Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #3,138 of 6,742
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Elears but still have some concerns they may be too punchy and dynamic for relaxed listening sessions. I started my headphone journey with the Fidelio X2 and recently moved up to the PM-3 which I love BTW. My inclination was to move up to the PM-1 however, my dealer suggested getting the Elears instead. I guess I'm just loooking for the most musically realistic experience packed with all the emotion the music has to offer without being too overbearing? I'm more into a laid back, high definition experience.

Apr 1, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #3,139 of 6,742
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Elears but still have some concerns they may be too punchy and dynamic for relaxed listening sessions. I started my headphone journey with the Fidelio X2 and recently moved up to the PM-3 which I love BTW. My inclination was to move up to the PM-1 however, my dealer suggested getting the Elears instead. I guess I'm just loooking for the most musically realistic experience packed with all the emotion the music has to offer without being too overbearing? I'm more into a laid back, high definition experience.

The Elears are not laid back. Very engaging... They are some of the best bang for the buck cans for their performance and that may be why your dealer suggested them?

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #3,140 of 6,742
I guess I'll just have to try them out for myself. I have a 30 day return option. There was a comment I read somewhere saying the Elears were like the excitement of a first date as opposed to a comfortable long term relationship. At first they sound amazing but as time goes on they become a bit fatigued.

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #3,141 of 6,742

Just do it... the giggle factor is incredible. :)

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #3,142 of 6,742
I guess I'll just have to try them out for myself. I have a 30 day return option. There was a comment I read somewhere saying the Elears were like the excitement of a first date as opposed to a comfortable long term relationship. At first they sound amazing but as time goes on they become a bit fatigued.

You'll be very glad you did there simply awesome sounding best $ I've ever spent on a pair of hp's..enjoy

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #3,143 of 6,742

The Elears do offer a musically realistic experience, very much so, and if you're looking for a laid back, high definition experience just look to your source.  Put on some sweet jazz, acoustic guitar, or something similarly mellow and you're there.  But, if you want punchy that will be waiting for you when you're ready.  Either way you'll be smiling, and, as thompsontechs said, "the giggle factor is incredible."

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #3,144 of 6,742
I guess I'm just loooking for the most musically realistic experience packed with all the emotion the music has to offer without being too overbearing? I'm more into a laid back, high definition experience.

Elear is punchy and dynamic because it is trying to be as transparent and realistic as possible. Real music is punchy and dynamic. A kick drum has big punch. The more transparent a headphone is, the harder it should punch. If it doesn't, then there's a flaw/weakness. It's the same theory as high end heaphones revealing low quality files more easily. If a recording is punchy, the headphone should show it. If the recording is smooth, the headphone should sound smooth. A headphone that sound smooth all the time is not transparent/realistic in this aspect.

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #3,145 of 6,742
I think a major part of the trick is to find the perfect volume level to balance the punchiness so to speak. The Elear does have a sweet spot on the volume knob. You just gotta experiment and find it!

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #3,146 of 6,742
just seen on the Focal website that the elears and utopias are now coming with 9 foot  (2m) cords instead of the 13 footers (3m). obviously someone at Focal was listening. personnaly I don't mind the 13 feet, but most don't so good on Focal for listening to us

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #3,147 of 6,742
Just tried going back to FiiO E10K line out -> FiiO K6, and, wow, such a boringly lifeless sound in comparison to using the E10K line out directly. My EQ doesn't add any impact to the sound, so it doesn't improve things.

While I've verified for myself that using the FiiO E10K line out has an uneven frequency response when used directly with any headphone (the Koss KSC-75, for example, becomes even thinner-sounding, and the louder bass and heavier impact are also there), it works really well with the Elear, IMO. I miss being able to easily change the volume, but being able to do so would is not worth the obvious drop in fun factor. ONCE AGAIN, I MUST MENTION THAT IF YOU ARE GOING TO TRY USING THE E10K'S LINE OUT DIRECTLY, LOWER THE VOLUME IN WINDOWS TO NO MORE THAN 25% AND DON'T USE ASIO, WHICH FORCES THE VOLUME TO 100%! YOU CAN RUIN BOTH YOUR HEARING AND YOUR ELEAR BY LEAVING THE VOLUME HIGH!

I guess I must admit that the FiiO E10K line out does indeed add "thump" to the bass, but it only does it for bass sounds that should thump. The Audio Technica ATH-M50x adds thump where it doesn't belong. I cannot stand using the M50x anymore. I had problems with its cheap-sounding, thumpy bass from day one, but now there is zero reason to use the M50x over the Elear. The M50x's strong amount of treble also ruins brighter recordings.

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #3,148 of 6,742
Would be a great compliment to the Elear. The Mojo possesses a 3-D soundstage and gobbs of power

I purchased a Mojo recently and wouldn't say it's such a great match for the Elear. It can go loud but it's lacking in the bass department. Nowhere as punchy as my Taurus MKII in balanced mode. By adding bass at the source, I end up with something well balanced but still not as punchy as it can be (and boy it can hit hard when properly driven!). Don't get me wrong, it's still a very enjoyable combo but it changes a bit the nature of the Elear. 

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #3,149 of 6,742
I purchased a Mojo recently and wouldn't say it's such a great match for the Elear. It can go loud but it's lacking in the bass department. Nowhere as punchy as my Taurus MKII in balanced mode. By adding bass at the source, I end up with something well balanced but still not as punchy as it can be (and boy it can hit hard when properly driven!). Don't get me wrong, it's still a very enjoyable combo but it changes a bit the nature of the Elear. 

Thanks for your experience. I didn't notice that when I demo'd but I did not own the Mojo. My Elear sounds best with my desktop amp for sure. I have an Oppo HA-2se and it sounds good not great with my Elear. My Leckerton portable does much better with it. Thanks again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back