Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jun 22, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #706 of 5,632
mmm.....the Utopia doesn't look any better or worse than current headphones, regardless of price. Just by looking at the picture of the Utopia, my impressions: it looks utilitarian, modern, pleasantly proportioned, restrained and safe. There is nothing outlandish looking about it like the Star Wars-inspired HD 800 or the humongous monstrosity that is the Abyss. No bling effect. No gimmicks. No fat. No excess.

Yes, it very much looks like a typical French luxury item. I think I prefer the look of the Elear to the Utopia personally. But for my tastes theyre both among the classiest looking headphones I've ever seen.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #709 of 5,632
mmm.....the Utopia doesn't look any better or worse than current headphones, regardless of price. Just by looking at the picture of the Utopia, my impressions: it looks utilitarian, modern, pleasantly proportioned (no ugly angles), restrained and safe. There is nothing outlandish looking about it like the Star Wars-inspired HD 800 or the humongous monstrosity that is the Abyss. No bling effect. No gimmicks. No fat. No excess.

this is a matter of taste but i think that the hd800's design has aged well over the years, and the hd800s's more stealthy color scheme is a savvy evolution of it. i'm not a fan of the use of carbon fibre in headphones from an aesthetic perspective, which is why i prefer the look of the elear to the utopia.

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #711 of 5,632
I love the look of both the elear and the utopia personally. Both scream luxury IMO

I also am wondering about ear pads although I'd hate to change the character of the sound for the worst.

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #712 of 5,632
Yes, it very much looks like a typical French luxury item. I think I prefer the look of the Elear to the Utopia personally. But for my tastes theyre both among the classiest looking headphones I've ever seen.

I love the look of both the elear and the utopia personally. Both scream luxury IMO

I also am wondering about ear pads although I'd hate to change the character of the sound for the worst.

Agreed. They remind me of the Devialet Phantom speakers (which I own, surprisingly enough have not seen a peep be said about them anywhere on these forums), the typical French eccentric and luxurious design, yet minimalistic at the same time. As an avid fan of the subject at hand I could not have imagined a more fitting look for the Focal headphones and commend the team responsible for that side of the project.

I also prefer the stealthier and elegant look of the Elear personally over the ostentatious Utopia, though just looking at them both it seems obvious to me which one has the bigger price tag.

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #713 of 5,632
Happy to see french tech generating so much posts

biggrin.gif

Ali

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #714 of 5,632
mmm.....yeah, it's the best thing from France  since french fries and Pepe Le Pew. BTT, what is the warranty policy of Focal for the headphones? Can we expect excellent after-sales service (and not just in the United States and other important markets but for those of us from the smaller market)? Or will be treated like freakin' orphans after we've parted with our hard-earned money? Sorry, I'm not familiar with Focal's service.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #715 of 5,632
  mmm.....yeah, it's the best thing from France  since french fries and Pepe Le Pew. BTT, what is the warranty policy of Focal for the headphones? Can we expect excellent after-sales service (and not just in the United States and other important markets but for those of us from the smaller market)? Or will be treated like freakin' orphans after we've parted with our hard-earned money? Sorry, I'm not familiar with Focal's service.

Warranty is 4 years.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #716 of 5,632

Warranty is 4 years.

if their service on their speakers is any indication, they're great.  I have a friend who has a pair of their speakers and they've taken very good care of him.  The speakers also cost $200,000, so I guess that's to be expected.

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #718 of 5,632
Random question: How would one describe Focal's "house sound". I have never owned any of their speakers and I have heard that these headphones are somewhat in line with their house sound, or at least I think Focal has said that is what their aim is.

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #719 of 5,632
My Elear will be here Friday. If anyone has an hd650 theyd like to loan id be happy to pay shipping both ways. Ive owned several pairs amd have a good memory but I plan on a 3 way between Vali, HD650 and Elear.

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #720 of 5,632
  Random question: How would one describe Focal's "house sound". I have never owned any of their speakers and I have heard that these headphones are somewhat in line with their house sound, or at least I think Focal has said that is what their aim is.

from what I've personally heard from their speakers, their house sound is a very crisp presentation, with fast, yet full bass and smooth but very present treble.  It almost sort of reminds me of how CS Lewis describes the map of Narnia in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, where if you're just looking at it from a distance it looks like a perfectly normal map, but if you pull out a magnifying glass you can easily make out even the tiniest detail.  

If you're just relaxing, everything is imminently musical and coherent.  It just sounds right from a casual distance of listening, it makes your foot tap if your sitting back in a comfy chair.  However, the detail is there if you stop and force yourself to listen analytically.  It's not cold and forcing you to listen to details when you just want to hear the music, but if you take out your magnifying glass, the details are easily discoverable as well.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back