Focal Clear headphones
Nov 10, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #11,116 of 12,550
• Far from being ‘adamant’, CST’s position is reasonable - with a dash of sarcasm for illustrative purpose. CST is not defending the price of Focal / Dekoni pads per se but is suggesting that Focal / Dekoni pricing has cost recovery + profit as a goal.
• No corporate or entrepreneurial product undertaking is commenced with ‘breakeven’ as the upside. If a prospective buyer feels that the pricing / profit is ‘obscene’ - a reaction based upon expectations which have not been specified - the buyer is free to look elsewhere. If enough do so, the pricing / profit may come down to ‘clear the market’.
Wait, you mean the basic tenets of Economics 101 apply to all forms of retail?

Pishaw! Faff! Piffle! Pure flummery!

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #11,117 of 12,550
Wait, you mean the basic tenets of Economics 101 apply to all forms of retail?***

Pishaw! Faff! Piffle! Pure flummery! ^^
*** Except Elrog pricing….😜🤣🤣 ^^ (you left out ‘pox on thee’…)

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #11,118 of 12,550
Nov 11, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #11,120 of 12,550
I do believe that Focal earpads are too expensive. That, plus the availability of better sonics, greater ease of cleaning, better appearance, more comfort have led me to ‘aftermarket’ earpads - in this case, Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin. These, for me, were the optimum solution to the problem: replace Focal earpads. No sturm und drang, no ‘fear and loathing’, no ‘rage against the machine’.

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #11,121 of 12,550
You two also don't live in Canada. We get gouged massively on anything purchased and shipped into this shithole country. I am sure you would think differently if you were paying 50-60% more for everything you were buying. Go ahead and defend obscene prices for pads all you want.
Welcome to Australia too.

What's the alternative pads without changing the sound?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #11,122 of 12,550
You two also don't live in Canada. We get gouged massively on anything purchased and shipped into this shithole country. I am sure you would think differently if you were paying 50-60% more for everything you were buying. Go ahead and defend obscene prices for pads all you want.
same here in england. you can blame exchange rate differences all you want but dekoni won’t be reducing their prices to £55 when the pound gets stronger.

no one was suggesting these companies should price to break even. that’s stupid. they should price to make a profit. likewise, as consumers we should also point out when that pricing has become so ludicrous to amount to nothing more ‘see how much we can get away with.’ alternatively we can stay silent and not buy but that’s not as effective as voicing your opinion.

i am not sure if there are any pc gamers here but look how the consumer backlash against nvidia’s rtx 4080 has gotten them to rethink their launch and probably price much lower when it does eventually release.

Nov 11, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #11,123 of 12,550
• Far from being ‘adamant’, CST’s position is reasonable - with a dash of sarcasm for illustrative purpose. CST is not defending the price of Focal / Dekoni pads per se but is suggesting that Focal / Dekoni pricing has cost recovery + profit as a goal.
• No corporate or entrepreneurial product undertaking is commenced with ‘breakeven’ as the upside. If a prospective buyer feels that the pricing / profit is ‘obscene’ - a reaction based upon expectations which have not been specified - the buyer is free to look elsewhere. If enough do so, the pricing / profit may come down to ‘clear the market’.
Ear Pads Profits = Unnecessary Gouging

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #11,124 of 12,550
I do believe that Focal earpads are too expensive. That, plus the availability of better sonics, greater ease of cleaning, better appearance, more comfort have led me to ‘aftermarket’ earpads - in this case, Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin. These, for me, were the optimum solution to the problem: replace Focal earpads. No sturm und drang, no ‘fear and loathing’, no ‘rage against the machine’.
Have you tried the Utopia pads with your Clear?

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #11,125 of 12,550
Nov 11, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #11,126 of 12,550
I have not.
I have (with my Clear MG).

They improve the bass and help to tighten them up a bit. They do not turn them into Utopias.

If you can find them at a good deal, go for it. If you want the same performance for a bit less money, the Delkoni Fenestrated Hybrid pads (used to be Limited Editions) are about 95% of them at 2/3 the price.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #11,127 of 12,550
I have (with my Clear MG).

They improve the bass and help to tighten them up a bit. They do not turn them into Utopias.

If you can find them at a good deal, go for it. I'd you want the same performance for a bit less money, the Delkoni Fenestrated Hybrid pads (used to be Limited Editions) are about 95% of them at 2/3 the price.
To turn them into Utopias you need some black paint and a little red :relieved:

Nov 11, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #11,128 of 12,550
Nov 11, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #11,129 of 12,550
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #11,130 of 12,550

Users who are viewing this thread

Back