Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jul 30, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,411 of 5,632
Relic,

Would like to hear your impressions of the Mojo/Elear combo, as well. Thinking of these myself, if they can be an upgrade to the HE-6 and be driven straight from Mojo.

Congrats on the Dave...that will have to wait for me (2 kids in college).

I'm not going to be able to comment compared to the HE-6, never heard them. Given the efficiency and impedance of the Elear I see absolutely no reason for the Mojo not being able to drive them well. Man, I can't wait to try them. It should be next week sometime.

I have one in fourth year University and the other taking a year off after just graduating high school. :wink_face:

Jul 30, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #1,412 of 5,632
I'm not going to be able to comment compared to the HE-6, never heard them. Given the efficiency and impedance of the Elear I see absolutely no reason for the Mojo not being able to drive them well. Man, I can't wait to try them. It should be next week sometime.

I have one in fourth year University and the other taking a year off after just graduating high school. :wink_face:

Hey, same ages, I guess, but my son not taking a gap year. Private in US vs Canada may be more, too. As far as Elear, more interested in overall impressions and synergy with Mojo, especially compared to Dave. Some day, as they say...

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #1,413 of 5,632
Not sure where you got your power numbers for the Mojo, but that seems incredibly low. The Mojo is just as powerful as the Hugo, just with less battery life per charge.

Chord's website specifies a 35mW output into 600 ohms for the Mojo, and a 720mW output into 8 ohms. The Elear comes in there somewhere in between at 80 ohms.

If I did my math right, that means the Mojo can swing about 3.41 V into an 8 ohm load, or 6.48 V into a 600 ohm load.  This should mean power output into an 80 ohm load like the Elear would be somewhere in the range of 72.6 to 262 mW.

With the Elear's specified sensitivity of 104 dB / mW, that means the Mojo should be able to power them up to about 123 - 128 dB.

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #1,414 of 5,632
Chord's website specifies a 35mW output into 600 ohms for the Mojo, and a 720mW output into 8 ohms. The Elear comes in there somewhere in between at 80 ohms.

If I did my math right, that means the Mojo can swing about 3.41 V into an 8 ohm load, or 6.48 V into a 600 ohm load.  This should mean power output into an 80 ohm load like the Elear would be somewhere in the range of 72.6 to 262 mW.

With the Elear's specified sensitivity of 104 dB / mW, that means the Mojo should be able to power them up to about 123 - 128 dB.

I agree, just not sure where tonykaz got his 'measly' 38milliWatts.

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #1,418 of 5,632
I wonder if I will be transporting any of these headphones in my trucks lol. Since I do pick up freight from the ports on the north east coast Nj/NY/MD
I did a bunch of shipments when the Xbox one/Ps4 launched.

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,420 of 5,632

Measly 38 milliwatts,

I got it from memory, not from measurements.   I think it was mentioned in one of Chord's statements.  

I don't own a Mojo but I'm impressed by how it can properly drive dynamic driver headphones!

I asked Jason Stoddard at Schiit about the need for greater power ( as in Lyr ), he replied by saying "you can't have too much power"! 

The point I'm presenting is that these Focals don't need Stoddard's philosophy in Amps, the finest "low" powered Amp ( the Mojo ) is more than enough to properly drive Audiophile headphones. 

to Mr. Sophonax, thanks for the data on the Mojo's Amp, nice work.

Tony in Michigan

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #1,424 of 5,632
Anyone that has tried it on ... how is the fit on a physically large head?

Love the sound of my Focal spirit one for example. But verges on impossible to wear, and now I have an over stressed broken headband.

Hope to hear confirmation Focal took larger heads into account with these.

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,425 of 5,632

The Chord Mojo seems to be slightly tuned on the warm side. I'm not sure if that works best with a headphone like the Elear judging by it's frequency response. Maybe the Utopia is better suited for the Chord Mojo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back