Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #4,276 of 6,742
Thanks for getting back to me. I was thinking of perhaps any songs off
Emperor- nightside eclipse
Funeral mist- salvation
Melodic death such as at the gates or in flames.

Oct 5, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #4,277 of 6,742
Thanks for getting back to me. I was thinking of perhaps any songs off
Funeral mist- salvation

I'll give those a listen. If you have any specific songs on those albums I'll def do my test to translate what I'm hearing. It looks like you don't have any cans I do.

I have listened to "The End" off of In Flames' album "Battles" a few times and it is awesome. I generally stay away from the old school lower resolution metal just cause it feels off.. It's like having a $5,000 4k 75in. TV with native 240hz refresh rate and then watching VCR tapes.

I did see that you're into parrots. Which (if any) do you have? We've got a few and they are a mess.

Oct 5, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #4,278 of 6,742
I do worry with black metal if the lo fi nature will sound bad with great headphones. However the genre sounds great on my meze 99s and grados so you never know.
Lol parrot wise Amazon's and cocktails. They are a handful. What do you have?

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #4,279 of 6,742
I do worry with black metal if the lo fi nature will sound bad with great headphones. However the genre sounds great on my meze 99s and grados so you never know.
Lol parrot wise Amazon's and cocktails. They are a handful. What do you have?

I have a pair of Grado SR80e's with a large pad mod. I will say that those compared to the Elear the Grado's are a bit brighter and the bass is less impactful. The Grado also sounds considerably grainy. You don't notice it on the Grado until you compare the two. I'd say the Grado really brings out the lo fi sound of some metal. I'll have to see how they compare tonight.

We have a few parrots. The ones that get most of the attention though is our caique and golden conure.
Here's some photos I took awhile go awhile experimenting with flash and lighting: https://imgur.com/a/RmeJZ

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #4,281 of 6,742
Curious, yes. Because the closed have a solid fanbase who speaks highly of them. And the few who tried the open are already raving about it.

Any Elear owners heard or are curious about the Aeon Open Flow? I'm tempted to pick one up for comparison.

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #4,282 of 6,742
I loved how comfortable the Elears were, I got mine yesterday. but they crackle! Seriously? Should not happen. Any flac I threw at them would crackle at midd/high volume with an HA-2SE. Really disappointed... Even if that weren't an issue i'd say they're realisticly worth no mor than $4-500. which means yes i'm saying I overpayed. These are going back.

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #4,283 of 6,742
I loved how comfortable the Elears were, I got mine yesterday. but they crackle! Seriously? Should not happen. Any flac I threw at them would crackle at midd/high volume with an HA-2SE. Really disappointed... Even if that weren't an issue i'd say they're realisticly worth no mor than $4-500. which means yes i'm saying I overpayed. These are going back.

You can get an open box pair for $550 on Moon Audio's site. They said they will honor 2 year warranty.

Oct 5, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #4,284 of 6,742
Same issue when I had mine at moderate volumes. Back to the dealer it went!

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #4,285 of 6,742
I listened to all of these on Tidal.

I'm not as experienced with the lo fi metal as I mentioned previously so I really can't say as to how it compares to other bands and albums but as for the few songs I played it sounded thin and hollow but nothing sounded sibilant. The channels appeared to have been squished together and weren't fully wide like you'd find on other tracks so I don't think that's from the headphones. You can hear everything pretty clearly though as far as all of the instruments. Everything has it's own place in the track.

Using the guide over at, "http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution":

6795415_thumb.png

I'll say that these fit the bill perfect for "Death". The bass is punchy but I do use a bass boost of 6dB @ 50hz with my Jotenheim. It didn't really make a massive difference but the bass drum did kick just a little bit deeper and lingered slightly longer which added to the symphony hall sound that most of the songs on the album had. To my ears it didn't sound dark nor bright.. Then again I have a difficult time hearing dark sound because to me the HD650's were very dark yet people compare the HD650's to the Elear which I don't find dark at all but not as bright as the Grado so idk.

On their newer stuff on the "Prometheus" album the lo fi turns into mid fi. It's still not as high def sounding as some metal sounds. On the song "The Eruption" the squeals (@ 2m14s) stand out like they are supposed to with tons of dynamics. You can hear each individual piece of the drum kit very clearly and has it's own spot in the sound space. Slower picking at around 3:20ish really makes you feel dynamics again. That is one thing that this headphone really stands out on. When a song isolates a certain sound or instrument it really stands out like it's supposed to. Guitars are clearly identifiable as well. Pretty much everything is clear as a whistle in the scope and if you want to take a part of your brain and focus on any specific instrument you can easily do this.

I'm only going to focus on In Flames since I'm much more familiar with their library.

