Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 12, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #1,861 of 5,632
Jason is still pretty new to the head fi stuff and doesn't realize all indications of sarcasms and jokes should be strictly listed with at least multiple exclamation marks or a /s!!!

But seriously speaking Jason was just joking around with Currawong. The thread seemed to have tensed up today a little, Jason and Currawong were trying to be a little lighthearted.

Early on when the thread started there was a bunch of the same things happening the last few days. People bringing up the $4k price tag, worries about the Be driver, comments about the cable, and quite a few who didn't trust a bunch of us who posted our impressions or the impressions of early reviewers. Pretty tense in the first month with a lot of back and forths. I checked in every so often but generally felt always so hesitant about posting again. The tides without a doubt do seem to be turning after Tyll posted very positive remarks about the Elear and the Utopia. Early on it felt like there was a lot of distrust between the community and the new big headphones out but now that more and more people can hear the Focals I think the community can see they are the real deal.

For me after hearing the pair on multiple occasions I am considering on grabbing a pair of Elears. I could always add another headphone to my collection :D
Thx NetForce. You are correct and your helping people understand my lack of knowledge on protocol is appreciated. Currawong is pretty good people, in fact he's been sort of a mentor. Really many here have tried to get me up to speed and it is appreciated.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 12, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #1,862 of 5,632
《unsubscribed》

I appreciate that.

Still looking forward to the day I come catch up on this thread and there isn't at least one person aggravated by the fact Jason is keeping people updated on Focal's situation that plenty of people are involved and/or interested in.

"Where are these available and when?", "oh, this and this and that place has them on for pre-order", completely fine. Jason comes in and updates us regarding his shipments and potential stragglers available for purchase and someone is instantly breathing down his neck. God damn. Give it a break.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #1,863 of 5,632
Thx NetForce. You are correct and your helping people understand my lack of knowledge on protocol is appreciated. Currawong is pretty good people, in fact he's been sort of a mentor. Really many here have tried to get me up to speed and it is appreciated.

Yes and you need to throw in some LOL and :^) or many now use 
normal_smile .gif
 and 
darthsmile.gif
 and sometimes go totally crazy with them and then there used to be it didn't happen if there aren't pictures. In the beginning I was told I wasn't quoting enough and one person said they didn't know what I was referring to (I guess they didn't want to actually read the thread). And so much I don't know or haven't taken the time to learn. But hee, hee, hee, is irritating and so many unspoken rules. And on I could go but I think soon you will give me a 
confused_face(1).gif
blink.gif
, so I will stop here. :^) 

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #1,864 of 5,632
Jason is still pretty new to the head fi stuff and doesn't realize all indications of sarcasms and jokes should be strictly listed with at least multiple exclamation marks or a /s!!!

But seriously speaking Jason was just joking around with Currawong. The thread seemed to have tensed up today a little, Jason and Currawong were trying to be a little lighthearted.

Early on when the thread started there was a bunch of the same things happening the last few days. People bringing up the $4k price tag, worries about the Be driver, comments about the cable, and quite a few who didn't trust a bunch of us who posted our impressions or the impressions of early reviewers. Pretty tense in the first month with a lot of back and forths. I checked in every so often but generally felt always so hesitant about posting again. The tides without a doubt do seem to be turning after Tyll posted very positive remarks about the Elear and the Utopia. Early on it felt like there was a lot of distrust between the community and the new big headphones out but now that more and more people can hear the Focals I think the community can see they are the real deal.

For me after hearing the pair on multiple occasions I am considering on grabbing a pair of Elears. I could always add another headphone to my collection :D

This isn't about members joking around members to others eyes. It's about a sales rep selling a product, and others seeing/noticcing not so much of a high level customer service level on Focals part.(and I mean this when taking a step back even when you want to argue for company sake/ not that Jason is doing a bad job but in general I see it happen all the time where it fails) If it was just a member to member posts, I don't think anyone would reply/have a problem.. I think it's always wiser to give it a month to 2 month release time for consumers to get their hands on a product and report on their own before a rep steps in whether it'd be customer service or technical questions. Especially for ID companies that reply heavily on Internet advertising by word of mouth.

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #1,865 of 5,632
I thought I subscribed to this thread to read about Utopia and Elear's initial impressions...I don't care about the bantering among guys. Have a problem then take it offline and not clouding out the thread and taking discussions off topic...mighty please?

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #1,866 of 5,632
Yes and you need to throw in some LOL and :^) or many now use 
normal_smile%20.gif
 and :darthsmile:  and sometimes go totally crazy with them and then there used to be it didn't happen if there aren't pictures. In the beginning I was told I wasn't quoting enough and one person said they didn't know what I was referring to (I guess they didn't want to actually read the thread). And so much I don't know or haven't taken the time to learn. But hee, hee, hee, is irritating and so many unspoken rules. And on I could go but I think soon you will give me a :confused_face(1): :blink: , so I will stop here. :^) 

I agree emoticons is the way to go.:D

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #1,867 of 5,632
This isn't about members joking around members to others eyes. It's about a sales rep selling a product, and others seeing/noticcing not so much of a high level customer service level on Focals part.(and I mean this when taking a step back even when you want to argue for company sake/ not that Jason is doing a bad job but in general I see it happen all the time where it fails) If it was just a member to member posts, I don't think anyone would reply/have a problem.. I think it's always wiser to give it a month to 2 month release time for consumers to get their hands on a product and report on their own before a rep steps in whether it'd be customer service or technical questions. Especially for ID companies that reply heavily on Internet advertising by word of mouth.

My original post was quoting Tony who was looking like he didn't understand that that Jason was joking around, then a little bit about the history of this thread so far. What it felt to me looking in was there was more than few people bothered by Jason posting and him being rather frank. Sure he is selling the Focals but he is the only one with them in stock and that seems to rub some people the wrong way. Focal stepping in the market with such an expensive flagship I hoped would have gone smoother but it was certainly a learning experience for everybody.

