Focal Clear headphones
Jan 20, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #11,536 of 12,550
Yes, indeed, Hugo Mk1 is quite smooth, laid back too. As a DAC I use it mostly with Violectric V200 for smooth sound or with various Schiit amps and a Topping A30 pro for ultimate "clearness".

Nice!
What do you think about MG?

Collecting clear when there's cheap used price should be great :)

I'm really into focal headphone design. Except bathys , looks somehow not focal

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #11,538 of 12,550
Had the MG.
To my ears (and given my listening preferences), the MG lacked high frequency presence and sense of air.
Prefer the OG.
(Also preferred the Elear with Clear OG ear pads to the MG.)
Yeah, elear with clear pads is extremely good. I already tried that..

I see, I think I Will not like MG that much from your statement :)

Also I'm buying clear replacement pads from aliexprss china, I'll give impression here , if it's Change the sound a lot or no ^^

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #11,539 of 12,550
I suggest using PEQ or some convolver EQ, on Windows I'm using Equalizer APO with PEACE GUI and eq data from AutoEQ results database based on oratory1990 measurements. All freeweare.
Yep, using that. Any album recommendations?

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #11,540 of 12,550
Nice Hugo :) must be very good...
But I want something more aggressive and or flatter freq. Response, not like mojo 1. It's good for certain song , but I always want more treble And "clearness"

Of course I'll get balanced cable :)
I'm planning to make custom XLR to 4.4mm converter
I have Mojo 1, Mojo 2 and Hugo 2 (and the 2Qute in my Stereo, which is a Hugo 1 with fixed output)
You should try the Hugo 2 if you can. Better definition and detail than the Mojo 1, especially in the bass (deeper, more detailed, textured and authoritative) and the treble (also more detailed, textured and extended). Overall extremely even, detailed and textured from deep bass to high treble (as far as I can judge with my hearing limit of 14,5kHz....)
The special thing about the Hugo is the staging, imaging, layering and depth are really good, and there's so much detail that you can hear the room reflections in the reverb of the notes.

Mojo 2 is right in between - it has the flat frequency extension top and bottom of the Hugo 2, and in terms of detail, precision, soundstage width and depth, imaging, separation and layering it's somwhere in the middle betweem the Mojo 1 and Hugo 2. But it does not have that magic "room acoustic" of the Hugo 2. It's more like the note starts, then decays in a straight line while on the Hugo 2 the attack is sharper and the decay comes alive with lots of nuances and microdetails.

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #11,541 of 12,550
Yeah, elear with clear pads is extremely good. I already tried that..

I see, I think I Will not like MG that much from your statement :)

Also I'm buying clear replacement pads from aliexprss china, I'll give impression here , if it's Change the sound a lot or no ^^
Which Clear pads will you buy from aliexpress?
Please let us know how it worked out.

This looks nice, not sure how it sounds compared to the original ones.

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #11,542 of 12,550

Tempting. I like the look of the red.

But, with the OG pads, I could feel the edge of the cup on the back of my ear, meaning the pads were just a little too thin for me. Not a big deal, but a little annoying.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #11,543 of 12,550
I have Mojo 1, Mojo 2 and Hugo 2 (and the 2Qute in my Stereo, which is a Hugo 1 with fixed output)
You should try the Hugo 2 if you can. Better definition and detail than the Mojo 1, especially in the bass (deeper, more detailed, textured and authoritative) and the treble (also more detailed, textured and extended). Overall extremely even, detailed and textured from deep bass to high treble (as far as I can judge with my hearing limit of 14,5kHz....)
The special thing about the Hugo is the staging, imaging, layering and depth are really good, and there's so much detail that you can hear the room reflections in the reverb of the notes.

Mojo 2 is right in between - it has the flat frequency extension top and bottom of the Hugo 2, and in terms of detail, precision, soundstage width and depth, imaging, separation and layering it's somwhere in the middle betweem the Mojo 1 and Hugo 2. But it does not have that magic "room acoustic" of the Hugo 2. It's more like the note starts, then decays in a straight line while on the Hugo 2 the attack is sharper and the decay comes alive with lots of nuances and microdetails.
Tried all that In an audio event here, I agree with you ^^
But I was try them using my Beyer 1990 p. Which I already sold.
Mojo 2 is good, and hugo2 is awesome.

But yeah, I think I need DAP for now , for simplicity and flexibility. Just ordered a hiby R5ii and hope it's a good pair with clear ^^

I'll switch to m11+ soon if I get a good deal.

I love my clear .

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #11,544 of 12,550

Yeah that specific link ^^
I ordered 2 pair, in case I want to be creative with it by coloring it :)

Sure I'll share it here. Since I don't get a review of it here back then when I asked it, and I want to help other clear enjoyer :)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #11,545 of 12,550
Tempting. I like the look of the red.

But, with the OG pads, I could feel the edge of the cup on the back of my ear, meaning the pads were just a little too thin for me. Not a big deal, but a little annoying.
Yeah the red looks so good sure, I'll let you know how it sounds when it arrived. Estimation on end of Feb. ^^

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #11,546 of 12,550
Has anyone tried the ZMF suede earpads for Focal series? Supposed to be quite linear to the Elex pads that Zach has tested with in-house.

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #11,547 of 12,550
Would welcome your input regarding the album(s) you love to listen to with the OG Clear.

Looking to try some new music ... or perhaps rediscover something I forgot about. Thanks.
I love music streaming since joining Tidal (HiFi+), predominantly the weekly NEW MUSIC OFFERINGS that are based on the music & groups I indicated that I liked at initial setup. No need to buy any music anymore unless it’s a particular release with extras that interest me.

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #11,548 of 12,550
I got my Fenestrated sheepskins for the Clears although I haven't used them yet. I thought I would get my buddy to model them first.

20230120_152033~2.jpg

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #11,549 of 12,550
Yep, using that. Any album recommendations?
I must admit I didn't get any time with my Clear OG since getting the Utopia last Spring. Funny thing is I'm missing the Clear OG sound experience, Utopia is different as much as it is more technically adept.

I've many totl headphones, and usually feel more like genre matching than specific recording matching. The problem is headphones like Clear, Utopia, hekv2 are too balanced to really care about what music genre is being played, as opposed to headphones like HD800, LCD2F, VC etc... which are more specific masters of their own strenghts rather than being jack of all trades.

But, since You asked, I will oblige with some recordings I remember enjoying particurarly with my Clear OG.

Here You go.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #11,550 of 12,550
First problem is that you're looking for reliable headphone info on reddit.

Its obvious that person does not own this headphone. And he's exaggerating certain things he's "heard". Never heard of anyone having the cables fail on them. The stock cable is stiff yes, but I haven't heard anyone have them fail.
I bought my Clear OG when they first came on the market in the US. The first one had something loose and rattling. Dealer replaced it without a problem, and I have had zero problems with these headphones since then (other than the unavoidable discoloration of the pads). No breaking, no cracking, no unusual crackling noises with reasonably loud music, no cable problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back