Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jun 22, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #721 of 5,632
I'm surprised there is little discussion about comparisons within their own line. I understand comparing with the venerable HD650, but I'd like to hear more impressions of how the Elear might be a step up from their next in line (their previous flagship?)-- the Spirit Classic. Previously, I wasn't suggesting the two were necessarily head-to-head; only that it was the progression from which it should be evaluated. That is, unless Focal has something in price between the Spirit Classic and the Elear?

While the HD650 is a fine headphone, I actually prefer the Spirit Classic--more dynamic slam, mid-range forwardness and smoothness on top, while still being engaging. Are the Elear (and Utopia) an evolution from that approach, or a real departure? Or as Dillan mentioned above, can we identify a Focal 'house sound'?

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #722 of 5,632
Well said fjrabon
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #723 of 5,632
  I'm surprised there is little discussion about comparisons within their own line. I understand comparing with the venerable HD650, but I'd like to hear more impressions of how the Elear might be a step up from their next in line (their previous flagship?)-- the Spirit Classic. Previously, I wasn't suggesting the two were necessarily head-to-head; only that it was the progression from which it should be evaluated. That is, unless Focal has something in price between the Spirit Classic and the Elear?

While the HD650 is a fine headphone, I actually prefer the Spirit Classic--more dynamic slam, mid-range forwardness and smoothness on top, while still being engaging. Are the Elear (and Utopia) an evolution from that approach, or a real departure? Or as Dillan mentioned above, can we identify a Focal 'house sound'?

everything I've heard from people I know and trust says that the Elear and Utopia are a complete departure from the Spirit Classic, 100% rethinking with almost no relation to the sound of the other Focal headphones.

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #725 of 5,632

mmm.....ditto. Perfectly vivid. I hope he's right about the connection between the speakers and the headphones.

To be clear, I am not saying that Focal succeeded in their connection of their headphones with their speakers.  I am just describing how I felt about hearing a $200,000 set of focal speakers, since somebody asked about the "Focal Sound".  

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #727 of 5,632
  mmm.....yeah, it's the best thing from France  since french fries and Pepe Le Pew. BTT, what is the warranty policy of Focal for the headphones? Can we expect excellent after-sales service (and not just in the United States and other important markets but for those of us from the smaller market)? Or will be treated like freakin' orphans after we've parted with our hard-earned money? Sorry, I'm not familiar with Focal's service.

I've owned Focal speakers for quite a while and the couple of times I needed warranty service, they were great to work with.  I also had one driver fail out of warranty and the Focal service vendor was willing to send a raw driver out so I could replace it without shipping the speaker back to them.  They cost of the driver was, I thought, fair.

Focal has an existing support network which ought to be a big advantage when compared with some of the newer headphone manufacturers who have had to build their support capabilities in parallel with rolling out their initial products.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #730 of 5,632
  Random question: How would one describe Focal's "house sound". I have never owned any of their speakers and I have heard that these headphones are somewhat in line with their house sound, or at least I think Focal has said that is what their aim is.

fjrabon has it pretty spot on. My father is a focal fanboy and has most of their speaker models including the grand utopia EM, and to my ears, compared to other high end speakers, the treble isn't excessively boosted. Imaging is extraordinary, and they sound accurate not in a clinical sense, but in a realistic manner. 

The smaller speakers tend to be slightly treble heavy in my opinion, and I don't have the engineering know how to understand the benefits of the radioactive tweeters...

One thing that seems pretty standard for all their speakers is that they rarely lack in any particular frequency range, there may be some boosts here and there, but on the whole music is very coherently presented. (As a classical musician, I find classical fantastic to listen to...)

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #731 of 5,632
As fan of much of Focal's other offerings, colour me enthusiastic. I wonder how the Utopia's would compare to Shure's KSE1500s, apart from the obvious soundstaging and sound isolation differences.

I heard the 1500. Not for me... Utopia's midrange is more organic and highs are much smoother.

everything I've heard from people I know and trust says that the Elear and Utopia are a complete departure from the Spirit Classic, 100% rethinking with almost no relation to the sound of the other Focal headphones.

Elear and Utopia are high-end Focal sound. I own the Mezzo Utopia speakers and the professional Solo6 + Sub6 monitors.

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #732 of 5,632
Thanks for the answers guys it helps me understand. I haven't gotten any loudspeakers before, but will definitely look at Focal when I do. Their house sound seems right up my alley and if the headphones sound like that then I am even more interested in listening!

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #733 of 5,632

To be clear, I am not saying that Focal succeeded in their connection of their headphones with their speakers.  I am just describing how I felt about hearing a $200,000 set of focal speakers, since somebody asked about the "Focal Sound".  

Haha

You heard it here first, th $4k headphones are > than the $200k speakers.

Welcome to the internet. :)

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #734 of 5,632
Jun 22, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #735 of 5,632

Haha

You heard it here first, th $4k headphones are > than the $200k speakers.

Welcome to the internet. :)

To be fair, that's not what he said, but in any case...

I often use the analogy of cars vs. motorcycles. Speakers are like cars and headphones are like motorcycles, meaning that a super car that's $200K is way more expensive than a motorcycle with similar performance for $15K.

Obviously they are still totally different. If you look purely at acceleration times, then they are pretty close. If you look at braking or cornering, not so much.

I am sure someone would argue that a $15K motorcycle is better than a $200K super car. But my point is that you can buy a world class, top of the line headphone for a lot less than a world class, top of the line speaker.

I know it's not a prefect analogy, so let's not derail the thread over cars vs. motorcycles, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back