Focal Clear headphones
Jan 8, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #11,476 of 12,641
I hear wonderful things about the Forza - have never heard them myself -- will have to try a pair for 23' resolutions :wink:

I've been primarily running HPC from Audio Envy - a small shop out of Colorado Springs.
So I don't know about AE. I had to look since that was local. He's got some pretty tall claims... So... How are they? How are their HPCs?

Jan 8, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #11,477 of 12,641
Hello,

I have 2 pairs of Sennheiser headphones: HD 600 & 660s. I usually listen to classical music using one of these paired with Lotoo Paw 6K and Topping NX7. I am quite satisfied with the result. Now I am thinking of getting Focal Clear or MG; would it be a wise upgrade ?

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #11,478 of 12,641
Hello,

I have 2 pairs of Sennheiser headphones: HD 600 & 660s. I usually listen to classical music using one of these paired with Lotoo Paw 6K and Topping NX7. I am quite satisfied with the result. Now I am thinking of getting Focal Clear or MG; would it be a wise upgrade ?
I've only heard the 58x but I can safely say, its a huge upgrade to that headphone.

It just does everything better.

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #11,479 of 12,641
I had the HD6XX and after focusing on some quality IEMs felt that something was lacking with the Senns. After landing the Clear in September, the lack was ... clear. Note I wrote I "had" the HD6XX. Now some guy in Montreal does.

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #11,480 of 12,641
Hello,

The Clear is definitely a different sound signature. To me, it's more refined, better timbre, and an over all a better headphone. Choosing one over the other at any point in time, is based more on my mood rather than any particular genres. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. So the question you ask "would it be a wise upgrade?". The answer is variable and there isn't a black and white answer (IMHO). Sorry I can't be more definitive one way or another. Good luck!

Leo

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #11,481 of 12,641
The Clear is definitely a different sound signature. To me, it's more refined, better timbre, and an over all a better headphone. Choosing one over the other at any point in time, is based more on my mood rather than any particular genres. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. So the question you ask "would it be a wise upgrade?". The answer is variable and there isn't a black and white answer (IMHO). Sorry I can't be more definitive one way or another. Good luck!

Leo

Totally agree with Leo! Especially on the points about Mood / Genre of music.

Hello,

The Clear is much more resolving / competent in presenting micro-detail vs. 600. For additional consideration, I'd suggest the top-end also has more "sparkle" / air vs. the HD600 ... and the bass response and overall dynamics are significantly greater.

All that being said, the HD600 is a wonderful headphone with an unmistakable midrange... one of the "tried and true"... a classic to be enjoyed and kept in one's stable.

Jan 8, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #11,482 of 12,641
The Clear is much more resolving / competent in presenting micro-detail vs. 600. For additional consideration, I'd suggest the top-end also has more "sparkle" / air vs. the HD600 ... and the bass response and overall dynamics are significantly greater.

All that being said, the HD600 is a wonderful headphone with an unmistakable midrange... one of the "tried and true"... a classic to be enjoyed and kept in one's stable.
I have always preferred the HD600s over the 650s & even purchased a 2nd pair when the 1st was damaged. There's something about their presentation that is so nice & unforgettable ("tried & true" as was stated). That said, they don't get play time for me now that I have the Focal Clear. The reason being that I can't negate the A/B comparison. BUT - the memory of that comparison fades if you take away the Focals & rely on the 600s again. This sensibility will probably hold true for most of us that "upgrade".

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #11,483 of 12,641
I have always preferred the HD600s over the 650s & even purchased a 2nd pair when the 1st was damaged. There's something about their presentation that is so nice & unforgettable ("tried & true" as was stated). That said, they don't get play time for me now that I have the Focal Clear. The reason being that I can't negate the A/B comparison. BUT - the memory of that comparison fades if you take away the Focals & rely on the 600s again. This sensibility will probably hold true for most of us that "upgrade".

The Clear as a daily driver is hard to beat. Can't think of another headphone that can deliver as much performance at it's price point.

Regarding your HD600 not getting playtime --> IMHO --> it's good to go back to your HD600 for two reasons... 1) they are great headphones and with certain AMP pairings are fantastic and can remain "frequent fliers" with you....and 2) might appreciate / enjoy the Clears longer by going back to the HD600 and noticing all the differences / strengths / weakness of both :)

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #11,484 of 12,641
Focal Clear OG for 600 euros is it a worth upgrade over my Sundara? I'm cool on speding a couple more if I can get a better sound experience.

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #11,485 of 12,641
Focal Clear OG for 600 euros is it a worth upgrade over my Sundara? I'm cool on speding a couple more if I can get a better sound experience.
Yes, definitely. It is the next level up in headphones.

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #11,486 of 12,641
Yes, definitely. It is the next level up in headphones.
Do you have any recommendations on a balanced amp up to 200 euros?

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #11,487 of 12,641
Lake People G109 - it's not balanced but it plays well with the Clear in my experience, and can be had for around your budget used.

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #11,488 of 12,641
You would be hard pressed to get a nice balanced amp for that price. But you really don't need balanced as they are very easy to drive. I would second the idea of the used Lake People amp.

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #11,489 of 12,641
You would be hard pressed to get a nice balanced amp for that price. But you really don't need balanced as they are very easy to drive. I would second the idea of the used Lake People amp.
Lake People G109 - it's not balanced but it plays well with the Clear in my experience, and can be had for around your budget used.
Reson for going balanced in my case is to future proof my setup.
I have a DX3pro+ probably has enough juice to power them.

Anyway 1st I'll order the clear's then I would decide if this steup is enough!

Btw I in terms of QC, do I have something to worry about?

Jan 8, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #11,490 of 12,641

Would suggest for consideration an iFi Zen Can at this price point to pair with the Clears. They paired well (to my ear).

IMHO --> as noted above, you likely don't need balanced, but this AMP can take (input) 4.4mm TRRS (hart makes adapter). I was tinkering a while back via an RME ADI2 fs DAC. I recall there is also a 4.4mm TRRS output (for your headphones).

TC-3-R_1296x.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back