Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #2,701 of 6,742
I've used mine today (briefly) with a Nuforce HA200 and my Mojo in line out mode. To say it's made a difference is an understatement. The bass is now rock solid, much more impact.

It feels like the Elear are now being properly driven where the Mojo on its own was OK, but now feels like it was trying to hard and didn't have enough control on the cans. The Mojo amp has energy, but this is different.

I tried an ADI-2 Pro from RME last week and whilst it was very revealing and resolving, it also, looking back was a bit too polite. On paper it was powerful enough but not close to the Nuforce amp in reality.

Not sure how many have tried this combo but it appears to be a good and cost effective option so far.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2,702 of 6,742
I mentioned a few posts back that I felt the elear was under-amped by a mojo alone. From the quick scan of feedback from people I think the majority of people who really felt (or should I say heard) the mid-range dip were running straight from the mojo also.

I'm using a Beyerdynamic A1 which is a beautifully neutral amp but with a dirty great transformer and it keeps an iron grip on them as well (well it did-they've got back now and the Utopia's arrive tomorrow :) ). I didn't really notice a dip in the mid or upper ranges either.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2,703 of 6,742
I mentioned a few posts back that I felt the elear was under-amped by a mojo alone. From the quick scan of feedback from people I think the majority of people who really felt (or should I say heard) the mid-range dip were running straight from the mojo also.

I'm using a Beyerdynamic A1 which is a beautifully neutral amp but with a dirty great transformer and it keeps an iron grip on them as well (well it did-they've got back now and the Utopia's arrive tomorrow :) ). I didn't really notice a dip in the mid or upper ranges either.

Based on what I've heard the difference, particularly to bottom end impact and control is significant. It's like they're being told what to do now instead of being politely asked.

I had been thinking about other 'proper' amps, V200, Sugden HA4, Burson, Lehmann but to be honest I'm very pleased with the difference this has made.

God knows what the Utopia will sound like, but you'll soon be able to tell us.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,704 of 6,742

As this is precisely why I had to try them.  I thought I'd reached my ceiling when I got the Beyerdynamic T1.2's but the Elear is much more capable for very similar money.

But then thinking about the Utopia - asking myself can it really be *that* good - I've just got to find out!

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #2,705 of 6,742
Based on what I've heard the difference, particularly to bottom end impact and control is significant. It's like they're being told what to do now instead of being politely asked.

I had been thinking about other 'proper' amps, V200, Sugden HA4, Burson, Lehmann but to be honest I'm very pleased with the difference this has made.

Well. I do agree that whilst Mojo could drive it to loudness required my Violectric V850 balanced-> Violectric V281-> Elear Single ended does sound better- I think it bring mids and highs out better. V281 has 2x V200 amps that you mentioned but only come to use it in balanced mode (Balance mode is absolutely must for inefficent hifiman He6 HE560 or HE500). I am still wondering to spend that money for Balanced cable for Elear

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #2,707 of 6,742
You're not alone it has happened to many of us here send them back my replacements are great..

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #2,708 of 6,742

As this is precisely why I had to try them.  I thought I'd reached my ceiling when I got the Beyerdynamic T1.2's but the Elear is much more capable for very similar money.

But then thinking about the Utopia - asking myself can it really be *that* good - I've just got to find out!

Scratch that itch!

Curiosity always kills the Cat Budget!
beyersmile.png

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #2,709 of 6,742
The reason i would recommend a utopia if you have the money is that once you spend the money you will have a huge benchmark for headphones in other words when you have one of the best its hard to back. The elear hit that spot for me in the $1500 and less range. I think ppl are ripping themselves off a bit spending more on something that slightly better instead of a step up.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,710 of 6,742
The reason i would recommend a utopia if you have the money is that once you spend the money you will have a huge benchmark for headphones in other words when you have one of the best its hard to back.

That's what we all say...at first....at least until the Next Great One comes along in two weeks.
biggrin.gif

The Rabbit Hole has never been wider and deeper.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #2,712 of 6,742

That's what we all say...at first....at least until the Next Great One comes along in two weeks.
biggrin.gif

The Rabbit Hole has never been wider and deeper.

''Two weeks'', please don't say that, I just bit the bullit and bought the Utopia! and this was ten days ago!.
frown.gif

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #2,713 of 6,742
Sorry, hae to agree with the Maestro, there will definitely be something else to covet down the road, maybe not in 2 weeks, but there'll be other companies trying to upend the Utopia, not to mention at some point the Utopia v2 (done this already with the HE-1000...at some point, you have to step off the upgrade escalator, it can go on forever. Or not, if you've got the desire and the green).

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #2,714 of 6,742
Sorry, hae to agree with the Maestro, there will definitely be something else to covet down the road, maybe not in 2 weeks, but there'll be other companies trying to upend the Utopia, not to mention at some point the Utopia v2 (done this already with the HE-1000...at some point, you have to step off the upgrade escalator, it can go on forever. Or not, if you've got the desire and the green).

That is precisely why the concept of "endgame" eludes me.  The journey is the prize.  There will be more headphones and music to follow.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #2,715 of 6,742
I agree there'll be something me I the future however for their price points there Elear and Utopia will still be exceptional.

Don't forget also to some people's ears a company makes a headphone of a quality never repeated in future releases (Sony R10 anyone) and whilst the new model is technically better they lose something that made the original magical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back