than both (less dynamic than Elear but better overall than He560).

But after reading so many reviews and comparisons I do not think there would be a very big step up to justify the cost. Rather I would keep HD800, K812, Elear and HE560 and use depending on the mood, type of song or amp pairing at the situation. He1000 would be overall better but smaller margins I guess

I had an issue with my 1000's, the headband was loose, I went back to my 560's after four days of using the 1000's and it's a huge drop in performance, in every way. And I consider the 560 a more capable headphone than the Elear.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #2,900 of 6,742

The HE1000 and Utopia are both a huge step up from the Elear. No comparison really and not should there be given the price differential.

Whether they are worth the extra money to you is a question only you can answer.

For me? Having heard all three there's no going back to the Elear for me...

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #2,901 of 6,742
The HE1000 and Utopia are both a huge step up from the Elear. No comparison really and not should there be given the price differential.

Whether they are worth the extra money to you is a question only you can answer.

For me? Having heard all three there's no going back to the Elear for me...

I do respect your view  and yes Utopia and HE1000s are better. However they are no perfect. Reviews done show that all high end gear has  problem areas including Utopia and HE1000 and LCD4. Beside the price some say they would prefer Elear base in Utopia and for some mids are not as classy as another. I am sure you already know about it.

I was thinking about this. I come to realise that one size fit for all is not the best approach in hifi gear. So if I say OK I am going to sell all my other HPs and settle to Utopia or LCD4 etc then I am still left with un-perfected one but good in one many ways

As such I am going to stick with 4 pairs and use them accordingly knowing what strength and weaknesses are in them. Classical- HD800, Female vocals where I am in the mood for treble sparkles - K812, Acoustic music HE560 and other Elear. When I am in joyful or hi energy mood Elear and when I want to lay back and rest HE560. I can connect 3 cans to Violectric  V281 and also have Mojo running in the same Aries Mini connect to Mojo running AKG (my preferred amp for AKG 812).

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #2,902 of 6,742
I do respect your view  and yes Utopia and HE1000s are better. However they are no perfect. Reviews done show that all high end gear has  problem areas including Utopia and HE1000 and LCD4. Beside the price some say they would prefer Elear base in Utopia and for some mids are not as classy as another. I am sure you already know about it.

I was thinking about this. I come to realise that one size fit for all is not the best approach in hifi gear. So if I say OK I am going to sell all my other HPs and settle to Utopia or LCD4 etc then I am still left with un-perfected one but good in one many ways

As such I am going to stick with 4 pairs and use them accordingly knowing what strength and weaknesses are in them. Classical- HD800, Female vocals where I am in the mood for treble sparkles - K812, Acoustic music HE560 and other Elear. When I am in joyful or hi energy mood Elear and when I want to lay back and rest HE560. I can connect 3 cans to Violectric  V281 and also have Mojo running in the same Aries Mini connect to Mojo running AKG (my preferred amp for AKG 812).

For me the Utopia are near problem free, certainly near enough for me to be happy. That said they are so expensive so if the HEK comes close enough I may swap and leave it at that. I haven't seen any serious reviews (except Bob Katz) who suggest any major flaws in the Utopia either. Minor quibbles yes, big flaws, no. Out of interest have you actually heard them?

I don't want 4 or 5 pairs of headphones, Just one that does the job extremely well.

As I say, taking price in to account the Elear is the better value-by a long way, probably the best value mid tier headphone there is-but it is far from as close to perfection as the Utopia is.

That said if my budget were no more than $1k I would by the Elear without a second thought.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #2,903 of 6,742

Hello,

So, I bought the Elear and the price I paid in store was less than the 1000,- EUR. So, I couldn't resist.

My main gear is the Meridian Prime Headphone Amp with the Prime Power Supply. For the analog section I have a Transrotor FatBob turntable attached and for USB a Mac with iTunes. I know a few good Headphones, but haven't heard the Utopia, the LCD-4 or the HE1000 yet. Not easy to find them in the high-north-west Germany. 

I think most reviews nail them quite good but maybe I have some points to add. Musicwise it’s from Opera to Heavy Metal. Therefore, Allrounder are high on my list.

In contradiction to most I like the long cable. Excellent, freedom to move around. Anyway. Now for the Sound:

What I like:

Works brilliantly with the Prime. One of the great pairings.
Sound is very direct and they aren't on the slow, relaxed side. Goood
Stage is wide enough horizontal. For me it doesn’t need to be as wide as a HD800
Its only slightly on the warm side and as such very neutral for me.
The Mid section is very good
Heights are good but sometimes there can be a harsh / sharp edge
Guitars are very good displayed. Same goes for the Drums and Piano
Voices are generally very good, nearly

What's is soso:
The Instrument separation its sometimes not as clear as it can be
The "Dip" is there and maybe some will argue but I don't bother.
Female Voices are normally very good, but sometimes there is a bit meh.... but so far I would probably blame the recording not the headphone

Con's:
Soundstage in vertical. The Horizontal works very good, but the vertical direction is very, very narrow. This results in a less 3D Effect in placing front to back. There are better ones!!!
Burnin-time - play for way more than 150hrs before the Elear woke up. Before mine was lacking on bass section. Not necessary by detail but space as bass is one of the areas very you also have to feel the sound. I was very disappointed at the beginning. Normally I’m used to Mid or Heights but not Bass.
Bass is very good once burned-in but lacks a bit of feel. 

Where would I place the Elear?

1)   1.  From a money perspective: Unbelievable.
2)   2.  From Sound Experience: A Good allrounder. There are better ones in some parts and of course all areas. But none once the financials are part of it.

Comparisons:
Hifiman HEX - Simply not as good. Easily beaten by the Elear
HD800 -  In Brilliance and Stage the Elear is best a good second. But the HD800 is not and never an allrounder. Once your music selection goes from left to right the Elear wins.
LCD-X - Well this is the one where I say the Elear cannot win. They are very similar, but from an overall presentation the X is just better.  The X is better in the 3D and overall music perception and bass. For me still the best allrounder out there. But here is the point: The Elear is 93-95% LCD-X for half the price.

Final Verdic:

It really depends on your Budget – If its just around 1000,- then it’s a no brainer. If you have more to play around maybe spend the plus money for DAC or Amp. But if there is cash around then do a Elear vs LCD-X comparison.

B

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2,908 of 6,742
The Elear doesn't have a treble spike to my ears. Sure, a poor recording with spikes will be shown for what it is but the headphone itself does not have treble trouble...

Of course the Elear has not a Treble problem. Not at all. Not permanent as the boerps wants to understand...
Its not just that refined (otherwise it would be an Utopia based on the reviews) where i think from Frequency response it gets a bling once in a while. 

B

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #2,909 of 6,742

Can some other people comment on that?
I'm considering an Elear but harsh/sharp treble would be a major problem for me.

I just got them but I do concur, no harsh treble but there is a peak and sometimes you just wince with a harsh note, I need further time with them to pin this down...
In my case need to burn in I don't know if this settles over time...

It's not really that the treble is shrieky or anything just more like somewhere in the FR there is a +X dB peak, maybe this can be EQ'ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back