Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #4,501 of 6,742
Hi again all,
I had my "driver breakup" issue very quickly into the War Anthem Track, at the very beggining well before 4.50.
I switched from my HD650 to the Elear's, I always reduce volume before switching headphones.
Increased volume to a level that was about the equivalent and the first crack was actually uncomfortable bordering on painful.
One thing I forgot to mention was that I contact another stockists for a second opinion, sorry can't remember now who. The chap was very interested and ask for the track details so he could listen on their demo unit.
He called back about half hour later to say that he also had the clipping (the term he used) but it was at quite a high level. .....
Now, as I pointed out in my first post on this I have sensitive hearing and Im autistic actually (aspergers) I can't endure high volume levels and/or busy disordered places, it causes mental and physical distress. .... I can hear a knat fart at 30 paces! Haha :)
So I can only guess that mine were particularly suseptable, which would back up the inconsistency question.
If we are to believe complaints from others, and there is no reason not to, there has to be an issue somewhere, be it my system, unlikely but not impossible, or wherever.

However I do most certainly agree, and I've also said this in an earlier post, that generally you get a higher percentage of posted complaints than posted positive experiences, considerably higher if the subject matter has fewer grey areas, or less subjective. ..... This is human nature, we do shout louder when offended.
Therefore the offending percentage may be very low, these posts are unlikely to be a true / accurate representation of the whole...... Well, we hope not!
It's NOT my intention to try and turn anyone away from the Elear, I'll state my case firmly but it doesn't mean that I'll end up being a "brand basher" ...... If I feel a company is turning it's back I'll also say so.
If after all that I find its my fault, or I was hasty, I'll hold my hands up, apologise, reverse my position and hopefully I can be more positive towards the Elear's.

Anyhow, I'll have the chance to do just that, I've reasoned that my negative experience may be one in a low percentage, as discussed above. ........ I've ordered another pair and will let you know how it goes. :)

Good luck, hopefully you get a golden pair back.

Mine do definitely clip/breakup at lower levels than some cans I own, but they are a lot more dynamic, and I prefer that to the ability to damage my ears haha. I'm guilty of listening too loud sometimes, so I kind of like that I have to be a bit more careful with volume, but you shouldn't be hearing it at lower volume, so it definitely sounds like yours have a fault.

I'm now really curious how the tweaks they made to the driver on the new Clear affects this.

Oct 18, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #4,502 of 6,742
What is the pin out for the 3.5mm connector into the Elears?

Here's my guess
For single ended: T=+ R=- S=nothing

Balanced:T=+ R=- S=ground

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #4,503 of 6,742
Just wanted to share the cable I received from Forza audioworks today!

Looks and feels like quality. Lightwheight and flexible, love it.
Greatly improves comfort for me, the thick heavy stock cable has bothered both my head and my neck since day one. Now, the excellent wheight distribution and plush padding makes the Elear almost dissappear on my head, it feels like wearing it without a cable attached.
Not gonna comment on sound because, well, reasons, but yeah both build and ergonomics are definitely living up to my expectations!

Hi,

What is the reference for this Forza Cable. I see in the Website that the elear is not listed...

Oct 19, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #4,504 of 6,742
Really hope they work out for you this time. They're such an enjoyable, musical headphone that it'd be a shame for those not to experience what it can do, sans clipping.

Make sure you try it with your Mojo this time - I use my Elear exclusively with it. I wonder if it could be a source/component issue elsewhere in the chain as you mentioned, because otherwise it doesn't make sense to me. Especially when Focal state that it is a feature, so it's inherent to every Elear, but some experience it at much lower volumes.

I'm no electrical guru, but as it's always the bass I'm wondering if it could be anything to do with the electrical impedance? Here's Tyll's measurements:

GgaYnIo.png

I could be way off...

Oct 19, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #4,505 of 6,742
Thank you, yes I hope so, Ill certainly try the mojo this time.
As I've said I could immediately hear the potential as soon as I popped them on.
If there is a weak link I'll locate it. ....... Will feedback soon, cheers!

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #4,507 of 6,742
Dear @ribosradagast,
Regarding the “creak” of the headband, this point is controlled on our production line. Some improvements have been made since the launch of Elear and Utopia in 2016.

@styks,
Far from here and without being able to test strictly in the same listening conditions, it is very difficult for us to determine where this difference comes from. Indeed, makne and you use different set up and at different volume levels.There are too many potential factors that are involved in this case.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Oct 19, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #4,508 of 6,742
Dear @ribosradagast,
Regarding the “creak” of the headband, this point is controlled on our production line. Some improvements have been made since the launch of Elear and Utopia in 2016.

@styks,
Far from here and without being able to test strictly in the same listening conditions, it is very difficult for us to determine where this difference comes from. Indeed, makne and you use different set up and at different volume levels.There are too many potential factors that are involved in this case.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Hello again Marine, thank you for your reply.
It is the response I expected and a reasonable one.
If you have been following the thread closely you will know I've ordered another pair of Elear's.
I hope I do not find the same again but if by chance I do ill help you narrow down / isolate any issues / inconsistencies between individual units.
I also own the the Chord Mojo which has been found to be an excellent pairing with the Elear.
It possesses the ability to visually show quite accurately the volume level. We can compare results under identical conditions, effectively reducing the "potential factors" to practically zero.

