Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jun 24, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #781 of 5,632
If Focal released the Elear and Utopia for half its price, they would probably make twice or three times the revenue as they would knock everything off and everyone would go for those headphones and both would hit straight into a different market. Elear is still priced to a level way above Sennheiser Momentum and even HD650. Utopia is priced above HE1000 and similar as LCD4.

Jun 24, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #782 of 5,632

I am a huge advocate in that department. Check out my thread I started in the portable forums titled "Why does the AK380 cost 4 thousand dollars". From a broader perspective: In general music is subjective and "opinion" based. If someone released a computer with the same specs and build quality as another but charged thousands more and used clever marketing, you'd still have most people (especially the smarter people) not buying it because they'd get more or the same performance and save thousands of dollars by spending less.

I think with audio its a lot harder, because its not usually black and white. (although as a side note, things like DAPs have technical specs and can be more easily compared.. iRiver is exploiting people IMO and I am in the process of reviewing the 380)

Anyway my point is.. high end headphones are only becoming more and more popular so demand is going up, also the economy shows that everything becomes more expensive over time anyway. I think the best thing we can do as consumers is to not be afraid to talk about this stuff and to also really be a lot more harsh on companies who put a huge price tag on their products and expect us to just buy it and pretend its perfect or worth the money. If you look at the headphones people are charging $4000 or more for, they are actually generally less well regarded than headphones like the HD800. I think that means a lot more than we think. We should give more praise to companies like Sennheiser, not for making less expensive flagships but for actually giving us something equivalent (or better) to what they charge.

I could talk about this all day, but this is more of an impressions thread than anything (although I think the belief that pricing shouldn't ever be discussed is harmful to us consumers). If we are vocal about all of our issues (including overpricing) while being constructive and not whiny then we will all benefit from that.

Imagine if computers and so on followed the same price strategy as in the audio world. Computers would cost more than a house by now. (A 2016 Macbook Pro isn't sold at 2 times the cost of a 2015 Macbook Pro eventhough it's a better laptop with new technologies in it. It's sold at the exact same price as the 2015 Macbook Pro).

I'm also on the side of these prices are getting a bit out of control, especially since headphones are now entering very good reference speaker prices.

Jun 24, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #783 of 5,632

Imagine if computers and so on followed the same price strategy as in the audio world. Computers would cost more than a house by now. (A 2016 Macbook Pro isn't sold at 2 times the cost of a 2015 Macbook Pro eventhough it's a better laptop with new technologies in it. It's sold at the exact same price as the 2015 Macbook Pro)

Gosh that would be wonderful. Instead of headphone makers replacing their flagship models.. they just release them and slap a higher price tag on them. Would be so nice if that weren't the case. Again that isn't every manufacturer.. you can get the original HD800 for under a thousand dollars on Amazon now that the S is released, and yes thats brand new. 

Jun 24, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #784 of 5,632
Jun 24, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #788 of 5,632
  Why couldnt Focal just use mini XLR 3 connectors on both Elear and Utopia ? I dont understand it.. 

I asked the same question when I first saw it pages ago. Apparently no one has an idea. Or have yet to comment about it. lol

And I belive its a 3.5mm on the Elear, not XLRs.

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #789 of 5,632
I asked the same question when I first saw it pages ago. Apparently no one has an idea. Or have yet to comment about it. lol

And I belive its a 3.5mm on the Elear, not XLRs.
3.5 mini is correct on the Elear

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 24, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #794 of 5,632
I think the leather earpads LOOK so so much better, although I don't know which feels or sounds better. I am sure the sound will change.

That's very possible, but personally I'm not a fan of micro fibre at all, and would give it a shot. Whether it can actually be swapped or not is literally a yes or no question, shouldn't be this hard to get confirmation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back