Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #1,906 of 6,742
Very good information guys I had know idea I could drive my Elear's with my iphone never tried it I will now thanks..enjoy

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #1,907 of 6,742
Do a quick back and forth between phone and desktop amp and see what you think. I never thought of trying it either ha. The Elear is definetly easier to drive then most cans that I have been listening to as of late. But just so used to using desktop setups, I never gave it a chance

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,909 of 6,742
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had had any popping/clicking sounds in their left driver when the volume is turned up loud and there is a deep bass playing? Elears are my first high-end headphones so I didn't know if this was a thing. Maybe driving them too much but there was no distortion just popping/clicking in the left driver with certain low end frequencies.

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,910 of 6,742
  Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had had any popping/clicking sounds in their left driver when the volume is turned up loud and there is a deep bass playing? Elears are my first high-end headphones so I didn't know if this was a thing. Maybe driving them too much but there was no distortion just popping/clicking in the left driver with certain low end frequencies.

See:

Quote:
Dear FLTWS and all,

Following the recent questions about drivers issues, I would like to precise that they came from new production on a limited number of headphones.

Focal has personally taken on all concerned customers' headphones. These issues are no longer topical.

Be sure, that we still pay close attention to our products quality and there is no other issue on Utopia and Elear manufacturing.

Best regards,

Marine, Community Manager Focal

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #1,911 of 6,742

Mine did that I returned them this pair is flawless couldn't be happier..enjoy
  See:

Quote:
Dear FLTWS and all,

Following the recent questions about drivers issues, I would like to precise that they came from new production on a limited number of headphones.

Focal has personally taken on all concerned customers' headphones. These issues are no longer topical.

Be sure, that we still pay close attention to our products quality and there is no other issue on Utopia and Elear manufacturing.

Best regards,

Marine, Community Manager Focal

Excellent I didn't see that post thanks..

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #1,914 of 6,742

Yes, exactly the same experience, except with the right driver predictably, and only rarely with the left driver.

Edit: In my case, definitely not driving them too hard. Peak level was low 80s. Peak levels in live orchestral performance can go far above this.
No other issues, the Elear offers a high quality SQ for it's type and price level. Probably just a borderline performance anomaly in some of the drivers.
A new headphone driver design that deserves all the attention it is getting.

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #1,915 of 6,742
As advised above, and before in this thread on several occasions, contact Focal (or your authorized dealer). That obviously shouldn't happen and they appear to be both aware of the situation, and also very happy to remediate. Cheers!

On an aside: I listen at pretty moderate volumes and haven't turned my amp up past the 46% marker, and am wondering if I should. Make sure I don't have any of these issues. Just not sure my ears can handle it!

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #1,916 of 6,742

I have the same issue. However, I only experience it when using my Oppo HA-2 with high gain, bass boost, and bass-heavy music. Additionally, I only notice the clicks when I take the headphones off and listen from outside the cups. The Elear doesn't require high gain or bass boost (IMO) and I usually listen at a moderate volume so it's a non-issue for me. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #1,917 of 6,742
Well after a hour or so with my balanced cables their sound is not what I was expecting please keep in mind these are a very inexpenive set of cables, The first thing that I noticed where's the bass the Elear's have a wonderful sounding bass for me. In fact the sound stage was also much smaller, I'm not saying a balanced cable will diminish the sq of the Elear's but this cheap cable sure did. I'll be sending it back just hard to bring my self to spending 250. + on a cable just me.. enjoy

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #1,919 of 6,742
I'm not sure I only paid like 22. it's a 3.5 to male xlr mono (2) no good that's for sure..

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,920 of 6,742
what is the best way to counter the dip in upper Mid. Currently i am using EQ of +3 at 4KHZ.
This dip really makes me want something more. Also  reading lot of great review about Sony Z1R, but is it worth spending $1300 more.
Also I see the after sell support from Focal is great and they are easier to reach compared to Sony, but thats my observation only from reading threads may not be true.
Any suggestion to counter this hollowness in upper mid in Elear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back