Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #421 of 6,742
I was pretty convinced my next headphone purchase would be planar based (PM-2, LCD-2 etc), but then the Elear came along to confuse matters...
I've been saving up for a while but an £800 headphone still feels like a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity so I'm dreading making the wrong decision.

My current cans are the Fidelio X2 (WOOX edition), I initially disliked them but have warmed to their sound signature.  The velour pads have really softened up and I find the headband design particularly comfortable for long sessions. Previous purchases such as the Shure 1440 sound comparatively [COLOR=222222]anaemic[/COLOR], and despite their supreme comfort my ancient Sennheiser 590's have excruciating treble and fail to deliver a satisfying mid-range.

Finding an Elear demo is going to be fairly tricky and involve some travelling, even then it's unlikely I will be able to audition them against anything else in the price range.
I've got pretty eclectic tastes and can't really comment on exactly what sound signature I'm pursuing, though I would hate to lose all the fun of the X2.
Could anyone possibly draw specific comparisons between the two?

(For reference my DAC/Amp is the iFi Audio iDAC2)

T1

I've heard all the Oppo, Audeze and HiFiMAN planars and wouldn't take any of them over my T1.

You will likely find the Oppo uncomfortable after the X2. I couldn't get comfortable in them at all.

For what it's worth I wouldn't take an HD800 either. They sound weird to me.

Only listening to both will tell you how Elear compares to T1. That's an itch I will have to scratch at some point I suppose.

Once you have a top drawer headphone, don't forget the iPurifier2 (or nano iUSB3.0).

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #422 of 6,742
I was pretty convinced my next headphone purchase would be planar based (PM-2, LCD-2 etc), but then the Elear came along to confuse matters...
I've been saving up for a while but an £800 headphone still feels like a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity so I'm dreading making the wrong decision.

My current cans are the Fidelio X2 (WOOX edition), I initially disliked them but have warmed to their sound signature.  The velour pads have really softened up and I find the headband design particularly comfortable for long sessions. Previous purchases such as the Shure 1440 sound comparatively [COLOR=222222]anaemic[/COLOR], and despite their supreme comfort my ancient Sennheiser 590's have excruciating treble and fail to deliver a satisfying mid-range.

Finding an Elear demo is going to be fairly tricky and involve some travelling, even then it's unlikely I will be able to audition them against anything else in the price range.
I've got pretty eclectic tastes and can't really comment on exactly what sound signature I'm pursuing, though I would hate to lose all the fun of the X2.
Could anyone possibly draw specific comparisons between the two?

(For reference my DAC/Amp is the iFi Audio iDAC2)

I've had the X2 and now have the Elear. I'd say they are both fun sounding headphones. The Elear is superior in almost every way. I'd say they are a tie in terms of soundstage size and comfort. The Elear is less of a v sound signature. It's more of a neutral sound signature. The Elear imaging is worlds better. Also better in these ways: bass quality, mids, treble detail, resolution, dynamics. Overall the sound is much more natural.

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #426 of 6,742
I've read so many stellar reviews of the Elear -- and their supposed "punch" --  that I'm itchin' to give them a try. Given that it's a Focal headphone, though, my biggest fear is that I'll find them uncomfortable. In the past, I'd tried each of the Spirit series headphones and felt them to be horribly uncomfortable (as in torture) on my ears... I mean, those crampy little earcups! Can you vouch for their comfort? I can't get a sense of it by looking at the pictures or viewing Youtube videos. The cups still look a bit small from that vantage point. Would love to get a consensus here. Jude has vouched for their comfort -- and that means a lot -- but I'd like to hear from others. I'm kind of neurotic about comfort... if headphones don't feel right around my head and on my ears, the sound becomes a moot point.

I find the Elear to be very comfortable. The earcups fit nice around my ears and the clamping factor is comfortable. I like how the headband is broad and distributes the weight nicely across the crown of your head. Works well for long listening sessions for me!

Sep 12, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #427 of 6,742
I find the Elear to be very comfortable. The earcups fit nice around my ears and the clamping factor is comfortable. I like how the headband is broad and distributes the weight nicely across the crown of your head. Works well for long listening sessions for me!

