Focal Clear headphones
Feb 27, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #11,701 of 12,550
Clears are a great all round sound. Just because you are excited about your little toy doesn't mean that the Clear is not a great headphone.

So, why are you hanging around the Clear thread if they are so inferior?
Clear was great. However, time marches on, and now there is something newer, better and cheaper on the market - a rare combination in this hobby.

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #11,702 of 12,550
Clear was great. However, time marches on, and now there is something newer, better and cheaper on the market - a rare combination in this hobby.
Well, if I ever decide I want a neutral headphone, I will know where to go.

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #11,703 of 12,550
Why are people still buying Focal when NDH30 is on the market? Other than Clear's warmer signature and that slight bump in lower mid and mid (deviation from neutral) to give voice a more forward presentation, there is no other reason to pick Clear over NDH30.
Unless one prefers the Clear over the NDH30, in which case there is no reason to purchase the NDH30

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #11,704 of 12,550
Clear was great. However, time marches on, and now there is something newer, better** and cheaper on the market - a rare combination in this hobby.
** for you, maybe not for me ….

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #11,705 of 12,550
Feb 27, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #11,706 of 12,550
Speaking from experience?
Not yet, that is why I said maybe. The point is that what’s better for you is not ipso facto better for me.

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #11,707 of 12,550
Not yet, that is why I said maybe. The point is that what’s better for you is not ipso facto better for me.
Given the overlapping cans we both like, I think you will be impressed with these next generation Sennheiser/Neumann cans.

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #11,708 of 12,550
Given the overlapping cans we both like, I think you will be impressed with these next generation Sennheiser/Neumann cans.
That’s fair enough ☑️.

Feb 27, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #11,709 of 12,550
My Clear are the best, always will be, never ever will there be anything better. HA, HA!

p.s. looking at oratory1990 measurements and the NDH 30 treble looks like some serious hearing aid going on there tbh...

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #11,710 of 12,550
That's fair. Just because there is another newer/better headphone out there does not make Clear worse or less enjoyable. My point was that if someone is looking to pickup Clear right now, it may not make sense or make less sense now given the new competitors. Clear is missing too much sub bass to flesh out the soundstage and space.

Feb 27, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #11,711 of 12,550
Clear is missing too much sub bass to flesh out the soundstage and space.
Have to admit I haven't really listened to the Clear and wished for more sub bass.

To me, it's kind of like saying "That's a nice Ferrari, but it doesn't do well in the snow."

Feb 27, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #11,712 of 12,550
Have to admit I haven't really listened to the Clear and wished for more sub bass.

To me, it's kind of like saying "That's a nice Ferrari, but it doesn't do well in the snow."
Think the bass response was my favourite thing about the Clear tbh. So damn satisfying

Feb 28, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #11,713 of 12,550
Think the bass response was my favourite thing about the Clear tbh. So damn satisfying
Listening to Muse on the Clear right now - wholeheartedly agree

Mar 1, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #11,714 of 12,550
Hey guys so I had focal clear headphones that worked great on my laptop. Sold them to a local who paired it with a Denon PMA 1600 AMP and now they’re telling me if they turn up the volume higher there’s a pop and it feels like the speakers are loose when at like 20hz / when the drums hit. Works fine at normal volume. Any idea what could be wrong? He did try different cables.

Thank you
Look a few pages back about loose wiring. See if that might be the case.
If not loose wires, then a driver might be defective. Laptop or phone might not reveal the defect.
Does it only happen on one side?

Mar 1, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #11,715 of 12,550
Look a few pages back about loose wiring. See if that might be the case.
If not loose wires, then a driver might be defective. Laptop or phone might not reveal the defect.
Does it only happen on one side?
This sounds like the user is playing deep sub bass at high sound pressure levels.
Like any dynamic driver the Clears have an excursion limit, and it sounds like the user is pushing the headphone until the driver hits the mechanical end stop.
The Clears are not built for earth shattering sub bass levels, and driving them to these levels is neither healthy for the ears nor for the drivers.

I'd tell the buyer that this is a limitation of the open back design and he should try to stay within the design boundaries of the Clears then he'll be rewarded with excellent SQ. For the headbaning sub bass he'll need a closed headphone that's designed for it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back