Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #2,177 of 6,742
  It's good to see people giving Liquid Inertia (LQi) a go. I definitely think they're a good option if you want to keep the cost down some.

I'm baffled why more people aren't opting for the Beyerdynamic T1.2 cables, which work perfectly with the Elear and are very high quality.  They're made from OCC 7N copper, are heavy duty, cloth covered, and professionally manufactured (sorry, I'm not a fan of the DIY-looking cables).  When you feel the cable, it definitely gives you the impression of "quality", not "cheap" like most manufacturer's cables.  And without a doubt, the quality is better than the many custom cables, often just made from $0.65/foot Mogami quad cable or something similar.

They have there options - short, long, and balanced - and the prices are better than even the cheapest custom options.  With the coupon "welcome11", you can save another 5%.

1.4M = $105 (http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/audiophile-connection-cable-1-40-m.html)
3.0M = $119 (http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/audiophile-connection-cable-3-0-m-textile.html)
3.0M Balanced = $145 (http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/connection-cable-audiophile-3m-balanced.html)

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #2,178 of 6,742
  When i read this review I really really thought that whoever "Kyle" is, he must be on some very potent Hallucinogens and Dissociative Drugs or at very least, he really should speak to his Dr to get his Schizophrenia meds titrated back to therapeutic levels.  Was this a paid review?  This certainly wasn't an owner/user review since he mentions it was a month long loan.  Let me go over just a few of his descriptive terms he used in the review to describe the Elear and other headphones mentioned.

From the top to the bottom of the review  " Heavy, grainy, roughness in the lower mids and bass, lack of refinement, slow decay, blanketed low end, Wooly (whatever the hell that means), low end sounds slow and lumbering,  midrange dip, unnatural presentation that’s often distracting and even fatiguing, distant, closed in, congested, veiled, and finally, the headphone gave him a headache by the end of the very first song."

Then just a few paragraphs down he states 'But despite my problems with it, it would be disingenuous to outright not recommend the Elear. "  AND  "If a random person emailed me asking, “Should I buy the HD800 or the Elear?” I could picture myself recommending the Elear over the HD800 4/5 times because it’s doesn’t require the ridiculous system matching and sounds better for more music than the HD800. "

He used the descriptive terms above to describe HIS opinion of the sound signature and then recommends the HP to 4 of 5 people who would email him as a comparison to the Sen 800. Not only that but he managed to virtually trash as many as 7 different headphones along with the Elear during the review.

Now, I ask you, if indeed the sound signature of the Elear actually had even a quarter of the problems stated during his review let alone give you a headache by the end of the first song. would YOU have recommended the headphone 4 out of 5 times?  Would you even buy ANY of the mentioned headphones.
I can only say that after this hack job review, He needs to tow that garbage truck back to the garage because he just stripped the gears

my 2 cents: why don't you post similar on his site (but without the pugnacious tone)
and await his reply...this way he could reply with his rationale for such.
always good to better understand another's perspective with prof and respectful f/u..not that you agree with it.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #2,179 of 6,742

I'm baffled why more people aren't opting for the Beyerdynamic T1.2 cables, which work perfectly with the Elear and are very high quality.  They're made from OCC 7N copper, are heavy duty, cloth covered, and professionally manufactured (sorry, I'm not a fan of the DIY-looking cables).  When you feel the cable, it definitely gives you the impression of "quality", not "cheap" like most manufacturer's cables.  And without a doubt, the quality is better than the many custom cables, often just made from $0.65/foot Mogami quad cable or something similar.

They have there options - short, long, and balanced - and the prices are better than even the cheapest custom options.  With the coupon "welcome11", you can save another 5%.

1.4M = $105 (http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/audiophile-connection-cable-1-40-m.html)
3.0M = $119 (http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/audiophile-connection-cable-3-0-m-textile.html)
3.0M Balanced = $145 (http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/connection-cable-audiophile-3m-balanced.html)

Those cables are very nice and I would have gone with one but I wanted a 2.5mm 4 pole termination and a matching 3.5mm adapter. I got that for slightly more than the beyerdynamic balanced cable. I do agree with you on the aesthetics, though. I prefer a high-quality OEM look and feel.

