Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #2,296 of 6,742
To me HD800 excels in terms of technical performance than Elear. With HD800s you get immensely wide soundstage
and superb imaging that probably no other headphones can do.

However, the staging can get diffused for certain songs, not to mention the occasional spikes on treble.
Elear is a unique pair of headphones that does stand up in its price category. The bass response is probably the best out of an open acoustic headphones. If you manage to get a good fit, the soundstage is actually less intimidating than first impression.
Also I should mention that these two headphones are completely different sounding headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
there is not a winner.
I can't wait to demo Utopia despite its price tag.

Not even Focal Utopia?

evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #2,298 of 6,742
I own the hd800S and in all honesty I prefer the elear over them. You need way to many factors with the hd800 to get the most out of it. Where with the elear you csn pretty much connect it to any dac and you are good.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #2,299 of 6,742
Just got my second pair of Elear today and once again, there is buzzing/rattling in the left driver. I was testing them using the following site: 

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

When I test this pair I get distinct buzz/rattle only in the left ear cup between 10hz and 70hz and then it isn't as noticeable. Once over 80hz it turns into a slight buzz/distortion that isn't easy to pick up but is there. I've tried switching the cable headphone connectors (put left in right ear cup and vice versa) to make sure it isn't the recording on the website. Again with the right input in the left ear cup and the left driver buzz/rattles. 

Just want to do a sanity check here and see if anyone else detects these issues with their headphones in the lower frequencies. I love how these sound, but this is my second pair with the same issue. Going to try one more time before giving up. I have purchased both pairs from Crutchfield and am having them check their inventory and confirm different shipments before sending me another pair. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #2,301 of 6,742
Just got my second pair of Elear today and once again, there is buzzing/rattling in the left driver. I was testing them using the following site: 

When I test this pair I get distinct buzz/rattle only in the left ear cup between 10hz and 70hz and then it isn't as noticeable. Once over 80hz it turns into a slight buzz/distortion that isn't easy to pick up but is there. I've tried switching the cable headphone connectors (put left in right ear cup and vice versa) to make sure it isn't the recording on the website. Again with the right input in the left ear cup and the left driver buzz/rattles. 

Just want to do a sanity check here and see if anyone else detects these issues with their headphones in the lower frequencies. I love how these sound, but this is my second pair with the same issue. Going to try one more time before giving up. I have purchased both pairs from Crutchfield and am having them check their inventory and confirm different shipments before sending me another pair. 

That's rare and unlucky. I have never heard of driver rattling on Elear but getting defective headphones twice must be frustrating.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #2,302 of 6,742
  Oh Mannn

Don't put me in this kind o situation....

LOL!

deadhorse.gif

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our answer ... audio gear wins. Very good choice.
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #2,303 of 6,742
That's rare and unlucky. I have never heard of driver rattling on Elear but getting defective headphones twice must be frustrating.

Absolutely is. I received my first pair on 1/11/17 and my second pair today on 2/1/17. Should find out tomorrow if the 2 pairs left in their warehouse are from the same shipment or not. We'll see how it goes. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #2,304 of 6,742

Just want to do a sanity check here and see if anyone else detects these issues with their headphones in the lower frequencies. I love how these sound, but this is my second pair with the same issue. Going to try one more time before giving up. I have purchased both pairs from Crutchfield and am having them check their inventory and confirm different shipments before sending me another pair. gard around the e

i had the same problem with my first pair. only noticed it on one song "hey you" by pink floyd on cd. i could see the left driver visibly bounce and hit the earpad. my local store sent them back and i recieved my new pair about a week later. no problems with this pair and they sound better then the first pair. funny with my first pair , bass heavy songs sounded ok, just that one bass frequency in Hey You that popped very loudly. hopefully you will get a pair from a different batch and it will be good. they really are a great headphone

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #2,305 of 6,742
New Elear owner here! I've heard many describe the Elear as "punchy" which I would definitely agree with. I'm not sure that my ears can handle it. After a while I get issues with fatigue and the punch feels harsh. I didn't have a similar experience with the Utopias.

Mine also have the rattling issue xinghui0711 :weary: I think I'll probably end up returning them, which bums me out. They're a beautiful set of headphones.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #2,306 of 6,742
Wow, lots and lots of issues being reported with these phones. The distortion reports are very concerning. They should have an issue like that sorted out well before mass production.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #2,307 of 6,742
Wow, lots and lots of issues being reported with these phones. The distortion reports are very concerning. They should have an issue like that sorted out well before mass production.

New Elear owner here! I've heard many describe the Elear as "punchy" which I would definitely agree with. I'm not sure that my ears can handle it. After a while I get issues with fatigue and the punch feels harsh. I didn't have a similar experience with the Utopias.

Mine also have the rattling issue xinghui0711 :weary: I think I'll probably end up returning them, which bums me out. They're a beautiful set of headphones.

IIRC, Focal did a recall from dealers for the early production batch units. They also stated that there shouldn't be anymore of those on market.
Mine doesn't have any problem, but I hope Focal would stand out and clarify the issue. QC can greatly affect the reputation of headphones.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #2,308 of 6,742
The punchiness is partly due to high xmax, also partly due the earpad design which limits directivity, much like the effect of cupping your hands over your mouth, or a horn in speaker terms. Most of the punchiness goes away with larger earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back