Focal Clear headphones
Feb 5, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #11,596 of 12,550
I think you’re totally right to be frustrated and it’s some real bad luck that this happened twice in a row.

I understand dougms3’s pov that it could be an easy fix and I’ve taken that position before too with other things. But at the same time, you’re absolutely right that no amount of DIY fixes should be required out of the box for a $1500 pair of headphones.

I got my OG Clears used and was initially a bit disappointed that I could hear a small rattle as if something was loose inside the left earcup. This wasn’t disclosed. I haven’t bothered to investigate more because it’s not affecting the actual listening experience.

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #11,597 of 12,550
Just out of curiosity, is it a loose rattling sound or more of a "thunk" sound? My Mg's did that once on an extremely loud track (wasn't paying attention to the volume...). Discovered it was a driver excursion problem. They've not done it since.

I've also read about the "loose wire" issue, and I absolutely agree with you - a $1,500 pair off headphones should not need a "2 minutes fix" out of the box. Glad you got the LCD-X. I heard they're excellent headphones (I haven't heard them myself). Enjoy!

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #11,598 of 12,550
At b&h right now. They exchanged the pair and I asked to test the replacements out here before heading home, so I did in the sound corner inside the retail space. This time the left side rattled with bass at higher volumes. The associate clearly heard it too. Unfortunately they don't have another pair for me to try, as I was going to give Focal one more try. What terrible quality control. I'm going to go with another brand/pair of cans. I guess I'm really unlucky.

Edit: Im leaving with the LCD-X, plus another Sonos one to complement my other one at home and an extra 100 bucks

Focal…are you listening (reading)?

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #11,599 of 12,550
Excuse you? It was severe and annoying. AND I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO VOID THE WARRANTY OF $1500 HEADPHONES TO MAKE THEM WORK, MAYBE (because you aren't even sure that is actually the issue) - the B&H associate heard itas well. He's like this is really bad. It is unlistenable, unless you listen to all your music at 50% volume or below. IT's like this rattling/crackling sound like the driver is overloaded. Literally no other headphone of mine or that I've tried has ever made that noise at the same volumes. Including this weekend. I'm pretty sure I know what headphones are supposed to sound like, even though I only have a few good ones.

If I bought a pair of Hifimans and they didn't work right brand new, I'd be complaining about them too. I mean it's kind of acceptable to have some defects in cheap headphones QC on the line, but $1500 headphones? That's insulting. Two in a row. That's really really bad. I'd complain whoever was the manufacturer, I don't know why you are taking a legitimate problem with Focal personally and have to deflect to another brand. There is no excuse for any brand to do this poorly.

Of the four reviews on B&H for the Focal Clear MG and MG Professional - 1 mentions a terrible rattling sound as well. And it's easy to find with a google as well on reddit, etc..

I'm not happy because I really wanted to audition these thoroughly, not go through the hassle of returning a pair, then going in person to do so, then trying the replacements to make sure.
Lol calm down there buddy, opening the headphones is not going to void the warranty.

I know what it sounds like. It costs a dollar or so to buy a t6 torx bit and a tiny bit of physical effort to find out. Could have saved money and a trip to B&H. But you do whatever you want to do.

It seems like you're more interested in complaining and bashing focal, which is fair, it shouldn't be like that for a $1500 item but it is what it is. I'm just offering a solution, if its not appreciated just return it and move on. Focal probably won't be addressing that issue anytime soon.

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #11,600 of 12,550
Just out of curiosity, is it a loose rattling sound or more of a "thunk" sound? My Mg's did that once on an extremely loud track (wasn't paying attention to the volume...). Discovered it was a driver excursion problem. They've not done it since.

I've also read about the "loose wire" issue, and I absolutely agree with you - a $1,500 pair off headphones should not need a "2 minutes fix" out of the box. Glad you got the LCD-X. I heard they're excellent headphones (I haven't heard them myself). Enjoy!

I think I'd say the sound is best described as like a thick crackling noise, basically what it sounds like when a driver can't handle the amount of bass it's getting. As the B&H guy said it sounds like his older shittier car stereo when it couldn't handle the bass, or something that sounds overloaded - but clearly we were not playing it too loud.

But I have no idea if it's the driver, or the wire or what. It only happened at higher volumes, with every bass note impact. I purposely used some music with some electronic influence so I could get that bass sound.

I can say I listened to all the same tracks at home at the same volume on my Beyer T90, Neumann NDH-30, LCD-CB and any other wired headphone I've ever had and it's clearly a defect. It's not slight, it's offensive. Also the fact it happened more on one side than the other is another clear indicator there is something wrong with the units, not the music. The first pair the right side was very offensive, whereas the left was there with a lesser level of crackling. The second pair it was reversed.

I really wanted to listen to these - I wanted something a bit warmer but detailed. They felt a little 'veiled' compared to my other cans the little bit I heard them on tracks and volumes they were not crackling on but I did not have nearly enough time to get to know the Clear MG's. They were super super comfy and light as well. The Audeze LCD-2CB and now the LCD-X weight does not bother me, but I would always prefer a lighter headphone if possible, and the MG's were nice and light.

