Focal Clear headphones
Nov 12, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #11,131 of 12,651
Nov 12, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #11,132 of 12,651
Listening to these now. Now, I remember why I luv the sound of these. So great. I dunno why Focal Headphones sound so good out of Chord stuff. They match well to Chord stuff for some reason. Like for example, Clear match well to Hugo 2.

Everything sounds engaging with these. This is rare.

The only issue I had was in the past one of the driver just dies when brand new. I never had a driver die on me before this. And another issue with another Focal headphone that made rattling sound when moved. QC on Focals are questionable. I could say the same of HIfimans, but I've never had a driver die on me. Warranty is important on these, so if you are looking to get one, warranty is a must.

Never heard the MG and don't care to.

Clear's sound reputation speaks for itself. On the other hand, Focal's reliability...

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #11,134 of 12,651
If you go through the thread, alot of people prefer the sheepskin pads because theres more bass and it hits alot harder.

My opinion is that the clears sound much better with sheepskin pads than with the suede pads.
Hmmm. I'm quite skeptical to try because my experience is that pads change sound, and stock sounds ideal to me. I'm just afraid after market pads would mess up the sound. For the HE-6, I can only use one kind. So, it just tend to be one pad that has the sound I look for, and other types just are not in the zone. That is if there is a pad that tailors the sound to precisely what I'm looking for. I can't use any other pads than stock with Sennheisers. Others just sounds wrong.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #11,135 of 12,651
Hmmm. I'm quite skeptical to try because my experience is that pads change sound, and stock sounds ideal to me. I'm just afraid after market pads would mess up the sound. For the HE-6, I can only use one kind. So, it just tend to be one pad that has the sound I look for, and other types just are not in the zone. That is if there is a pad that tailors the sound to precisely what I'm looking for. I can't use any other pads than stock with Sennheisers. Others just sounds wrong.
Well you'll be missing out on the most interesting aspect of the design of the focal driver.

Theres no other headphone that hits bass like the clear, it doesn't have the most bass I've heard, nor the fastest, nor does it extend well, but with the sheepskin pads, when it hits, it hits very clean with a weight behind it thats visceral that I've not heard from anything else.

Nov 12, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #11,136 of 12,651
Well you'll be missing out on the most interesting aspect of the design of the focal driver.

Theres no other headphone that hits bass like the clear, it doesn't have the most bass I've heard, nor the fastest, nor does it extend well, but with the sheepskin pads, when it hits, it hits very clean with a weight behind it thats visceral that I've not heard from anything else.
☑️ 🎯 👍

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #11,137 of 12,651
I tried the sheepskin pads a while ago with Clear OG. The stronger bass sounded great to me for about two days, but then I realized that the bass was dramatically out of proportion with the mids and highs--the Clear now sounded cheap and boomy. I returned the Dekoni pads (bought through Amazon) and put the original pads back on the headphones..

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #11,138 of 12,651
how long do the pads last you guys?

mine after a year of occasional use are already starting to look manky and loose cushioning. If this is a $250 expense every year, then no matter how good headphones are...they are a poor investment.

Nov 13, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #11,140 of 12,651
just picked up a pair of clears, enjoying them so far except for the factory cable seems really short, maybe 4ft? is that how it came? bought them preowned.
The factory-supplied cable on the Clear OG with the 1/4" plug is about 4-6 ft long, if I recall correctly. You can tell it's the factory cable because it's black and white striped and very stiff--kinks easily.

Nov 13, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #11,142 of 12,651
Looks like it's $839 now on Headphones.com, trying to hold out to Black Friday. I have a Focal Eligia which I love so I would think the clear would be a nice open complement to it but maybe too similar. Decisions decisions.
The Clear are just a much better Elegia imo.

Nov 13, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #11,143 of 12,651
I have a Focal Eligia which I love so I would think the clear would be a nice open complement to it but maybe too similar. Decisions decisions.
There is no comparison between the Elegia and the Clears.

Nov 13, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #11,144 of 12,651
If this is a $250 expense every year, then no matter how good headphones are...they are a poor investment.
They're $79.99 at Headphones.com

I've said this before, but I treat pads like tires on a car - they're perishable, therefore they need to be replaced when required. You have several good options from Dekoni and now ZMF. OEM anything will always be more expensive.

Nov 13, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #11,145 of 12,651
They're $79.99 at Headphones.com

I've said this before, but I treat pads like tires on a car - they're perishable, therefore they need to be replaced when required. You have several good options from Dekoni and now ZMF. OEM anything will always be more expensive.
Good analogy.

Either you can go back to the dealer and get the overpriced dealer OEM replacement or get yourself some nice Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back