Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #1,816 of 6,742

I actually think the Elear may work better with a good SS amp.  The Elear are easy to drive, and are warm enough.   I am not sure a tube amp is necessary.   Maybe overkill?  

I am considering the Matrix M stage HPA3B, which has excellent reviews (specs wise, it is hard to get this under 1kUSD), but I would need to get a good balance cable first, then a good DAC as well...

On the Matrix M stage HPA 2, the Elear produce a very enjoyable experience, but I am sure the combination for the Schiit Gungnir + Matrix M stage HP3B should be an even more enjoyable experience.     

I don't necessarily think a tube amp would be overkill.  The WA22 may certainly be overkill, but even a lower powered tube amp would be nice for adding a bit of warmth to the mids.  It's just a personal preference, and I won't know until I try if it's a good match.

As for the M stage, I haven't heard it.  I haven't had good experiences with Chinese designed and made products, so me personally, I'd stay away from that one.

What about the Schiit Jotenhiem? 

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #1,817 of 6,742
I also thought the tube/elear amp to be redundant but I'm sure it would scale well with higher equipment. A lot of people say good things about the chord mojo even though it's slightly warm. I'm wondering if the jotunheim is a better match. As good as the reviews for the mojo are I still can't help the fact that it still seems better suited for mobile use instead of desktop use. Do you know how these differ from the hpa 2? Also what kind of difference does a balanced cable with a balanced amp/dac make with the elear? Sorry if I'm repeating questions but I'm still a noob and I tried searching the thread and couldn't find a specific answer

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #1,819 of 6,742
I'd like to hear my Elear with a good tube amp.  I'm currently only using a Dragonfly Red, but I've got a really good DAC in my speaker system I'd like to use (PS Audio DirectStream).  My dad has a Woo WA22 that I'd like to borrow and try out with the Elear.  I'm guessing that whole combination would sound outstanding.

I heard it on the WA5, and while it sounded great (as does most any HP on that amp), I think I may be one of the listeners who is more susceptible to the midrange issue. JSplice, you may have nailed why I perceive the Elear as more cold and dry.

BTW, the Elear was super efficient on the Woo. Never got the volume control past 11oclock. It seems like an easy load to drive.

I haven't seen the frequency response curve for the Utopia, but I did not hear the same characteristics on that HP. It was simply magnificent across the board. I have to stay away from it for a while, lest I start rationalizing its crazy price tag.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #1,820 of 6,742
Well I've had my Elear's back now for just a few days and all I can say is they are absolutely amazing in their sound, even at very high volumes they do great no distortion with these hp's soo happy with them & @ this price point wow..enjoy 

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #1,821 of 6,742
  Well I've had my Elear's back now for just a few days and all I can say is they are absolutely amazing in their sound, even at very high volumes they do great no distortion with these hp's soo happy with them & @ this price point wow..enjoy 

Glad your second pair suits you.  Mine have been flawless thus far.  No issue with the headphone band either (as some have apparently encountered). 

I do not really understand the mid issue that some people are referring to.   The vocals* are so well emphasized with those headphones (listening to Lord Baker by Sinead O'Connor (feat. Christy Moore), it is just a joy), they totally destroy the HE-500 in that department (some believe they have some of the best mids).   One non-negligible aspect of the Elear, they are not fatiguing at all...more important (at least for me), they are so dynamic and fun at the same time.  I do not know many headphones with that type of sound signature.   I am sure they are better headphones out there (probably not at that price range though), but I must say I have been very satisfied thus far, and bear in mind I am just driving them with the Matrix M stage HPA2.  

Also, the 4 m cable does not bother me at all...perfect for sitting on my coach while reading a book, and staying away from the computer 
atsmile.gif

* No way they sound recessed

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #1,822 of 6,742
I agree with everything you've said the mids seem fine so is the cable  these hp's are imo simply outstanding for a 1k pair of hp's, can one get better I don't think so..