"Cloud Connected" - As I mentioned above everything is clear and detailed although this song sounds slightly veiled once the guitars start up and it gets into the first verse. Then again I get this with almost all headphones with In Flames. The wide surround sounding parts of the chorus stand out from the mix but still sound like they have a veil even though some parts of the guitar sounds clearer.. I'm sure it's just that mix.

Letting Tidal shuffle their Top Tracks, it pops up with "Pinball Map" and this song (on a different album) is clear as a whistle and everything is unveiled. You can hear the drums and cymbals, both guitars in isolated wide mode, vocals in the center and echoed pointing away from the center outward. The bass guitar must be playing the same melody as the guitars because it doesn't stand out much in the track.

Needless to say at the end of all this wall of text hopefully it makes sense that these are very detailed and high clarity cans with lots of potential for metal without being sibilant or harsh. They punch every instrument (although sometimes better than others) without being fatiguing to my ears.

Looking at some of my fav tracks in my own playlist for metal:

'Beyond The Sixth Seal''s album, "The Resurrection of Everything Tough" is kind of my go to album for testing warmth. There is a slight milkiness to the entire sound they have and the guitars are very warm and smooth and if they sound muddy the headphones are too warm and muddy. To my ears they sound just slightly thick but in the right way. My fav tracks are, "My Terrifyinig Ally", "I Die At 35", and "Nothing To Prove".

"High Velocity Impact Spatter" - Cannibal Corpse -- I love newer CC but I'm skimming lightly in some of the crazier metal types. This song is extremely punchy and crazy but the headphones keep up like they aren't even trying to. Every instrument punches extremely hard through the mix but I guess that's the entire point.

"Two Weeks" - All That Remains -- In my personal opinion the intro to this song has the best recorded metal snares I've ever heard. They are THE test to my ears for mid range and the Elear passes the text very well.

"The Void" - Whitechapel -- Man the intro to this song is unsettling at how deep it goes with the drums and doom sound it has.

"Earthrise" - Haken -- I love it when metal bands take a swing at slower and milder stuff. This is a very layered song with lots of hidden detail and instruments. This song is delicious.

And a few other songs I've noticed this.. acoustic guitars sound extremely good on these cans. I guess it's because an acoustic guitar tends to be a percussion instrument by nature so it tends to punch well with these cans. Another thing I've noticed is acoustics in metal sounds amazing as well. It punches through the mix which it would normally get lost. A few examples are, "Her Alone - Amorphis" and "The Grand Conjuration - Opeth".

Hopefully tho those who read all this will find it useful. For those who don't I apologize for the wall of text. :p

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #4,286 of 6,742
I have a pair of Grado SR80e's with a large pad mod. I will say that those compared to the Elear the Grado's are a bit brighter and the bass is less impactful. The Grado also sounds considerably grainy. You don't notice it on the Grado until you compare the two. I'd say the Grado really brings out the lo fi sound of some metal. I'll have to see how they compare tonight.

We have a few parrots. The ones that get most of the attention though is our caique and golden conure.
Here's some photos I took awhile go awhile experimenting with flash and lighting: https://imgur.com/a/RmeJZ
They are beautiful birds. Not sure how noisey your birds are but you certainly need headphones in our house.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #4,287 of 6,742
I listened to all of these on Tidal.

I'm not as experienced with the lo fi metal as I mentioned previously so I really can't say as to how it compares to other bands and albums but as for the few songs I played it sounded thin and hollow but nothing sounded sibilant. The channels appeared to have been squished together and weren't fully wide like you'd find on other tracks so I don't think that's from the headphones. You can hear everything pretty clearly though as far as all of the instruments. Everything has it's own place in the track.

Using the guide over at, "http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution":

I'll say that these fit the bill perfect for "Death". The bass is punchy but I do use a bass boost of 6dB @ 50hz with my Jotenheim. It didn't really make a massive difference but the bass drum did kick just a little bit deeper and lingered slightly longer which added to the symphony hall sound that most of the songs on the album had. To my ears it didn't sound dark nor bright.. Then again I have a difficult time hearing dark sound because to me the HD650's were very dark yet people compare the HD650's to the Elear which I don't find dark at all but not as bright as the Grado so idk.

On their newer stuff on the "Prometheus" album the lo fi turns into mid fi. It's still not as high def sounding as some metal sounds. On the song "The Eruption" the squeals (@ 2m14s) stand out like they are supposed to with tons of dynamics. You can hear each individual piece of the drum kit very clearly and has it's own spot in the sound space. Slower picking at around 3:20ish really makes you feel dynamics again. That is one thing that this headphone really stands out on. When a song isolates a certain sound or instrument it really stands out like it's supposed to. Guitars are clearly identifiable as well. Pretty much everything is clear as a whistle in the scope and if you want to take a part of your brain and focus on any specific instrument you can easily do this.

