Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #6,107 of 6,742
Hi, whats the name of focal elear cable adapter or full cable? The end its too thick, I cant plug it into my phone
Do you have a photo.

The standard jack plug is 6.35mm (1/4”). You can get a 6.35mm adapter to a 3.5mm (1/8”) from Amazon or eBay.

Something like this;
MillSO Headphone Jack Adapter 3.5mm 1/8 inch to 6.35mm 1/4 inch Jack TRS Stereo Audio Aux Adapter compatible for Home Audio, Amplifiers, Piano, Home Theater Devices, or Mixing Console - 30CM/12 inch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X98LVY1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_QxxfFbZ176W9F

Attachments

• 72C18EB2-F805-4A84-9FF1-B77642A53C4D.jpeg
    72C18EB2-F805-4A84-9FF1-B77642A53C4D.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 0
Jul 30, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #6,108 of 6,742
for my taste, Elear Bass is not tight enough for metal music...
any possible to Demo?
IMO, Clear / Elex will be suit for ur type of music..
Hi all, long-time lurker first-time poster

Regarding the Elear the bass is tight enough if you use Reference 4 like another member posted. Without Ref 4 I find them a little mushy at the lower end. With the calibration they sound a lot like the Clear, which I also own. I can't really tell which one I prefer between them and that, even though I mostly listen to fusion on both. It mostly depends on the instruments used by the musicians, bass like Marcus Miller is better with Elear but for keyboards and sax I have a slight preference for the Clear. What I don't like about the Clear is its color :k701smile: No really, the Elear looks like it means business while the Clear needs to take a shower quite often, those pads are stain magnets.

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #6,109 of 6,742

Regarding the Elear the bass is tight enough if you use Reference 4 like another member posted. Without Ref 4 I find them a little mushy at the lower end. With the calibration they sound a lot like the Clear, which I also own. I can't really tell which one I prefer between them and that, even though I mostly listen to fusion on both. It mostly depends on the instruments used by the musicians, bass like Marcus Miller is better with Elear but for keyboards and sax I have a slight preference for the Clear. What I don't like about the Clear is its color :k701smile: No really, the Elear looks like it means business while the Clear needs to take a shower quite often, those pads are stain magnets.

+1

Oh yeah, fwiw the bass on the Elears has always been an attraction. Bass instruments just have that live impact that I crave especially when in the mood.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #6,111 of 6,742
Hi, does elear's have narrow soundstage?

Not necessarily. Slightly more spacious than the hd660s... now that's more narrow. Though I'm pretty sure these aren't in the hd800s league.

I thought the open back plus juicy bass has always been an attractive duo.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #6,112 of 6,742

Not necessarily. Slightly more spacious than the hd660s... now that's more narrow. Though I'm pretty sure these aren't in the hd800s league.

I thought the open back plus juicy bass has always been an attractive duo.

When I auditioned a selection of headphones, I found the the HD800S were a bit too bright for me. Plus every time I took them off, my fingers went into the slots and I thought that I would end up damaging them. In the end I chose the Focal Elear out of the ones that I auditioned.

I too, like the "juicy bass", particularly for Jazz music for the Drums and the Double Bass.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #6,113 of 6,742
When I auditioned a selection of headphones, I found the the HD800S were a bit too bright for me. Plus every time I took them off, my fingers went into the slots and I thought that I would end up damaging them. In the end I chose the Focal Elear out of the ones that I auditioned.

I too, like the "juicy bass", particularly for Jazz music for the Drums and the Double Bass.

Now you're taking!

Focal owners or "casual owners" somehow write them off as too bassy... but
These are by default... on the bassy end.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #6,115 of 6,742
I had a good long session with my Elear last night. Truth be told it’s probably been over a month since I last listened to it. Either way what I found was a completely OPEN headphone that not unlike planars tend to do: reach for the bass abyss with great clarity and detail. Actually the whole headphone feels wonderfully balanced with no peaks or valleys in sight...which again amounts to a smooth listening experience.
I still think it sounds more natural and true to life than it’s pricier big brother, but I guess that is a matter of taste. My friend slightly prefers his Clear:)
My favourite thing about these Focals though is the open feeling I get. Compared to most other headphones in this price racket, the Elear is something of a unicorn. Last weekend I had a long session with an Aeolus and found a very good sounding semi-open can with some closedback colourations to the sound.
When you then listen to a Focal or a mere Sennheiser it quickly dawns on one just how much cleaner and natural a true openback headphone sounds like. It’s uncanny.
The Elear has quickly turned into my nightime coconut in that it is incredibly easy to drive and pairs well with my little XDuoo dap, while at the same time being tuned in a way that makes all and every album I care to feed it with sound fantastic.
I still however think that Focal is insane for pricing their pads the way they’ve done. I mean I could definitely understand if they were covered in small sapphires or similarly were sown up between Gal Gadot’s thighs...but they’re not. They are merely earpads for headphones! Madness...

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #6,118 of 6,742
I still think it sounds more natural and true to life than it’s pricier big brother, but I guess that is a matter of taste. My friend slightly prefers his Clear:)

I too love the Focal Elear and agree that it is very open and detailed. I’ve had mine for about three months now and still very much enjoying them. I’ve had a CustomCans cable made which is still burning in.

82DACA2E-4B93-4845-9A81-085A9696D6FC.jpeg
E615D7FD-F949-4AD9-84A4-99D8F63C8B8C.jpeg

I went for Red as my system interconnects are Red.

When I was auditioning them I also preferred them to the Focal Clear and found them, for me, to be more detailed than the the Focal Clear.

Aug 4, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #6,119 of 6,742
I love red..like in genuine RED:) I have a short braided cable in yellow and red which in effect looks orange..but yeah a little colour never hurt anyone...especially when you add to a headphone that looks as adult as the Focals (bar the pink padded Clear).
The Clear is a great headphone and I think that it strikes the perfect middleground between dynamics and electrostats...not because it’s performance is better in any objective manner over the Elear, nahh but because it is tuned like an estat: great big surge of energy around 1k..just like most Staxes.
To me though it just sounds unnaturally clear and overemphasised. My guess is that many other sound enthusiasts feel the same by now which is why the Clear has dwindled down in price, whereas the Elear pretty much costs the same here in the EU (The US doesn’t count as the Elex (Elear in a different colour scheme and slightly different pads) has wrecked havok on the Elear‘s price).

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #6,120 of 6,742
Two months with these headphones...Always impactul, Dynamic , realistic and smooth .

Amazing Q/P ratio.
I totally agree, the Focal's are just luxury in sound and in design!

I will say, my pair have broken in quite well and they have some-what mellowed out a bit! Still dynamic and impactful but less rough! Doesn't creep up on ya as much as it use to, although this could be attributed to brain-burn-in!

I'll see if I can snap a picture of my custom cables that I use with the Focals when at my desktop! I use the stock cables for when I'm watching a movie at night in the lounge room! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back