Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #286 of 6,742
I'm happy to see you're loving the cans! Thx for using The Source AV! I'm not sure if the sound your describing is from the geometry or the silver content but the WireWorld on the Elear did produce very sweet detail in single ended but in balanced it was worth every penny they cost.

Hi Jason,
I have no doubt that balanced is probably awesome but unfortunately I don't have a balanced amplifier.  I am using them with the WA5-LE, MHA1000 and Wells Audio Enigma. The source is a Mac Mini dedicated server with JRiver or Audirvana to a Bricasti M1 SE for the WA5-LE and MHA1000 and for the Enigma the source is an Aurender N10 to a Bricasti M1 SE. In all set ups they sound great! The other cable I have that makes them sound really good too is the MIT Vero Reference.
Now I am getting the itch for the Utopia!! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 2, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #287 of 6,742
Hi Jason,
I have no doubt that balanced is probably awesome but unfortunately I don't have a balanced amplifier.  I am using them with the WA5-LE, MHA1000 and Wells Audio Enigma. The source is a Mac Mini dedicated server with JRiver or Audirvana to a Bricasti M1 SE for the WA5-LE and MHA1000 and for the Enigma the source is an Aurender N10 to a Bricasti M1 SE. In all set ups they sound great! The other cable I have that makes them sound really good too is the MIT Vero Reference.
Now I am getting the itch for the Utopia!! :veryevil:

Itch is good for your ears.
Do it.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #288 of 6,742
  Just ordered (on back-order) from Crutchfield. That 60-day money back guarantee should provide ample time to put these up against my PM-2 and Sirius. 

Funny you should mention the Sirius.Before the Elear appeared,that was the IEM I was set on getting.I live in Spain,very hot summers! A decent IEM has a lot of comfort advantages over a full-size can.I'll be very interested in reading your impressions and comparisons.
Cheers!

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #289 of 6,742
When I get my pair I will be testing it on EDM and will report my feelings on that genre.

I am interested in how well these perform that genre of music, and don't see much opinion on it.

The dynamic slam and bass power would appear to make these well suited to the genre, but idk if highs will be exciting or simply too laid back.

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #290 of 6,742
  When I get my pair I will be testing it on EDM and will report my feelings on that genre.

I am interested in how well these perform that genre of music, and don't see much opinion on it.

The dynamic slam and bass power would appear to make these well suited to the genre, but idk if highs will be exciting or simply too laid back.

So I just queued up a bunch of electronic music to listen to on the Elears. Haven't spent much time listening to that sort of music on them and thought I'd share my feelings.

I listened to a wide range of electronic genres. Everything from Grimes, HudMo, Bjork, Aphex Twin, A Guy Called Gerald, Photek, Autechre, Bjork, Speedy J and Future Sound of London.  As I initially though, most electronic music sounds good on the Elears.  Not great, just good. I think the top and low end are slightly lacking in extension.  Also while the Elears have good dynamics and great mid-bass, they just don't have the slam and sub-bass as some planars and other headphones (Fostex Biodynamic drivers, etc...) have.

The soundstage is a big reason I'm not huge on electronic music on the Elears. The imaging is great, but there is a kind of in-your-face feel to them that leaves electronic music kind of congested. Sounds great for a lot of rock music, but not particularly electronic. One exception I found is tracks with vocals sounded particularly well.

Used mostly FLAC tracks from my PC->Questyle CMA-600i->SE to Elear

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #291 of 6,742

Norne Zoetic just arrived. 5ft. instead of 16! Great workmanship. Super light and no cord memory.

Awesome! Could you possibly post a photo of the cable plugged into the headphone? I'd really like to see how well it fits. Having a hell of a time putting together items for a custom cable. 

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #292 of 6,742

Norne Zoetic just arrived. 5ft. instead of 16! Great workmanship. Super light and no cord memory.

Also, if it's not too much of a bother, do you mind seeing if the non-extended 3.5 (as in the silver end of your cable) could be fitted into the ear cups, I am asking because I am not fond of the gold bits of the extended 3.5 sticking out.

much appreciated

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #294 of 6,742
  I am using a WireWorld Nano Platinum Eclipse cable that is OCC Silver with great results. The bass is fast and tight and the highs are crisper and detailed without being fatiguing. Theosundstage got bigger and more holographic. I think the Silver cable brings it closer to the Utopia kind of sound.

Hi, could you give me a comparison betwenn your PM-1 and Elears please?

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #299 of 6,742

what's that mean? that PM-1 top the Elears????

I see you got your answer :) I'm trying to figure out if the Elears are a worthy upgrade over the PM-2. I asked earlier but no one responded. Being that the PM-1 and PM-2 have similar characteristics, I figured I'd piggyback your post :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back