Otherwise like always, it seems like people are annoyed that the thread has once again devolved into talking about people talking. So yeah probably wise to talk about the headphones again.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Aug 12, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #1,869 of 5,632
I am curious to see how Ether C Flow will compare to Utopia.
For those who have heard both can you describe a little?
And both being open design the amount on leakage is the same?
Thanks.

For MY OWN preferences (based around musicality, dynamism, scale etc.) I enjoyed the Elears and Ether Flow almost equally, with Elear edging out in terms of slightly more mid-bass impact, not necessarily more but hits the ears in a more visceral way. I enjoyed the Flow more than the C Flow as Flow again has more "scale". Utopia has better technicalities over all of them BUT the bass is sort of mid way between C Flow and the original Ether Cs, there is weight, but not as visceral.

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #1,870 of 5,632
Oh man, all the talk about pad-swapping has got me thinking about Utopias again. I do get a decent tax-return in December, that and selling my other gear away would put me in the Utopia ball park. Decisions, decisions..

Aug 12, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #1,871 of 5,632
Words without facial expression for feedback (and I'm not referring to emoticons) convey only half of the intended meaning in any written discourse and may be misleading or misunderstood.
It's a shortcoming with internet communications (unless you're using cameras I guess).
You never know how someone will Interpret your words. Their temperament, mood, psychological state of mind at the time, a recent event, can influence how they perceive what they see written on the page.
Hearing someone speak, as on a phone, allows you a chance to interpret vocal inflections and infer more, especially if you know the other person well.
Exception: Politicians. Can lie with a straight face.
wink_face.gif

@Zojokkeil

The pad swap has got me juiced too.

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #1,872 of 5,632
  My original post was quoting Tony who was looking like he didn't understand that that Jason was joking around, then a little bit about the history of this thread so far. What it felt to me looking in was there was more than few people bothered by Jason posting and him being rather frank. Sure he is selling the Focals but he is the only one with them in stock and that seems to rub some people the wrong way. Focal stepping in the market with such an expensive flagship I hoped would have gone smoother but it was certainly a learning experience for everybody.

Otherwise like always, it seems like people are annoyed that the thread has once again devolved into talking about people talking. So yeah probably wise to talk about the headphones again.

I've been around headfi a while. And I've seen lot's of new products ushered in and the excitement that ensures. There are some outstanding manufacturer reps here for product threads...Heuster the Yellow comes to mind. Anyone new looking to make a good impression might take a look at his remarks in the Oppo thread. I've read this thread in it's entirety and I plan to unsub after this post. Let me be clear, there is nothing wrong with shipping updates, in stock information/quantity and responding to direct questions. But in all honesty this is quite different. 

I for one would appreciate if the vendors did not respond to nearly every post, particularly the dissenting ones. There is really no need to "defend" a product you might be selling. Most of the people here with experience and the money to buy such a product know how to sift through the jokers and the noise and get to the useful information. And the community already know that the Focal products are the real deal and so there is no need to defend them. Letting the thread play out just a bit with real impressions and responding a little more occasionally would seem more appropriate and appreciated at least for me. Sometimes "ignoring" some silly post makes you come across much smarter than responding. Just my opinion. 

Aug 12, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #1,873 of 5,632
I guess some people just got their panties twisted because their favorite headphone has suddenly been soundly thrashed by a relative newcomer (for headphones, that is). Personally, I love my Fostex TH900, but after reading several reviews from some very well-respected individuals in this community, I'm painfully aware that the Utopia is not a joke, but the real deal here and is now obviously THE top dog in the headphone industry.

Sometimes people have to let go of their feelings toward a particular product and embrace the newer, better, more refined product. I know that might be hard to do for some after spending thousands of dollars, but it's the price you pay for absolute perfection. 
cool.gif

Aug 12, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,874 of 5,632
I guess some people just got their panties twisted because their favorite headphone has suddenly been soundly thrashed by a relative newcomer (for headphones, that is). Personally, I love my Fostex TH900, but after reading several reviews from some very well-respected individuals in this community, I'm painfully aware that the Utopia is not a joke, but the real deal here and is now obviously THE top dog in the headphone industry.

Sometimes people have to let go of their feelings toward a particular product and embrace the newer, better, more refined product. I know that might be hard to do for some after spending thousands of dollars, but it's the price you pay for absolute perfection. :cool:
It isn't obviously the top dog at all. You should take the time to read through meet impressions and this thread to realise the opinions are close to being split; especially between the Elear and Utopia - and it's only just been released.

Tyll is not the messiah and neither Jude - but they are both pretty big names in this game (when it comes to reviews and experience) and both are not in agreement when it comes what the Utopia does better and does worse than the other offerings.

Im afraid chalking this up to jealousy or a perceived threat is a bit silly, and is the type of response Kanye West would give.

Let me guess, we're just 'haters'?

Many people on this forum who have the higher end cans could afford the Utopia tomorrow if they wanted - and they probably will get it tomorrow - I might too!

The issue here is if anything negative is said, questioned or suggested towards them - the same users are pouncing on people and pretending it's the first they've heard of it.

These headphones will not suit everyone. Just like Stax, the HD800, HE1000 and Abyss won't suit everyone.

This is all Bruce Lee syndrome but with headphones. People want an undefeatable headphone that can take on the world and under no circumstances be bested in any case and any discipline possible.. with everyone and every type of music involved.

But we aren't there yet buddy.. so let's hear what they do well and what they don't do well without the worry of the same 2-3 users jumping down people's throats.

Aug 12, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #1,875 of 5,632
One can to rule them all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back