Focal Clear headphones
Sep 11, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #10,936 of 12,543
Unfortunately, I didn't see anything that revealed how the logo badge is attached. My guess is that it's a peg or rivet that's not accessible without opening the cup.
Thank you for the reply. I imagined that to get access you'll need to open everything up. So I sent them back and got new ones without any problems. Cheers.

Sep 12, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #10,937 of 12,543
An excellent matching of gear! What cables for Clear?
Stock Focal 6.35mm cables, haven't pushed into exploring alternatives. Any you would recommend?

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #10,939 of 12,543
depends if you're a objectivist vs subjectist :D

do you believe in science or religion? :D
I'm fairly open minded. I like to try things and make my mind up based on personal experience. I have not experimented with cables at all in my head-fi journey so far, so don't yet have an opinion.
The science seems clear on cables, they don't make a difference to the sound. Since I don't have experience, this is my working hypothesis.
If they were £20 or £50, I'd experiment; but for the prices generally being charged, I think there are better ways to spend the money. I can see the ergonomic and aesthetic benefits, but again not at the prices being charged. Which is why I generally stick to stock cables.

All this being said, once I win the lottery, and I have all the best gear, I will have no problem upgrading the cables. It's a hobby and if I had the money I would spend on the best, for the pleasure of the experience. I'm guessing this is where some head-fiers / audiophiles are, they can afford to spend so they do. I have no issue with that whatsoever.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #10,940 of 12,543
Stock Focal 6.35mm cables, haven't pushed into exploring alternatives. Any you would recommend?
Norne Audio Vygarde or Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid. Both are copper / silver interwoven (not plated) cables and are excellent in balance, clarity, dynamics.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #10,942 of 12,543
Norne Audio Vygarde or Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid. Both are copper / silver interwoven (not plated) cables and are excellent in balance, clarity, dynamics.
thanks for the recommendations - the prices aren't astronomical so that's good.

Sep 12, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #10,943 of 12,543
I'm fairly open minded. I like to try things and make my mind up based on personal experience. I have not experimented with cables at all in my head-fi journey so far, so don't yet have an opinion.
The science seems clear on cables, they don't make a difference to the sound. Since I don't have experience, this is my working hypothesis.
If they were £20 or £50, I'd experiment; but for the prices generally being charged, I think there are better ways to spend the money. I can see the ergonomic and aesthetic benefits, but again not at the prices being charged. Which is why I generally stick to stock cables.

All this being said, once I win the lottery, and I have all the best gear, I will have no problem upgrading the cables. It's a hobby and if I had the money I would spend on the best, for the pleasure of the experience. I'm guessing this is where some head-fiers / audiophiles are, they can afford to spend so they do. I have no issue with that whatsoever.

ergonomics is a thing more than you think......ESPECIALLY with the Focal cable. The rectangular form of the cable and snaking actually makes the Focal cable QUITE unyieldy (especially the longer ones). There are plenty of after market cables right around that price range you listed that are great, don't kink, have no microphonics, and are light

Sep 12, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #10,944 of 12,543
ergonomics is a thing more than you think......ESPECIALLY with the Focal cable. The rectangular form of the cable and snaking actually makes the Focal cable QUITE unyieldy (especially the longer ones). There are plenty of after market cables right around that price range you listed that are great, don't kink, have no microphonics, and are light
Thanks, agree the Focal cables are not the best, ergonomics wise. I tolerate them but I'll have a look at cheap alternatives.

Sep 12, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #10,945 of 12,543

When you have a chance test out a nice higher end cable. Dont take anyone's opinion, test it out and formulate one for yourself.

Unfortunately, alot of the prices out there are ridiculous and I really wish they didn't make a difference but it is what it is. Denial is not just a river in Egypt :).

I have the moon audio silver dragon and wywires platinum cable as well as some various other cheaper cables from aliexpress. The differences between them all are pretty drastic. The clears sound best with the wywires cable, not bad with the silver dragon either but both are leagues beyond the stock cables. Aliexpress cables were better than stock but you get what you pay for, doesn't come close to the silver dragon or wywires.

I'd like to try those norne cables that jonathan c has to compare.

Sep 12, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #10,946 of 12,543
"trust your ears" is one thing you'll often in audiophile circles.

How can I trust something that's not a perfect testing tool where results can vary depending if I have ear wax at the time of testing?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #10,948 of 12,543
Hello mate
I want update my headphone
In the last 2 years i try hd600/620 and 650 , sundara and ananda
But not find the perfect match
I want a open sound , Great voice and soundstage .. i like trebble but not fatigue
I dont want invasive bass
The budget for headphone is around 1000 euro , used is better
I have thinking about
Zmf aeolus used
Focal mg clear
Hd800s
And need one dac/amp to connect headphone ti my iphone 12 pro (500/600 euro budget )
IFI idsd signature
Mojo 2
Other ?
Thx a lot

Sep 13, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #10,950 of 12,543
I want a open sound , Great voice and soundstage .. i like trebble but not fatigue
I dont want invasive bass
Sounds like HD800S to me, Clears will give you smaller soundstage, harder hitting bass, anemic treble, and less details.
Mojo 2, not sure it's a good match for full size phones, more like IEMs and portables source.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back