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #1,823 of 6,742
I heard it on the WA5, and while it sounded great (as does most any HP on that amp), I think I may be one of the listeners who is more susceptible to the midrange issue. JSplice, you may have nailed why I perceive the Elear as more cold and dry.

BTW, the Elear was super efficient on the Woo. Never got the volume control past 11oclock. It seems like an easy load to drive.

I haven't seen the frequency response curve for the Utopia, but I did not hear the same characteristics on that HP. It was simply magnificent across the board. I have to stay away from it for a while, lest I start rationalizing its crazy price tag.

The WA5 must be a spectacular amplifier.  Probably like you said has way more power than the Elear needs, since I too have noticed how efficient they are.  I have been powering mine with a Dragonfly Red, normally having the volume in Windows 10 set to 10-15%.  I'm also not one who likes to blow my eardrums out, so I may listen more quietly than others.  I see you also own the LCD-3.  Those are amazing headphones as well.

Glad your second pair suits you.  Mine have been flawless thus far.  No issue with the headphone band either (as some have apparently encountered). 

I do not really understand the mid issue that some people are referring to.   The vocals* are so well emphasized with those headphones (listening to Lord Baker by Sinead O'Connor (feat. Christy Moore), it is just a joy), they totally destroy the HE-500 in that department (some believe they have some of the best mids).   One non-negligible aspect of the Elear, they are not fatiguing at all...more important (at least for me), they are so dynamic and fun at the same time.  I do not know many headphones with that type of sound signature.   I am sure they are better headphones out there (probably not at that price range though), but I must say I have been very satisfied thus far, and bear in mind I am just driving them with the Matrix M stage HPA2.  

Also, the 4 m cable does not bother me at all...perfect for sitting on my coach while reading a book, and staying away from the computer 
atsmile.gif

* No way they sound recessed

The midrange issue is a very hard one to describe, because it's not necessarily that the mids sound recessed to me.  It's more or less just a certain dryness that I think is caused by a dip in the frequency range that is critical for harmonics of a lot of common instruments.  This is why I eventually plan to get a tube amp.  Some may say this is overkill since the Elear are already warm, but I think it may be a great combo if I were to hear it.  Because the Elear are so efficient, they should still be able to maintain they dynamic drive with a tube amp.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #1,824 of 6,742

Congrats AB, I bet that 1K sigh of relief drowned out the sound of fireworks these last few days.  

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #1,827 of 6,742
Hello music friends!
Happy new year!

Have you used FOCAL ELEAR with electronic music?
What did you think about it?
Can be compared with audeze LCD 2 / x??

Thanks

It performs very well with electronic music. Some might argue that it's one of the better headphones for electronic music because of the great bass. I don't have any experience with the LCD lineup so it's hard to say but I can imagine the elear performing just as good if not better than them. The elear hits really hard and has great bass extension as well as clear highs for that great electronic music experience. The upper mid range dip is a lot less noticeable for me on electronic music. The elear is also very musical and more engaging to make music feel more natural. Even with dubstep I felt it was non fatiguing which isn't always the case.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #1,828 of 6,742
It performs very well with electronic music. Some might argue that it's one of the better headphones for electronic music because of the great bass. I don't have any experience with the LCD lineup so it's hard to say but I can imagine the elear performing just as good if not better than them. The elear hits really hard and has great bass extension as well as clear highs for that great electronic music experience. The upper mid range dip is a lot less noticeable for me on electronic music. The elear is also very musical and more engaging to make music feel more natural. Even with dubstep I felt it was non fatiguing which isn't always the case.

Daft Punk, DJ Shadow work great with the Elear. Actually the last Daft Punk is so well produced, very enjoyable with the Elear.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,829 of 6,742
  Has anyone heard the Elear and the Ether Flow and can tell which one is better?

I have both,the Ether Flow is a bit more refined while the Elear is more dynamic and energetic....I love the Elear for a portable option with my Mojo....the Ether Flow is 800 dollars more but to be honest it is more of a preference for refined vs dynamic IMHO because I think they are both brilliant options and for the price I think the Elear is the best HP currently available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back