Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2,026 of 6,742
Thank you

I run a Naim/Linn system (Naim pre/amp and Linn sources)

Your comparison sounds like

Elear=Naim (PRAT)
Utopia=Linn

And yes I am curious about a DAC/amp. I obviously use my 2 channel system. I want a small headphone system using my iPhone 7 with stored FLAC and Tidal uncompressed streams. I have the Elear and a Mojo arriving Monday.

IPhone 7 lightning digital out > Mojo providing DAC and amplifier duties > Elear

Elear and Mojo is a great combo, I'm loving it.

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #2,028 of 6,742
  I was talking with a fellow headfi'r @kk728 about the Elear and Mojo pairing. He was trying to get more info on the matter. Would you be able to shed any light on the paring? I am curious as well since I have yet to hear them together.

Yeah sure, I will help where I can. The Mojo is all I have to power them so I can't compare to anything else I'm afraid. Is there anything in particular that you want to know?

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #2,029 of 6,742
Thank you

Elear=Naim (PRAT)
Utopia=Linn

And yes I am curious about a DAC/amp. I obviously use my 2 channel system. I want a small headphone system using my iPhone 7 with stored FLAC and Tidal uncompressed streams. I have the Elear and a Mojo arriving Monday.

IPhone 7 lightning digital out > Mojo providing DAC and amplifier duties > Elear

And as a follow up - any other top of the line cans I should be considering which will fit with my Naim/Linn listening profile? I currently have the B&W P7 wireless on demo which really impress me (for their PRAT). That has me thinking about demoing the P9. I have also been reading up on the Beyerdynamic T1. I don't want to go to Sennheiser as I had the HD650 when I was active here in 2003/4 and sold them - BORING. Grado RS1 replaced them - very nice

Looking for something as I stated above - iPhone>mojo>headphone

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #2,030 of 6,742
You really should check out out. Paul is really nice bloke, his wife, Wendy, runs the headphone side of things, I've spent an entire afternoon there on several occasions. I even took my entire Schiit stack with me on my final visit to make sure my HE-560's were perfect for me. They are both really accomodating.

Just make sure you book first!

Agreed. It's a really kool place dangerously close to me and I've spent a lot of money in both sides of the business. Paul and Wendy are brilliant and I'm glad they're making a success of it.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #2,031 of 6,742
Thank you

Elear=Naim (PRAT)
Utopia=Linn

And as a follow up - any other top of the line cans I should be considering which will fit with my Naim/Linn listening profile? I currently have the B&W P7 wireless on demo which really impress me (for their PRAT). That has me thinking about demoing the P9. I have also been reading up on the Beyerdynamic T1. I don't want to go to Sennheiser as I had the HD650 when I was active here in 2003/4 and sold them - BORING. Grado RS1 replaced them - very nice

Looking for something as I stated above - iPhone>mojo>headphone

I'd say these fit that Naim/Linn profile better than most similarly priced headphones I've heard...some image better, some have wider soundstage, better imaging, but these things rock. IMO, of course.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #2,033 of 6,742
  I was talking with a fellow headfi'r @kk728 about the Elear and Mojo pairing. He was trying to get more info on the matter. Would you be able to shed any light on the paring? I am curious as well since I have yet to hear them together.

I am using Elear with Mojo. Its good pair. Mojo has enough power to drive this and Bass is tight and midrange is good as well. However just the lower treble performance will make this combo a little dark and laid back but that's the sound character of Elear in general and Mojo goes with it. I don't think Mojo will help to overcome the 4Khz dip but I don't know if any other dac amp would that's what EQ is for.
At the end I would say it is very good pair.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #2,034 of 6,742
I haven't found the Elear to be hard to drive-my phone and Pono do just fine, went out with Pono/Elear (single ended) for a dog walk today and dug it.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #2,035 of 6,742
I haven't found the Elear to be hard to drive-my phone and Pono do just fine, went out with Pono/Elear (single ended) for a dog walk today and dug it.

Yes, that's true.
That's why I said Mojo has enough juice to run it to full potential. I would be several clicks below in volume of Mojo when I use it with Elear as compared to using it with HD600.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #2,036 of 6,742
Thanks for the replies guys. I am getting excited

Nice to know the Elear can be driven directly from a phone. My use scenario will be using the iPhone as a transport. The B&W P9's interested me due to the upcoming lightning cable with integrated DAC. Me thinks however that the Elear will have something over the P9

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #2,037 of 6,742
Listening over and over to Massive Attack's Mezzanine through Mojo and Elear. Talk about punch. Angel sounds just insane
smily_headphones1.gif

coming from HD 600, that's what I first noticed about these, the Bass, punch and Weight in the voice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back