Focal Clear headphones
Dec 10, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #11,356 of 12,550
I still have a pair of Dekoni Stellia pads, but prefer the Utopia pads.
I was comparing the Clears with Stellia pads against the Utopia (in a shop) and was surprised by how muffled the Clears sounded, quite different to a comparison I had done a year prior with the OG pads on the Clear, where I found the differentce to the Utopia rather small.
So I swapped the pads between the Utopia and Clears and this time the Utopia sounded muffled.
I did run another comparison test, just cycling through the Clear OG, Dekoni Stellia and Utopia pads at home and still came to the same conclusion.

To my ears the OG pads sound like a room with lots of acoustic treatment (sound absorbers), the Utopia much more more neutral, more "open" and detailed with a slight bass boost, but overall maintaining and even enhancing the neutral nature of the Clears. The Stellia pads take it a bit too far with the bass for my taste and something is happening to the clarity.

Just want to share this experience to show that pad preferences seem to depend a lot on personal preference!

Cheers!
I take back what I said re: Clear alternative replacement earpads.

The best replacement earpad is probably the Utopia earpad. The 'fun' replacement is the Dekoni Stellia.
Utopia pads keep the same tonality, fill in the low end a tiny bit. The downside is that they are shallower than Dekoni so throw a smaller stage (nothing new for Focal)
The plus of both these earpads is you can keep them indefinitely with some leather care.

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #11,357 of 12,550
Hi , I'm new to this thread. I own elear before, Im amazed by how it's looks , and build quality. But I don't like the mid dips on elear. Tried elear + elex pads and it's very good , solve the problem.

But I already let go of my elear long time ago. Now I'm getting a clear OG (maybe, im still not sure am I able to get it or no). I hope I can in early 2023.

Is anyone experienced pairing clear OG with hiby r3 saber? Is there any problem? Thanks.

Btw this is my first post on head fi ^^
I preferred the Elear with the Clear OG pads to the Clear MG, and in some respects (e.g. open-ness and airiness) to the Clear OG themselves.

Dec 11, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #11,359 of 12,550
I take back what I said re: Clear alternative replacement earpads.

The best replacement earpad is probably the Utopia earpad. The 'fun' replacement is the Dekoni Stellia.
Utopia pads keep the same tonality, fill in the low end a tiny bit. The downside is that they are shallower than Dekoni so throw a smaller stage (nothing new for Focal)
The plus of both these earpads is you can keep them indefinitely with some leather care.
i take it back again, the best earpads are the stock earpads and I hate Focal for it.

I have a mesh pouch for some eye masks, I recommend washing the stock earpads in the washing machine through this, with a touch of gentle detergent powder, on a quick setting (10-15 min with minimal spin time)

Attachments

• inclusions_jpg.png
    inclusions_jpg.png
    454.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 11, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #11,360 of 12,550
@Nada if you have stock pads that are at their end of life, you can wash them in warm water with some mild soap or dish washing soap, by hand, they will streach and puff up, and the soundstage will expand a lot in my experience.

Said that, if there are similar pads like this stock washed ones (see photo), ie. deeper (increased distance between ear and driver), wider (increased air volume inside the pad) and softer than fresh stock pads, they are worth a try.

11203286.jpg
11413286.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #11,361 of 12,550
i take it back again, the best earpads are the stock earpads and I hate Focal for it.
I really respect your multiple changes of mind on this. There is a tendency in humans to have commitment and consistency bias. Once an opinion is stated, especially in writing, people hate to change it. :)

I have been enjoying the Dekoni Stellia Limited, but I like the stock pads equally, if not more. The Stellia are a little louder and warmer. The stock pads are little airier and transparent. This morning I was listening to Kind of Blues So What, and it felt a little muffled and closed on the Dekoni Stellia pads. The stock pads gave a little more clarity to the bass and little more shimmer to the cymbals. But that is a rather dark recording, so it makes sense.

Dec 11, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #11,362 of 12,550
stock pads that are at their end of life, you can wash them .........they will streach and puff up, and the soundstage will expand a lot in my experience
That's great advice. I like recycling with bonuses. Thanks for the photos. It's a big change over time. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #11,365 of 12,550
Dec 12, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #11,366 of 12,550
For the cleaning I suspect an ultrasonic bath with some natural soap might work well.
A few cycles, then some more to rinse, then a couple of days in the airing cupboard.
Slowly slowly catchy monkey..
That's a good idea. I wonder if the wave would loosen the adhesive tho.
Could use Woolite Delicates Laundry Detergent. The small bottle.
Air dry for 24 hrs should be sufficient.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #11,367 of 12,550
@Nada if you have stock pads that are at their end of life, you can wash them in warm water with some mild soap or dish washing soap, by hand, they will streach and puff up, and the soundstage will expand a lot in my experience.

Said that, if there are similar pads like this stock washed ones (see photo), ie. deeper (increased distance between ear and driver), wider (increased air volume inside the pad) and softer than fresh stock pads, they are worth a try.

11203286.jpg
11413286.jpg
Wow that’s disgusting and very very bad advertisement for Focal!! C’mon Focal clean up your act!!!

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #11,368 of 12,550

How did these pads get so ragged? From brushing, washing machine ?

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #11,369 of 12,550
That's an interesting cleaning option. Why ultrasonic cleaning?

Is there a cheap and small ultrasonic option? Like just a tiny head unit on a wire that can dipped into a washing container?
It`s a gentle process compared to something like a washing machine is the why....
Not aware of one like you describe, they are generally geared towards cleaning glasses, jewellery etc.
Should stress I haven`t tried it yet, only having one pair of pads atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back