Focal Clear headphones
Jul 6, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #10,711 of 12,550
Didn't you just list a bunch of issues people had, including your own?
Yes, occasional issues. These complaints have been relatively rare.

Show me any consumer product that has zero complaints, please? Also, find a headphone model comparable in price to Focal Clear that has zero complaints in its Head-Fi forum posts.

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #10,712 of 12,550
I think the problem is not as prominent with the clear vs the elex because the voice coil wire is slightly thicker in the clear.

It can probably tolerate a little more in terms of increased resistance and hotspots.

Someone also posted an issue with the oxidation spots killing the bass or causing distortion. While its normal for copper to oxidize somewhat, especially with the open design of the clear and elex, it's not normal to have a concentrated oxidation spot on the voice coil.

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #10,713 of 12,550
I have owned Clear (OG) for almost five years: no clipping, no drivers going out, no rattling or squeaking: just 🎼. I sidestepped the pad/grime issue by using Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin earpads since headphone acquisition. The Clear OG is one of my headphone mainstays: always in the listening rotation.CBBE4DAC-01AE-40BF-B118-F86DE4E2820A.jpeg6B8E0A12-DC5B-45ED-B99B-28E3F5A9B028.jpeg

Yep...same with Clear Pro OG! :)

Jul 6, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #10,714 of 12,550
Yes, occasional issues. These complaints have been relatively rare.

Show me any consumer product that has zero complaints, please? Also, find a headphone model comparable in price to Focal Clear that has zero complaints in its Head-Fi forum posts.
As we do not have access to full stats of failure rate, even occasional posts on head-fi could serve as an indication of potential QC issues.
Same as for instance issue with stuck drivers in Hifiman HE6SE.
And if you look at models like Sennheiser HD800/HD800S, Beyerdynamic T1, may be even Audeze LCD-X, you won't find that many, even that there always will be at least some as you noted.

Jul 6, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #10,715 of 12,550
As we do not have access to full stats of failure rate, even occasional posts on head-fi could serve as an indication of potential QC issues.
Same as for instance issue with stuck drivers in Hifiman HE6SE.
And if you look at models like Sennheiser HD800/HD800S, Beyerdynamic T1, may be even Audeze LCD-X, you won't find that many, even that there always will be at least some as you noted.
You can't have it both ways. You can't say that "even occasional posts" about Clears "could indicate potential quality control issues" while apparently giving a "pass" to other models that also have had such issues noted now and then. Without having "full stats," there is no basis for raising a red flag about Clears based on Head-Fi posts.

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #10,717 of 12,550
You can't have it both ways. You can't say that "even occasional posts" about Clears "could indicate potential quality control issues" while apparently giving a "pass" to other models that also have had such issues noted now and then. Without having "full stats," there is no basis for raising a red flag about Clears based on Head-Fi posts.
I am not giving pass to anything, there is quantitative difference on the number of reported issues per user base.
How many faulted out of the box or after short usage HD800 you have heard of?
You have got defective Clears yourself, yet defend brand with your life. Why such loyalty, is it the only pair of $1K+ phones you own?
It's totally fine to enjoy phones and be honest about quality issues at the same time.
I consider HE6SE the best all rounders you can get under $2K, eclipsing Clears in all possible ways, but there are quality issues, like occasional stuck to magnet membrane. Am I affected, no, but I recognize this as an issue even if it affects only small portion of HE6SE users.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #10,718 of 12,550
I am not giving pass to anything, there is quantitative difference on the number of reported issues per user base.
How many faulted out of the box or after short usage HD800 you have heard of?
You have got defective Clears yourself, yet defend brand with your life. Why such loyalty, is it the only pair of $1K+ phones you own?
It's totally fine to enjoy phones and be honest about quality issues at the same time.
I consider HE6SE the best all rounders you can get under $2K, eclipsing Clears in all possible ways, but there are quality issues, like occasional stuck to magnet membrane. Am I affected, no, but I recognize this as an issue even if it affects only small portion of HE6SE users.
What are the numbers between each brand? Do you have the quantitative data or are you going off your perception.

Jul 6, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #10,719 of 12,550
This interesting, let me share my oppinion.

Imo the issue become irrelevant with good aftersales, i myself sometimes feels wow with aftersales focal in usa and europe after i read how they handle problem in this thread alone, in asia especially in my country they are kindda sucks, in short you guys in europe and usa can considered lucky, especially focal usa which i think somehow do so good with aftersales, in here authorized dealer has no return, no refund, no exchanged policy.

Also as basic example in here, all focal in my country only comes up with 1 year warranty even with utopia, their market here getting eaten by other manufacturer that offer product and service more fair aftersales policy, fair and square in the same price range off course, but it seemed focal doesnot care.

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #10,720 of 12,550
Nice, I tried a few but ended up using the wywires platinum with my clear.
I have a Wywires Red Headphone Cable that sounds great with the Focal Clears as well. May upgrade to the Platinum soon. Alex at Wywires has some nice anniversary pricing on his cables currently.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #10,722 of 12,550
When it comes to driving Focal Clear, Linear Tube Audio MZ3 is it…Raytheon 6SN7s + RFT ECC81s (foil getter)…🎼☁️🎵☁️
11863085-B9CC-4C22-86D3-453ADCD3FFF4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back