Thanks. I think I'm getting closer to buying them. Would prefer demoing them first if that were possible.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #428 of 6,742
I currently own and use the Oppo PM-3 and use my QP1R as my main source of music. This was a noticeable improvement over my first full size cans which were the Focal Spirit Classics played out of my iPhone, although I did enjoy that combo at the time.  I do not have a dedicated desk top set up. I am considering upgrading to either the Ether C flow  or Focal Elears. Based on my current set up and the headphones I have had could anyone recommend one over the other?
If I am honest I don't really understand what my preferred sound signature is. Im not that technical. Although I learned I have a low tolerance of sibilance.  I have liked both headphones even though I would describe them as sounding different esp. when compared back to back using the same tracks.. I mainly listen to acoustic music, pop, a little classical, very little edm or heavy rock genre.
Any feedback would be appreciated either on here or pm me. thank you

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #429 of 6,742
I also own PM-3 and I have done lot of digging on next big upgrade and I think Elear will suit you better because IMO (someone can correct me if wrong) Ether C Flow are bit on brighter side and Elear are easier to drive with low cost portable amps.

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #430 of 6,742
Thanks. I am leaning more towards the Elear. Mainly because so far I have followed inner fidelity wall of fame for the last couple of years and enjoyed Tylls reviews. Although I've only had 2 full size headphones,both were on the WOF at some point and I have enjoyed both my previous purchases. He appeared to be blown away by he Elears.

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #431 of 6,742
Thanks. I am leaning more towards the Elear. Mainly because so far I have followed inner fidelity wall of fame for the last couple of years and enjoyed Tylls reviews. Although I've only had 2 full size headphones,both were on the WOF at some point and I have enjoyed both my previous purchases. He appeared to be blown away by he Elears.

I'd say the Elears would be a good match. There by far a much more rich and exciting pair of headphones that the PM-3's.

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #432 of 6,742
What kind of music do you listen to? They're pretty different headphones. I haven't heard the new flows but heard their predecessor the regular Ether's side by side with the Elear. The Ethers gave me goosebumps listening to artists like Muddy Waters but they felt lacking for energetic music with more weight. They're light on the bottom end and harder to drive but they do certain types of music really really well. It's pretty tough to compare the two online. 

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #433 of 6,742
What kind of music do you listen to? They're pretty different headphones. I haven't heard the new flows but heard their predecessor the regular Ether's side by side with the Elear. The Ethers gave me goosebumps listening to artists like Muddy Waters but they felt lacking for energetic music with more weight. They're light on the bottom end and harder to drive but they do certain types of music really really well. It's pretty tough to compare the two online. 

The Flow has a bit more bass than the original Ether, and is a bit smoother up top as well.

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #434 of 6,742
I can't speak to the Elear yet, still waiting on Headroom to shoot me a tracking number but I can speak to the LCD2, PM1 vs. the X2 and another poster mentioned the T1, which in the $1k market, should be a shortlist consideration.

I tend to think if you like the punchy factor with the X2, (and who wouldn't I mean come on!) the LCD2 may feel a bit recessed.... and its nowhere near as comfortable.... but the LCD2 grows on you. The bass isn't all that punchy, but exceptionally nuanced and filled with all kinds of textural goodness... But it's still a bit polite all things being equal, and its fairly dark up top and as such doesn't have a big open airy sound. But neither does the X2 so bygones.

It's a more refined musical experience than the X2, but I can't say refinement = musical enjoyment. Nothing about valve amps overdriven into distortion with double pedal kick drums hammering like a  machine gun is refined, but I love me some distorted guitar and machine gun kick drums so.... What you like to listen to and how you like to listen will always factor in. If you listen to jazz at low levels, the LCD2 may be just the ticket. I enjoy mine, but its not my favorite.

The time I had with the PM1, I felt it didn't quite have as superb a mastery of low bass as the LCD2 (technically speaking), but was a little more impactful in the mid bass (which would line up better with an X2 experience) and I think the PM1 was a couple shades brighter than the LCD2 in a good way. It casts some light on the stage where the LCD2 left shadows. I tend to think the PM1 is a better all rounder, but wasn't that big an upgrade for me to sell my LCD2. I like my LCD2, warts and all.

The T1 will equal the X2 in comfort, maybe not as cozy, but certainly just as comfortable and gives you a good dose of punchy bass, full bodied mid range, and all the treble illumination you could want.... No issues with darkness like on the LCD2 and to a lesser degree the PM1. My only gripe with the T1 was it was a bit peaky in the.... lower treble? Upper mid range? Certain songs, it would emphasize the wrongs parts and had a bit of glare that was unpleasant... but only sometime, with some songs.... Most of the time it just has a lovely way to it.

My hope is that the Elear will be similar and hopefully a little better than the T1.... I think the Elear has Beyer beat on build quality (pure speculation though) but sonics will have to wait till Headroom tells me my number is up.

Hope that gives you some point of reference for your own preferences.... Or maybe confused things even worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back