Focal Clear headphones
Feb 25, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #11,687 of 12,550
I sent him your reply and he told me he listens to jazz not head bangers. Sucks because right now he thinks I’m a scammer. It worked fine on my laptop and his cell phone.
Maybe damaged in transit? Maybe he is not telling you the truth? You'll either have to take the heat or offer him a refund.

Feb 25, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #11,688 of 12,550
Maybe damaged in transit? Maybe he is not telling you the truth? You'll either have to take the heat or offer him a refund.
No we met in person and he tested it on his cell phone and it worked fine it’s only when he cranks it up on his amp that the issue becomes apparent. I’m just wondering if the headphones need repair or if this is just a preference thing. He’s an older mechanic so what loud means to him could be completely different than to me.

Thank you

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #11,689 of 12,550
Has he tried another source? Sounds like more of an amp issue imo

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #11,691 of 12,550
No we met in person and he tested it on his cell phone and it worked fine it’s only when he cranks it up on his amp that the issue becomes apparent. I’m just wondering if the headphones need repair or if this is just a preference thing. He’s an older mechanic so what loud means to him could be completely different than to me.

Thank you
Since he a local buyer, you could invite him by for a test if you are so inclined. However, he might have dropped them and is not admitting it.
You could check them for damage, but if they don't show damage you would be on the hook for a refund. Or it could be that his version of loud and yours are Very different.
I never go over 75 Db's, but there are people here that go up to 80 and 85 decibels. And that can be a tough job for some Focal's.

Good luck!

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #11,692 of 12,550

Thank you
I think he is just cranking the volume / his setup has a bass boost somewhere, or a combination of the two.

While waiting to be picked for jury duty a couple years ago, I was chatting with a man who plays piano and composes pieces.
I lent him my earbuds (actually I think it was the first airpods) - we had one earbud each I remember - and for me where I would be playing at half volume on my phone, he was just cranking it to the max. Just absolutely to the max. And then he told me he always does that and his hearing isn't great. And his main genre was piano / classical.

If I was selling the Clear I would mention if you really listen loud it can have issues, and that issue may not be present when testing at a cafe with a portable player.
A better idea is to meet at an audio shop and test it on their setups there...

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #11,693 of 12,550
I think he is just cranking the volume / his setup has a bass boost somewhere, or a combination of the two.

While waiting to be picked for jury duty a couple years ago, I was chatting with a man who plays piano and composes pieces.
I lent him my earbuds (actually I think it was the first airpods) - we had one earbud each I remember - and for me where I would be playing at half volume on my phone, he was just cranking it to the max. Just absolutely to the max. And then he told me he always does that and his hearing isn't great. And his main genre was piano / classical.

If I was selling the Clear I would mention if you really listen loud it can have issues, and that issue may not be present when testing at a cafe with a portable player.
A better idea is to meet at an audio shop and test it on their setups there...
I agree haha I just didn’t even know this was the problem I sent him a whole bunch of links apparently this is called clipping and many people in the past have talked about it. Hopefully it resolved things. Thank you for the help.

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #11,694 of 12,550

Been doing a Focal comparo for a few days now.
Started off doing some pad rolling and I didn't really care for the Elex pads. I found the Dekoni fenestrated pads pretty good, but prefer the originals. They are set aside until my originals wear out.

Next up, the Elex's are VERY close to these! Two plus years ago, I bought the Elex's, as they were half the price, landed in Canada. It was a smart decision. Nowadays, I would opt for the Clear's for $300.00 more Canuck bucks. One year warranty vs three years is a no-brainer.

Lastly, someone asked me a while ago if I preferred the Clear's or the Radiance's? They are pretty different headphones. The Clears have mids and above galore. And pretty decent bass for open backs.
But the Radiance are Great with any bass happening. I was going back forth with different songs and the Clear was a better match with more songs, but as soon as I felt the boom I switched to the Radiance's and Wow! What a great closed back headphone. These two are a great combo!
I want to reply to my own post as I just learned something new about the Elex's from Drop. They now have a two year warranty. I thought mine had a one year when I bought them a couple of years ago. Maybe to calm down people who were nervous about driver issues?

Just wanted to correct my earlier post.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #11,695 of 12,550
Well not knowing about headphones.ca has burned me too, order the Clear OG from Haedphones.com for almost $200 more, too bad they didn't tell customers from Canada about Canadian site. I have emailed trying to cancel order, sigh. I recently bought the Celestee too so my headphone journey has ended with these two.

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #11,696 of 12,550
Why are people still buying Focal when NDH30 is on the market? Other than Clear's warmer signature and that slight bump in lower mid and mid (deviation from neutral) to give voice a more forward presentation, there is no other reason to pick Clear over NDH30.

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #11,697 of 12,550
Why are people still buying Focal when NDH30 is on the market? Other than Clear's warmer signature and that slight bump in lower mid and mid (deviation from neutral) to give voice a more forward presentation, there is no other reason to pick Clear over NDH30.
hahaha so you have nothing better to do than reply to a Focal thread about what a bad choice buying them is? Troll? :)

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #11,698 of 12,550
hahaha so you have nothing better to do than reply to a Focal thread about what a bad choice buying them is? Troll? :)
What? are you high?

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #11,699 of 12,550
Feb 27, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #11,700 of 12,550
Clears are a great all round sound. Just because you are excited about your little toy doesn't mean that the Clear is not a great headphone.

So, why are you hanging around the Clear thread if they are so inferior?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back