Thank you for your on going support. As promised I'll feed back my finding to the community.

Kind regards,
Styks.

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #4,509 of 6,742
Really hope they work out for you this time. They're such an enjoyable, musical headphone that it'd be a shame for those not to experience what it can do, sans clipping.

Make sure you try it with your Mojo this time - I use my Elear exclusively with it. I wonder if it could be a source/component issue elsewhere in the chain as you mentioned, because otherwise it doesn't make sense to me. Especially when Focal state that it is a feature, so it's inherent to every Elear, but some experience it at much lower volumes.

I'm no electrical guru, but as it's always the bass I'm wondering if it could be anything to do with the electrical impedance? Here's Tyll's measurements:

GgaYnIo.png

I could be way off...

Indeed, it would be great. Thanks again WaveSounds I'll peruse all available info and visit Tyll's page's.
I will indeed try my Mojo this time and agree the problem could be a component issue within the chain.
It performs well with HD650 and others I've tried but the Elear may be exposing a week link somewhere.
I'll curtail my "knee jerk" reaction this time. :) Fingers crossed !...... Cheers!

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #4,510 of 6,742
I agree that we are mostly just hearing the bad experiences on this thread. Not to discount in any way the people that have had issues, it’s miserable to spend that kind of money on something, and be so excited to hear them and wait and watch the shipping tracker... and then have problems. However any manufacturing of a product will have faults. It’s impossible not to. I would just like to say I have had a very positive experience with this headphone, no issues in any way. And I have had them stupid, face melting loud and had no driver breakup. And I love the way they sound. Just to throw some positive experience in here.

Oct 19, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #4,511 of 6,742
I agree that we are mostly just hearing the bad experiences on this thread. Not to discount in any way the people that have had issues, it’s miserable to spend that kind of money on something, and be so excited to hear them and wait and watch the shipping tracker... and then have problems. However any manufacturing of a product will have faults. It’s impossible not to. I would just like to say I have had a very positive experience with this headphone, no issues in any way. And I have had them stupid, face melting loud and had no driver breakup. And I love the way they sound. Just to throw some positive experience in here.

Good to hear radiocalm thank you, I hope to add to the positive input this time around.

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #4,512 of 6,742
Indeed, it would be great. Thanks again WaveSounds I'll peruse all available info and visit Tyll's page's.
I will indeed try my Mojo this time and agree the problem could be a component issue within the chain.
It performs well with HD650 and others I've tried but the Elear may be exposing a week link somewhere.
I'll curtail my "knee jerk" reaction this time. :) Fingers crossed !...... Cheers!
I am rooting for you, Styks! Definitely keep us posted.

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #4,513 of 6,742
So I just got my pair. I came from the HD650 and currently use both with a non-speedball Crack. The bass extension of the Elear is insane! The dynamic is better than the HD650 as well, but not mind blowing like I thought it would be. The high is... I don't know, lacking compared to the HD650, in terms of quantity. Is it because of the bass that distract me from the high? Or maybe this is a bad amp pairing?

Regarding the crackle issue, I was able to produce it in my right ear only, at stupid high volume level. I don't plan to listen at this level ever, but it does make me concerned.

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #4,514 of 6,742
So I just got my pair. I came from the HD650 and currently use both with a non-speedball Crack. The bass extension of the Elear is insane! The dynamic is better than the HD650 as well, but not mind blowing like I thought it would be. The high is... I don't know, lacking compared to the HD650, in terms of quantity. Is it because of the bass that distract me from the high? Or maybe this is a bad amp pairing?

Regarding the crackle issue, I was able to produce it in my right ear only, at stupid high volume level. I don't plan to listen at this level ever, but it does make me concerned.

I felt the same about the highs. I do EQ them, or use the Sonarworks plugin, but another thing that made a surprising difference for me was getting a silver plated copper cable for them. It increased the separation and resolution, and also opened up the highs.

I also found them to be the most responsive to different source equipment, by which I mean that my experience and thoughts changed greatly with different source equipment, much more than it has with other cans. I don't have any experience with your amp, so I can't comment on my thoughts of it. I use a Schiit Mjolnir 2, and noticed a big difference with different tubes. I prefer the Russian NOS tunes, especially from the early to mid '70s, which had a nicer top, without overly forward mids.

I also noticed the Elear become more dynamic with a balanced cable rather than stock. I started with a copper litz balanced cable which increased the dynamics and volume, and then got the silver plated version, which then opened up the highs and separation.

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #4,515 of 6,742
I tested my Elears out yesterday to see at what point I got the breakup crackle. I had to push them past comfort volume levels to get there, and like @tuan2195, only experienced it in the right cup.

More interesting was that if I applied more pressure to the can against my head so the clamp force increased, the crackle/breakup disappeared, suggesting that the increased back pressure stopped the issue without any noticeable effect - i.e. it sounded great.

Unfortunately, it was more clamp force than I'd want if I was wearing them for more than 10 mins, but it did suggest to me that people with different size heads might experience the effect at different levels, depending on the clamp force that the Elears applied - i.e. a bigger head will result in more clamp force, and potentially less breakup?

I'm curious if anyone else gets the same result if anyone cares to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back