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #2,180 of 6,742

my 2 cents: why don't you post similar on his site (but without the pugnacious tone)
and await his reply...this way he could reply with his rationale for such.
always good to better understand another's perspective with prof and respectful f/u..not that you agree with it.

Well first Canali let me say that quoting you was only for reference purposes for the link, not that you were advocating his point of view.

Secondarily, I am a member of Head-Fi and not whatever forum or entity on which the review was posted.  If the Russians hacked the site tomorrow, I'd never know it. 

Thirdly, with the inconsistent thought pattern that he exhibits in the review, I'm almost certain that there isn't much he could do to explain (at least to me) why he would totally pan not only one headphone, but multiple headphones and then say he would recommend someone buy one over the other.  Simply put, to use his words only, "it would be disingenuous".

Finally, and please this is not aimed at you or anyone in particular, I don't give a rats patooty how good, or how bad or how veiled, or how muddy, or how recessed or how ..... fill in the blanks the Elear seems to someone else. I care about how they sound to ME and me only. The same goes for any headphone, amp, or other equipment i own.  If asked for information or my opinion requested I supply one and in turn, I respect the right for others to say that I am full of Taura-feces also. It is MY ears, music and other equipment that make a sound profile that is pleasing to me, just as it should be YOUR ears, music, and other equipment that should please you.  I choose to be here at Head-Fi as a channel of research, to keep up with innovation, to help folks when and if I can and honestly for entertainment at times. There is only one review that anyone should have absolute faith in. YOUR EARS. 

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #2,181 of 6,742
  Well first Canali let me say that quoting you was only for reference purposes for the link, not that you were advocating his point of view.

Secondarily, I am a member of Head-Fi and not whatever forum or entity on which the review was posted.  If the Russians hacked the site tomorrow, I'd never know it. 

Thirdly, with the inconsistent thought pattern that he exhibits in the review, I'm almost certain that there isn't much he could do to explain (at least to me) why he would totally pan not only one headphone, but multiple headphones and then say he would recommend someone buy one over the other.  Simply put, to use his words only, "it would be disingenuous".

Finally, and please this is not aimed at you or anyone in particular, I don't give a rats patooty how good, or how bad or how veiled, or how muddy, or how recessed or how ..... fill in the blanks the Elear seems to someone else. I care about how they sound to ME and me only. The same goes for any headphone, amp, or other equipment i own.  If asked for information or my opinion requested I supply one and in turn, I respect the right for others to say that I am full of Taura-feces also. It is MY ears, music and other equipment that make a sound profile that is pleasing to me, just as it should be YOUR ears, music, and other equipment that should please you.  I choose to be here at Head-Fi as a channel of research, to keep up with innovation, to help folks when and if I can and honestly for entertainment at times. There is only one review that anyone should have absolute faith in. YOUR EARS. 

np i didn't take it personally.
and as you'll note in my post after it, i concur with you:
in the end, we all have to decide for ourselves if we like something, based on prefs, 
skills and knowing what we've tried/liked/disliked before.....just thought it was an interesting review, being different, is all.

we see these differences in opinin in can/iems all the time: what is great for bassheads, for example, is not embraced by many others (and vice versa). what is one's gold is another's thumbs down....in the end if something makes you smile and tap your toes, is all that matters...until you discover the next pair, that is 
wink.gif

happy listening man 
beerchug.gif

cheers

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #2,182 of 6,742

np i didn't take it personally.
and as you'll note in my post after it, i concur with you:
in the end, we all have to decide for ourselves if we like something, based on prefs, 
skills and knowing what we've tried/liked/disliked before.....just thought it was an interesting review, being different, is all.

we see these differences in opinin in can/iems all the time: what is great for bassheads, for example, is not embraced by many others (and vice versa). what is one's gold is another's thumbs down....in the end if something makes you smile and tap your toes, is all that matters...until you discover the next pair, that is 
wink.gif

happy listening man 
beerchug.gif

cheers

Same to you Cavali  Enjoy!