I'm only going to focus on In Flames since I'm much more familiar with their library.

"Cloud Connected" - As I mentioned above everything is clear and detailed although this song sounds slightly veiled once the guitars start up and it gets into the first verse. Then again I get this with almost all headphones with In Flames. The wide surround sounding parts of the chorus stand out from the mix but still sound like they have a veil even though some parts of the guitar sounds clearer.. I'm sure it's just that mix.

Letting Tidal shuffle their Top Tracks, it pops up with "Pinball Map" and this song (on a different album) is clear as a whistle and everything is unveiled. You can hear the drums and cymbals, both guitars in isolated wide mode, vocals in the center and echoed pointing away from the center outward. The bass guitar must be playing the same melody as the guitars because it doesn't stand out much in the track.

Needless to say at the end of all this wall of text hopefully it makes sense that these are very detailed and high clarity cans with lots of potential for metal without being sibilant or harsh. They punch every instrument (although sometimes better than others) without being fatiguing to my ears.

Looking at some of my fav tracks in my own playlist for metal:

'Beyond The Sixth Seal''s album, "The Resurrection of Everything Tough" is kind of my go to album for testing warmth. There is a slight milkiness to the entire sound they have and the guitars are very warm and smooth and if they sound muddy the headphones are too warm and muddy. To my ears they sound just slightly thick but in the right way. My fav tracks are, "My Terrifyinig Ally", "I Die At 35", and "Nothing To Prove".

"High Velocity Impact Spatter" - Cannibal Corpse -- I love newer CC but I'm skimming lightly in some of the crazier metal types. This song is extremely punchy and crazy but the headphones keep up like they aren't even trying to. Every instrument punches extremely hard through the mix but I guess that's the entire point.

"Two Weeks" - All That Remains -- In my personal opinion the intro to this song has the best recorded metal snares I've ever heard. They are THE test to my ears for mid range and the Elear passes the text very well.

"The Void" - Whitechapel -- Man the intro to this song is unsettling at how deep it goes with the drums and doom sound it has.

"Earthrise" - Haken -- I love it when metal bands take a swing at slower and milder stuff. This is a very layered song with lots of hidden detail and instruments. This song is delicious.

And a few other songs I've noticed this.. acoustic guitars sound extremely good on these cans. I guess it's because an acoustic guitar tends to be a percussion instrument by nature so it tends to punch well with these cans. Another thing I've noticed is acoustics in metal sounds amazing as well. It punches through the mix which it would normally get lost. A few examples are, "Her Alone - Amorphis" and "The Grand Conjuration - Opeth".

Hopefully tho those who read all this will find it useful. For those who don't I apologize for the wall of text. :p
Thanks so much. I really appreciate this. I think I may pull the trigger and get these. I am a bit worried about how many people have reported problems with them though.

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #4,288 of 6,742
Thanks so much. I really appreciate this. I think I may pull the trigger and get these. I am a bit worried about how many people have reported problems with them though.

They can be noisey but mostly they behave themselves. Usually after the sun goes down and we settle down for the night they put themselves to bed on their own. The house is usually quite by that point so I can wear open cans. If not then I need my closed cans. :p

As for the problems... as someone mentioned, you mostly hear from people problems. People come to the forums often to complain of issues. As far as that goes just buy from a vendor that's easy to return if there are issues and if not their service for repairs are top notch from what I've heard.

As I mention the first thing you're gonna notice is the overly forward mids but they'll quickly get adjusted to your ears and then the rest will just fit in place. Compared to all my other headphones these have the strongest mids but I wouldn't change a thing about these tbh. Maybe at touch more sparkle above 16khz and sub bass below 100hz but that's about it.

I put on my TH900's and instantly got bombarded with the mid range sibilance... like I used to do I adjusted the EQ to -4dB @ 4Khz and they sounded better by far. Compared to the Elear the TH900's had tons more sub bass and thump and even more high end sparkle but the mids were missing compared to the Elear. Once I switched back to the Elear and once I got over the initial mid range shock the details started pouring in again that were just missing from the TH900. I consider the TH900 a pretty resolving headphone but yeah.. The Elear just stand out for anything I throw at it.

Oct 6, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #4,290 of 6,742
You can get an open box pair for $550 on Moon Audio's site. They said they will honor 2 year warranty.

How trustworthy are the open box pairs? Since headphones.com hasnt shipped yet I'm tempted to cancel and save $100 from Moon but I'm worried they might be pairs with the crackling issue that someone returned or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back