Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #1,831 of 6,742
I have both,the Ether Flow is a bit more refined while the Elear is more dynamic and energetic....I love the Elear for a portable option with my Mojo....the Ether Flow is 800 dollars more but to be honest it is more of a preference for refined vs dynamic IMHO because I think they are both brilliant options and for the price I think the Elear is the best HP currently available

How about comfort? Weight? Ear pad size/depth?

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #1,832 of 6,742
How about comfort? Weight? Ear pad size/depth?

From my review on the Elear, i think they we're pretty comfortable to me. The only thing i was constantly shifting was that real heavy cable. Otherwise it's good. But for certain head shapes and sizes that might differ. Try them at a store before buying. That's what i would recommend. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #1,833 of 6,742
Jan 3, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #1,834 of 6,742
Just ordered a balanced cable ( I only buy low cost cables spending 100.00's on a cable makes no sense) for my Elear's curious to see if I can hear any differences (probably not), I've been running all my gear in balanced mode..enjoy

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #1,835 of 6,742
Just ordered a balanced cable ( I only buy low cost cables spending 100.00's on a cable makes no sense) for my Elear's curious to see if I can hear any differences (probably not), I've been running all my gear in balanced mode..enjoy

Please keep me updated. I would be curious to find out about the difference in sound quality (if there is a difference).

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #1,836 of 6,742
I've listened to the Elear with my HTC10, not add good add written the home amp/dac, but definitely enjoyable.

Hi there,

I have the exact same setup although I bumped into an issue...there are small noticeable hiccups during playback like the phone is busy with something else ... I also connected to my htc10+mojo and even turned on the airplane mode( no wifi, no Bluetooth) still occurs I tried to disable some background apps like WhatsApp and Viber, still sometimes happen the playback stops for a sec or even less and coming back....

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #1,837 of 6,742
  Hi there,

I have the exact same setup although I bumped into an issue...there are small noticeable hiccups during playback like the phone is busy with something else ... I also connected to my htc10+mojo and even turned on the airplane mode( no wifi, no Bluetooth) still occurs I tried to disable some background apps like WhatsApp and Viber, still sometimes happen the playback stops for a sec or even less and coming back....

Use an iPhone and you'll never have hiccup issues. Android is just that inefficient in multitasking compared to iOS.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #1,838 of 6,742
I've listened to the Elear with my HTC10, not add good add written the home amp/dac, but definitely enjoyable.

Hi there,

I haven't used it much with an external amp/dac, but I have been oK with playback. I mostly stream WFMU,the best radio station in the universe, from their app.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #1,839 of 6,742
I have both,the Ether Flow is a bit more refined while the Elear is more dynamic and energetic....I love the Elear for a portable option with my Mojo....the Ether Flow is 800 dollars more but to be honest it is more of a preference for refined vs dynamic IMHO because I think they are both brilliant options and for the price I think the Elear is the best HP currently available

I listened to both the Ehter Flow and Elear. Preferred the Ether in the mids and highs where it was tonally very pure and true, but it lacked the punch in the lower frequencies. If you could blend them together....well, I think you'd get the LCD3 with a tad less bass. And that would be my preference, which it was.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #1,840 of 6,742
  The midrange dip does show up in the measurements of the Elear, it's a rather sudden dip in the upper midrange/lower treble and it spikes back up in the mid-upper treble ranges, some people find this problematic in terms of midrange presentation. It's not really recessed mids, the Nighthawk for example has somewhat recessed mids but it doesn't have the same situation the Elear has, the Elear suffers from a midrange dip in the presence region which is a bit different as it affects the perceived body and presence of the midrange. I have found it problematic at first but not a big deal once I adjusted to it's sound personally. Of course it does depends on peoples ears and systems, some people are more sensitive to this region than others, etc.

I think what's more problematic is songs that we listen to. Different songs, different way to record, different frequency setting. I found many audiophile recording songs will sound more to forward or have dominan vocal in Elear, while some mainstream songs, for example Taylor Swift old album (Speak Now) will have reccesed vocal with instruments are the one got pushed forward.

For me this is just reveal a good thing about Elear, it's still sensitive enough to detect the sound as what the recording intended.

It's interesting to follow the ''problem with the midrange debate''. Some hear no problem with the midrange, others do and refer to the 4khz dip in the measurements. This reference to the dip at 4khz makes me think, that maybe we are talking about this from different understandings of, what the midrange frequency range is? Here are at set of definitions on frequency ranges and instrument fundamentals, that has been used for decades in the recording industry and in speaker development:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/frequency_ranges.htm

According to these definitions the dip in the frequency response is up in the middle of the treble range. So my guess is, that people who hear no problem at all with the midrange of the Elear are referring to what they hear in midrange area (160hz - 1280hz) and are answering based on what they hear in this frequency range. Others are referring to 4khz as being in the midrange area and are referring to what they hear in this range.

