Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #4,141 of 6,742
I think the Elear would be a great complementary headphone to the HD800S. They sound quite different with the Elear being more dynamic than the 800S with a more pleasing low-end also. I do think an upgrade of your DAC would benefit both of the headphones. I have the Schiit Modi Multibit and I think it sounds great, and at $250 it's a great deal as well. They sound very good with the genres of music you want to use them for also, better than the HD800S does imo.[/QUOTE Thanks for the recommendation of the Dac, I'll definitely check it out.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #4,142 of 6,742
I own the Dac 10 and it's excellent sounding if you choose that dac I'd say you'll be very happy..

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #4,143 of 6,742
I just got these and I'm now realizing how literal people were when they said these were open cans.

Should I be worried about dust and hairs getting in here? I'm wondering if I should use some type of fabric between my ears and the drivers like what usually comes on earpads.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #4,144 of 6,742
I just got these and I'm now realizing how literal people were when they said these were open cans.

Should I be worried about dust and hairs getting in here? I'm wondering if I should use some type of fabric between my ears and the drivers like what usually comes on earpads.
if that was a reason to worry, I think they would've came with that stock. Just sit back, relax and enjoy :wink:

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #4,145 of 6,742
if that was a reason to worry, I think they would've came with that stock. Just sit back, relax and enjoy :wink:

Having a hard time relaxing with these. These thing kick like a mule and u love it.

Got them to try gaming on. Sure the soundstage is smaller than others but it's about clarity and precision. These have it and man.. Playing Destiny 2.. These thing rattle your head with the smack of a rifle. Got em plugged in optical to a Sound Blaster E5 for the surround, optical out to a MOJO then line out into my Jotunheim and out balanced to the Elear. The cable I got has an issue where it sometimes drop the left ear audio but I'm gonna swap it out.

Earlier today the upper mid bite was punching my ears in a bad way. Similar to the Th600 and to a lesser extent, th900. Seems to have smoothed out tho.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #4,148 of 6,742
I just had a funny revelation over the last couple of days....I was wearing my headphones in a non-optimal position. I felt that everything sounded a bit muffled and maybe needed some break in...however I moved the headphones closer to the back of my head...EVERYTHING sounds so much better....completely different experience now. I REALLY enjoy them...listening to PVD Out There and Back...wow :)

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #4,149 of 6,742
I just had a funny revelation over the last couple of days....I was wearing my headphones in a non-optimal position. I felt that everything sounded a bit muffled and maybe needed some break in...however I moved the headphones closer to the back of my head...EVERYTHING sounds so much better....completely different experience now. I REALLY enjoy them...listening to PVD Out There and Back...wow :)
I find that too far forward sounds muffled. Too far back sounds kinda bright-ish and flat. Centered sounds balanced, and gives the best soundstage depth. The differences aren't huge for me though. Think it may vary from person to person, depending on one's ear shape.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #4,150 of 6,742
It is important on this hp to make sure you put them in the right position on your ears in respect of right and left because the the pivot point of each earcup is not on the same hight for the front and the back
The back point is lower anyway next to the cable jack you get the L or R letter indication.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #4,151 of 6,742
Yeah, it took me a couple of listening sessions initially but I learned to place the cups right outside my ear, using the flat part of the cup as the guide.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #4,152 of 6,742
I just ordered mine :). I'll need to find a Bluetooth adapter to plug these into in order to play games :). Any ideas?

Having a hard time relaxing with these. These thing kick like a mule and u love it.

Got them to try gaming on. Sure the soundstage is smaller than others but it's about clarity and precision. These have it and man.. Playing Destiny 2.. These thing rattle your head with the smack of a rifle. Got em plugged in optical to a Sound Blaster E5 for the surround, optical out to a MOJO then line out into my Jotunheim and out balanced to the Elear. The cable I got has an issue where it sometimes drop the left ear audio but I'm gonna swap it out.

Earlier today the upper mid bite was punching my ears in a bad way. Similar to the Th600 and to a lesser extent, th900. Seems to have smoothed out tho.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #4,153 of 6,742
Not sure what your budget is but I cannot recommend the Sound Blaster E5 enough. It's a highly rated amp over on the basshead thread due to its self powered EQ and effects without the need of a PC. Just need a phone via BT to change settings for it and it's completely independant.

As for BT, it has AptX and I use it like this: I have it plugged in via a 3.5mm optical adapter coming optical from my Xbox and I have it connected via BT to stream music independently from the game. Just a note about amping it further, I've found the Line Out has more channel separation than the front amp out. While it may be great for music it's not so great for games. You need channel bleed to create a center space. That said one further note is if you use EQ or Surround or Voice Boost or whatever it also applies to the music from BT as well as the optical.

Hope that answers your question. Don't hesitate to ask anything though. I plan on hooking it up via the front headphone amped out to my Jotunheim via balanced for more clarity or whatever. If not I may just go back to the E5 by itself. It has more than enough juice for anything I have to throw at it.

I just ordered mine :). I'll need to find a Bluetooth adapter to plug these into in order to play games :). Any ideas?

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #4,154 of 6,742
Well, I never thought I'd be acquiring thousand-dollar headphones (my priciest acquisition to date being my beloved PM-3s), but I'm in. I hadn't really paid much attention to the Elears, but the other day I re-read Tyll's gushing review, then thought, well, I suppose they haven't come down in price yet, checked and saw the $699 sale, plus headphones.com was throwing in a wooden stand (which I'd been wanting to get anyway) and it's like the universe conspired against me. I mostly listen to classical music, and had been thinking about possibly an HD800 used (the 800S is way out of my financial range), but at this price I can get the Elear new for about the same price as a used HD800. I already have a bunch of neutral/good-for-classical headphones, so it occurred to me, why not get something really different for a change. And the Elear seems to fit that bill pretty nicely. I don't only listen to classical. So I have a set on the way to me and can't wait to try them out. It's interesting to read the very varied views on whether or not these are good for classical, so I'll be very interested in putting them through their paces with that and everything else.

Come on, Fed Ex!

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #4,155 of 6,742
Well, I never thought I'd be acquiring thousand-dollar headphones (my priciest acquisition to date being my beloved PM-3s), but I'm in. I hadn't really paid much attention to the Elears, but the other day I re-read Tyll's gushing review, then thought, well, I suppose they haven't come down in price yet, checked and saw the $699 sale, plus headphones.com was throwing in a wooden stand (which I'd been wanting to get anyway) and it's like the universe conspired against me. I mostly listen to classical music, and had been thinking about possibly an HD800 used (the 800S is way out of my financial range), but at this price I can get the Elear new for about the same price as a used HD800. I already have a bunch of neutral/good-for-classical headphones, so it occurred to me, why not get something really different for a change. And the Elear seems to fit that bill pretty nicely. I don't only listen to classical. So I have a set on the way to me and can't wait to try them out. It's interesting to read the very varied views on whether or not these are good for classical, so I'll be very interested in putting them through their paces with that and everything else.

Come on, Fed Ex!
Ooh I'm kind of in the opposite position, own the Elear and considering getting an oppo PM-3! Maybe the universe is conspiring against me too...
I sat on the bus one day with my Noble X iem's, and the thought hit me: For my use, I don't really need the IEM form factor, I could just as easily use a full-size closed-back can! So I started doing some research, and the PM-3 is one of my final candidates. I can also (maybe) grab a 2nd-hand one for a great price if I'm quick.
I'd love to hear your impressions of the Elear when you get them, and a comparison against the PM-3!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back