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #2,183 of 6,742

great post Mark!!   thanks

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,184 of 6,742
listening to my senn hd650s...with ifi micro idsd...didn't like these a few mo ago
(was listening to closed cans with a bass hump mostly)...but now i can understand 
why they're still so popular for bang for buck.

this said, there are a set of focal elear cans i could get (used/great shape) for US$855....
so is very tempting.

just want to ensure these would be a significant step up in SQ
...and this way (elears) i don't have to pay $4k for the utopias (not yet anyway
wink.gif
)
comparative feedback welcomed.

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,185 of 6,742
  listening to my senn hd650s...with ifi micro idsd...didn't like these a few mo ago
(was listening to closed cans with a bass hump mostly)...but now i can understand 

this said, there are a set of focal elear cans i could get (used/great shape) for US$855....
so is very tempting.

...and this way (elears) i don't have to pay $4k for the utopias (not yet anyway
wink.gif
)

I didn't own them both at the same time but from my memory, it is a significant but logical step up going from HD650 to Elear. For me, the Elear wins every category except for comfort and value. The are heavier with more clamp but still very comfy. I think they're worth the asking price but other's have disagreed, stating the Elear as not being a big enough upgrade to warrant the price. I disagree with that. The build and design are miles ahead, even though the HD650 is very well built. In my opinion, the HD650 is darker and more laid back than the Elear. The Elear is more engaging, dynamic, detailed and exciting across the range. The HD650 sound veiled by comparison. The Elear's bass absolutely destroys the HD650 IMO YMMV. The soundstage and musicality is about the same from what I can recall. To me, there is no question that the Elear is the better headphone. At $855, I'd definitely take the plunge if I were you. If you like the HD650, you will love the Elear.

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,186 of 6,742
I didn't own them both at the same time but from my memory, it is a significant but logical step up going from HD650 to Elear. For me, the Elear wins every category except for comfort and value. The are heavier with more clamp but still very comfy. I think they're worth the asking price but other's have disagreed, stating the Elear as not being a big enough upgrade to warrant the price. I disagree with that. The build and design are miles ahead, even though the HD650 is very well built. In my opinion, the HD650 is darker and more laid back than the Elear. The Elear is more engaging, dynamic, detailed and exciting across the range. The HD650 sound veiled by comparison. The Elear's bass absolutely destroys the HD650 IMO YMMV. The soundstage and musicality is about the same from what I can recall. To me, there is no question that the Elear is the better headphone. At $855, I'd definitely take the plunge if I were you. If you like the HD650, you will love the Elear.

There is no such thing called "value" anymore when you move on to high-end headphones beyond $300 price tag. Just my 2 cents.

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,187 of 6,742

From the top to the bottom of the review  " Heavy, grainy, roughness in the lower mids and bass, lack of refinement, slow decay, blanketed low end, Wooly (whatever the hell that means), low end sounds slow and lumbering,  midrange dip, unnatural presentation that’s often distracting and even fatiguing, distant, closed in, congested, veiled"

That's what I would agree with :)

But I agree with u, that I it is paradoxical that he recommends the Elear so often when he hears so many flaws.

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #2,188 of 6,742

so is very tempting.

wink.gif
)

I have both HD650 and Elear and use them with idsd and hifi-m8. Elear is certainly not a significant step up in SQ. It will do some things better (bass, clarity) and other things worse (tonal balance). It is up to personal taste.

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #2,189 of 6,742
  I have both HD650 and Elear and use them with idsd and hifi-m8. Elear is certainly not a significant step up in SQ. It will do some things better (bass, clarity) and other things worse (tonal balance). It is up to personal taste.

thanks...esp at 3-4x the price....next wkend i'll visit my local headfi shop to demo them aside my 650s.

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #2,190 of 6,742
Yes, but take it with a grain of salt. Some may agree, some may disagree. Elear is a polarising headphone. Best would be too listen and judge yourself :)

I also don't think Elear is a logical step up from HD650 as they are more rough and not as smooth and are more agressive sounding than the HD650. Imo Audeze would be the logical upgrade from HD650 if you can stand the comfort issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back