Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
May 10, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #3,286 of 6,742
It will be fine with that amp. There are few instances where an amp having too much power is a bad thing. As long as you can get usable volume out of the pot, you should be good.

May 10, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #3,287 of 6,742
It will be fine with that amp. There are few instances where an amp having too much power is a bad thing. As long as you can get usable volume out of the pot, you should be good.

Thanks. And you nailed it. A primary issue is the volume pot, which might result in channel imbalance if too little of it is used. The secondary thing is whether high power can bring out more potential in the Elear, which I certainly hope it does. :L3000:

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #3,288 of 6,742
How does elear compare to dt880 premium edition for comfort. these headphones are for pairing with a chord hugo2. i have no doubt the elear made by the famous french manufacturer sounds stellar it is the comfort i am worried about. i find it very difficult to find headphones that i can truly immerse myself in with regards to comfort. the beyers came about after much swapping. can anyone compare elear to dt880. i have no option to try before i buy.

May 10, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #3,290 of 6,742
I think the Elear is superior to the DT880 in comfort...the pads are roomy and deep and so soft. In fact, the Elears are probably one of the most comfortable headphones I've tried despite the weight being on the heavier side. The DT880 is obviously much lighter, but it's all about weight distribution and the Elear does it well. The clamp pressure is perfect too. Of course, "your mileage may vary" as they say....

May 11, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #3,294 of 6,742
Perhaps stay within the same family, and go with the Jotunheim? I just got one, and have to say my Elears sound fantastic through it right out of the box.

Yea seems like a good price point and balanced in and out which i like, i have also been advised to look at Airist Audio Heron 5 amp & Aune S7 which has separate LH & RH and reasonable price which is good. Googling as we speak!

May 11, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #3,297 of 6,742
I have been reading the same thing, what about Cavalli audio liquid carbon v1 just found one in the same state im in for 600aud any good?

Haven't heard the Elear yet but the Liquid Carbon is one of the better SS amps under $1000 IMO, goes very well with HE560 and HD800.

May 11, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #3,300 of 6,742
any experience with the Elear though?

No personal experience with the Elear yet, but a good friend who has them told me they might not be a sound signature that I would like since he knows me quite well, but I'm still reading comments on them which seems to be all over the place so I'm still holding off on getting them. My friend is very well off so he always has the latest and greatest gear, even loaned me his Liquid Glass and gave me his second SR009+SRM007mk2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back