Here is a link to a free online tone generator, just to get a reference point for, how different frequencies sound... http://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html

Just a thought...

This is a really good post. Exactly what's in my mind, 4k - 6k dip shouldnt be the midrange itself, but rather we may called it upper mid or lower treble.

Interesting part is, I always think dip in upper mid is neccessary because I never listen to people's voice in real life (without help on any electric sthings) having "loud" pronounce in upper mid area. Personally this is type of sound that I would call natural.

Glad your second pair suits you.  Mine have been flawless thus far.  No issue with the headphone band either (as some have apparently encountered). 

I do not really understand the mid issue that some people are referring to.   The vocals* are so well emphasized with those headphones (listening to Lord Baker by Sinead O'Connor (feat. Christy Moore), it is just a joy), they totally destroy the HE-500 in that department (some believe they have some of the best mids).   One non-negligible aspect of the Elear, they are not fatiguing at all...more important (at least for me), they are so dynamic and fun at the same time.  I do not know many headphones with that type of sound signature.   I am sure they are better headphones out there (probably not at that price range though), but I must say I have been very satisfied thus far, and bear in mind I am just driving them with the Matrix M stage HPA2.  

Also, the 4 m cable does not bother me at all...perfect for sitting on my coach while reading a book, and staying away from the computer 
atsmile.gif

* No way they sound recessed

Agree with all of this

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #1,841 of 6,742
I think what's more problematic is songs that we listen to. Different songs, different way to record, different frequency setting. I found many audiophile recording songs will sound more to forward or have dominan vocal in Elear, while some mainstream songs, for example Taylor Swift old album (Speak Now) will have reccesed vocal with instruments are the one got pushed forward.

For me this is just reveal a good thing about Elear, it's still sensitive enough to detect the sound as what the recording intended.

I totally agree with this observation made by TheMiddleSky. Please see my edited version below of a post I submitted on the Utopia thread earlier today.

Uotopia vs the Elear. Early impressions so far are proving very interesting with varying results. It seems to be dependent on the song being played. On the Utopia when it's good, it's amazing and you just get completely lost in the music. On some other tracks it can sound a bit thin/lean, less musical when compared to the Elear. Interestingly this can also happen on the Elear but to a lesser extent.
Overall I think the Elear slightly flatters more recordings than the Utopia and therefore is very good more of the time where the Utopia is more revealing of the track. Less forgiving. Neither are sibilant or fatiguing to me.

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #1,842 of 6,742
Hi!

I can also confirm that the Beyer T1.2 cable works with the Focal Elear. The only minor issue I have with the T1.2 cable is that it more easily picks up scratching noises from clothes etc. The T1.2 cable has a textile exterior compared to the original Focal Elear cable which is more rubbery. I guess I will still use the Elear original cable for this reason when not moving about. Sonically, I hear no difference between the cables otherwise.

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #1,843 of 6,742
  Oregonian, you mentioned that the Dharma was your second favorite headphone, and we've chatted on the Dharma thread some time ago. I compared the LCD series with the Elear, and ended up buying an LCD-3 on the sales form. Currently, have my Dharma and the 3. Overall, I prefer the 3, but for some recordings it sounds thick and syrupy, while the Dharma picks up more treble detail. When, I go to the Dharma, I miss the bass and warmth, though.  I'd like to marry the two-the warmth of the LCD-3 with the resolution and clarity up top of the Dharma.

I've actually thought of selling my Dharma for an Elear. I'm wondering which would make the best pair-LCD-3 + Dharma or Elear?

Elear is having more similarity to LCD3 in term of character. I think it would be wiser to complete your sound preference with Dharma. (more polarizing character)

Hi there,

Try to restart your phone. It's a common secret that if you daily or in few days restart your phone so everyting will working optimal.

It's a common problem that I got  from people in my place.

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #1,844 of 6,742
When I was in the market for headphones I was between the Dharma and the Elear (just the signatures i was looking for). After giving much head time with both and also talking at depth with a friend of mine, I realized the Elear was better for me. The reason being, The Elears bass is solid, where the Dharmas is acceptable. I also found the punchy sound of the Elear addictive and engaging. The highs on the Dharma are great, but it wasn't a big enough difference from the Elear to justify it. these are just my 2 cents mind you. Side note- if they could come out with a hybrid that could have the bass of the Elear which is practically planar like, and electrostatic highs then i would be in heaven.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #1,845 of 6,742
I was wondering if someone who had experience with both the Schiit Jotunheim and the Chord Mojo can specifically talk about their experiences with the Elear. I've been trying to find some direct comparisons between the two and haven't found much about it. I know some people have mentioned in this forum that they will be comparing the two but I haven't seen anything posted about them yet. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for this comparison so if someone would be kind enough to share their thoughts on these that would be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back