Focal Clear headphones
Jan 8, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #11,491 of 12,550
Reson for going balanced in my case is to future proof my setup.
I have a DX3pro+ probably has enough juice to power them.

Anyway 1st I'll order the clear's then I would decide if this steup is enough!

Btw I in terms of QC, do I have something to worry about?
No, but having said that, anything can happen with any headphone.

Jan 8, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #11,492 of 12,550
Would suggest for consideration an iFi Zen Can at this price point to pair with the Clears. They paired well (to my ear).

IMHO --> as noted above, you likely don't need balanced, but this AMP can take (input) 4.4mm TRRS (hart makes adapter). I was tinkering a while back via an RME ADI2 fs DAC. I recall there is also a 4.4mm TRRS output (for your headphones).

This. This amp is really good for the money. I bought one a while back, and ended up doing what I always do... Blow more money on more expensive gear. At the end of the day, this has been the one amp that I have kept. It is just a nice sounding, competent amp.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #11,493 of 12,550
Would suggest for consideration an iFi Zen Can at this price point to pair with the Clears. They paired well (to my ear).

IMHO --> as noted above, you likely don't need balanced, but this AMP can take (input) 4.4mm TRRS (hart makes adapter). I was tinkering a while back via an RME ADI2 fs DAC. I recall there is also a 4.4mm TRRS output (for your headphones).

TC-3-R_1296x.png
nice, I'll diggin into that amp as well.

Jan 8, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #11,495 of 12,550
So what can you tell me about the Audio Envy cable?

I don't want to derail this Focal thread with interconnect banter. I enjoy them very much and use throughout my chain.

Here are a few articles if interested. Feel free to PM me - always happy to share more thoughts.

1. https://www.thesoundadvocate.com/2020/12/audio-envy-cables-reviewed/
2. https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019...the-most-underrated-cable-in-hi-fi-rmaf-2019/
3. https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/audio-envy-prestige-interconnect-cables.872519/

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #11,498 of 12,550
I have a Lake People G109S for sale if you’re ever interested, seeing how you received a couple of recommendations pairing it with the Focal Clears. I have the Clear and I agree the Clear sounds very good with this amp. Cheers.
Lake G109S is a little to expensive right now for me
I'll keep in mind for the future, thanks

Jan 9, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #11,499 of 12,550
I actually use the r70x which i really like. Now i am looking for the Next step or better an endgame headphone with the same tonality. I read that the Elex Sounds better than the Elear because of the different Pads and the Elear is a Bit Wonky and the drunken version of the Clear. I could get a Clear for 999 € and the Elear for 499 €. It is a difficult decision. Maybe These French headphones are more an Sidestep than an upgrade in comparison To the r70x?

Jan 9, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #11,500 of 12,550
Hello,

I have 2 pairs of Sennheiser headphones: HD 600 & 660s. I usually listen to classical music using one of these paired with Lotoo Paw 6K and Topping NX7. I am quite satisfied with the result. Now I am thinking of getting Focal Clear or MG; would it be a wise upgrade ?
Facal Clear has wider sound stage. I would describe it as going from small to medium. Deeper (not bigger) ear-cups.
Focal cost more. Heavier than HD600. Focal ear-pads are expensive. I think the HD600 would be more durable than Clear.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #11,502 of 12,550
All pads get soiled/dirty from usage. Some material is more difficult to clean than others. I think the Alcontara (Focal Clear) is probably more difficult to clean than velour or leather.
How long would your ear-pads last is difficult to say as it depends on many variables.
Dark colors just hide dirt better but does not mean it's cleaner.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #11,504 of 12,550
I’m curious, what are the thoughts here on the Clear OG vs the Arya Stealth?

Those seem to be the two most beloved headphones in their class (with the 800S and LCD-X also being widely loved, but a little more polarizing).
Which do you prefer between the Clear OG and Arya?

Also, what’s the story with production? The OG has allegedly been discontinued for a long time now, yet it still appears to be widely available - especially at Headphones.com. Was there that large a batch of unsold stock? For such a highly regarded headphone, it seems odd to me that the old batch is lasting so long - especially at the significantly reduced price of $890, or even $839 recently.

Also, its replacement (the Clear MG) is nowhere near as beloved. Virtually every review I’ve seen prefers the OG. So I have to wonder what Focal’s thinking is behind all of this.

Jan 10, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #11,505 of 12,550
• A few thoughts about Focal Clear (OG) after two —> three years of ownership:
• Musically coherent & cohesive; excellent tonal balance; highly detailed regardless of volume; wide dynamics; ‘force’, ‘heft’, ‘slam’ in delivery across volume levels; reasonable soundstage; excellent rendition of depth and ambience; airiness & openness.
• What is missing / has not happened: driver clipping; headband breakage / squeaking; emblem erosion; earpad ‘crud’ (Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin); ‘metallicity’ / steeliness in sound spectrum.
• Focal Clear remains one of my stalwart headphones.
4DB64EE8-7380-45EB-854E-870716ADC206.jpeg
[Norne Audio Vykari headphone cable]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back