(also I have a torx screwderiver set, but certainly not opening pricey cans to mess around in a return period)

I also have nothing against Focal. In fact, $1500 to me is a lot of money (and my most expensive headphones by far), and I wanted to give them my money after reading about all my options at that price point. Why would I be out to bash Focal if in fact after hours of research and reading, it's their product I chose for my hard-earned money?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #11,601 of 12,550
I think I'd say the sound is best described as like a thick crackling noise, basically what it sounds like when a driver can't handle the amount of bass it's getting. As the B&H guy said it sounds like his older shittier car stereo when it couldn't handle the bass, or something that sounds overloaded - but clearly we were not playing it too loud.

But I have no idea if it's the driver, or the wire or what. It only happened at higher volumes, with every bass note impact. I purposely used some music with some electronic influence so I could get that bass sound.

I can say I listened to all the same tracks at home at the same volume on my Beyer T90, Neumann NDH-30, LCD-CB and any other wired headphone I've ever had and it's clearly a defect. It's not slight, it's offensive. Also the fact it happened more on one side than the other is another clear indicator there is something wrong with the units, not the music. The first pair the right side was very offensive, whereas the left was there with a lesser level of crackling. The second pair it was reversed.

I really wanted to listen to these - I wanted something a bit warmer but detailed. They felt a little 'veiled' compared to my other cans the little bit I heard them on tracks and volumes they were not crackling on but I did not have nearly enough time to get to know the Clear MG's. They were super super comfy and light as well. The Audeze LCD-2CB and now the LCD-X weight does not bother me, but I would always prefer a lighter headphone if possible, and the MG's were nice and light.

(also I have a torx screwderiver set, but certainly not opening pricey cans to mess around in a return period)

I also have nothing against Focal. In fact, $1500 to me is a lot of money (and my most expensive headphones by far), and I wanted to give them my money after reading about all my options at that price point. Why would I be out to bash Focal if in fact after hours of research and reading, it's their product I chose for my hard-earned money?
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I recently bought the OG Clear and Radiance headphones from Headphones.com. Both worked perfectly, as I had hoped. You are correct that $1,500.00 is a lot of money and they shouldn't be broken. Most negative comments I have seen about Focals are related to the Elex from Drop (which I also have and love).

Maybe you will be happier with Audeze. It certainly is a very different brand.

Did you really listen at 50% volume? That would kill me. Of course it depends on the chain.

Did you not want to buy the OG's? Headphones.com was selling them for $839.00.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #11,602 of 12,550
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I recently bought the OG Clear and Radiance headphones from Headphones.com. Both worked perfectly, as I had hoped. You are correct that $1,500.00 is a lot of money and they shouldn't be broken. Most negative comments I have seen about Focals are related to the Elex from Drop (which I also have and love).

Maybe you will be happier with Audeze. It certainly is a very different brand.

Did you really listen at 50% volume? That would kill me. Of course it depends on the chain.

Did you not want to buy the OG's? Headphones.com was selling them for $839.00.

B&H did not have the OG Clear, and I am using my B&H card which let's me buy things at that price over 12 months without interest, otherwise I would have tried those.

I would like to go to Audio 46 and try the Focal Clear MG there, and while I'm at it audition the Beyer T1 3rd gen to see how much darker they really got. Put one of those pairs on the list for next year after my last two purchases are paid off.

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #11,603 of 12,550
B&H did not have the OG Clear, and I am using my B&H card which let's me buy things at that price over 12 months without interest, otherwise I would have tried those.

I would like to go to Audio 46 and try the Focal Clear MG there, and while I'm at it audition the Beyer T1 3rd gen to see how much darker they really got. Put one of those pairs on the list for next year after my last two purchases are paid off.
I tried the T5 3rd gen and dark doesn't begin to describe them. Headphones.com is the only one still selling the OG, I think.

Happy hunting.

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #11,604 of 12,550
I tried the T5 3rd gen and dark doesn't begin to describe them. Headphones.com is the only one still selling the OG, I think.

Happy hunting.

Thanks. If I straight up had $1500 cash I would have gone to Audio46 and tried another pair of MG's.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #11,605 of 12,550
I’m hungry and want to make food but I don’t want to stop listening to these epic headphones. Just a few more songs…

I swear that going between Arya and Clear it’s impossible to get bored. They’re so different to each other. I don’t see myself ever getting another headphone. Well … “ever” is a long time. But 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

This is what protein shakes are for. No need to get up or power-down. Just need a straw :sunglasses:

Feb 5, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #11,606 of 12,550
This is what protein shakes are for. No need to get up or power-down. Just need a straw :sunglasses:
Snack drawer. Mine's stocked with Chex Mix, chocolate, and nuts. I'm set for days here...

Feb 5, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #11,608 of 12,550
We should build a solar-powered Tube Amp - in case the grid goes down 😂

Prob not possible with your Elrods 😎
The Glory of Elrog provides its own power and glow! Their light ever shines upon all of their domain!

Feb 5, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #11,609 of 12,550

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back