Focal Clear headphones
May 1, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #10,531 of 12,550
Thanks, how does it affects the sound compared to stock pads ?

Thanks, yep I saw that while I was browsing quickly the thread (702 pages :sweat_smile:), but it seems to change the frequency response quite a lot no ?
Its about the same effect as the dekoni sheepskin pads, but maybe sounds a little more open with a bit more stage.

I have the dekoni sheepskin also, they came with the headphones but wanted something softer because they are pretty stiff and press on my jawline which gets irritating after a while.

The vesper pads are super soft and a little thicker than the dekoni but compress more so its about the same depth once I put them on. Plus they have a larger circumference which make it more comfortable for me since i have large ears and help to disperse the compression.

For $13, you can use whatever you want. While the focal pads options are really nice, ie the Stellia pads. But $280 for earpads is bit ridiculous. The vesper audio pads I got are made of some kind of super soft, silky leather that you find on expensive couches and that cost me $50.

I haven't tried the Stellia pads on the Clear, I could be wrong but I doubt they would offer much sonic improvement if any.

IMG_20220501_131845.jpg

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #10,532 of 12,550
Thanks, how does it affects the sound compared to stock pads ?

Thanks, yep I saw that while I was browsing quickly the thread (702 pages :sweat_smile:), but it seems to change the frequency response quite a lot no ?
I bought a set of Dekoni pads for my clears that had been recommended by, I think, a Headphones.com YouTube reviewer. They did increase the bass volume levek to the point that the headphones sounded tubby; I returned them quickly!

May 1, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #10,534 of 12,550
Standard Dekoni or Stellia with fabric ring like OEM pads?
headphones.com recommendation was the Velours + eq, I believe. Mainly for comfort. I sure hope it wasn't the Stellia!

May 1, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #10,536 of 12,550
I bought a set of Dekoni pads for my clears that had been recommended by, I think, a Headphones.com YouTube reviewer. They did increase the bass volume levek to the point that the headphones sounded tubby; I returned them quickly!
Well, I can see by your profile pic that you are not a fan of bass. To each their own, but some of us like bass.

Which earpad did you buy because I would not describe the sheepskin pads as causing tubby bass.

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #10,537 of 12,550
Which earpad did you buy because I would not describe the sheepskin pads as causing tubby bass.
Agreed. Especially via-a-vis the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin!

May 2, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #10,538 of 12,550
Agreed. Especially via-a-vis the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin!
I use Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin for Clear MG and find it well balanced across the frequencies.

May 2, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #10,539 of 12,550
I have written about the sound of the Stellia Ltd pad on this thread. Search for post from me with the key word stellia and you'll find it all.

May 2, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #10,540 of 12,550
@surfgeorge I saw in some of your posts that there's downsides with the use of Dekoni Stellia pads like mids recessed and peaks in high frequencies, not sure i'll appreciate that.

I have now been listening more to the Dekoni pads and have to say I like the Sheepskin Limited Stellia quite a bit.
It looks good, feels bit cooler with a smaller contact area and I expect that cleaning will no longer be an issue...
Soundwise it's really punchy and boosts the bass noticably. There's some spicyness in the upper frequencies which seems to increase the percaption of clarity.
It also changes the soundstage perception with better separation, more clearly defined elements. But I am not sure if there are not some reflexions in the pads that mess a little with the stage as well. One other clear difference is a significantly pronounced sub-bass.

However, this does not come without downsides.
Vocals are a little recessed compared to the original pads, which sound overall much smoother and clearly brighter.
There's some wonkiness in the mids with the Ltd pads that messes especially with vocals, making them at times sound a little nasal or muffled.
It's not huge, but the original pads are clearly more even.
Running a frequency sweep and comparing to the original pads, I hear a wide elevation at about 300-900...1000Hz, a noticable 2,8kHz bump a moderate peak at 6, maybe slightly more at 8 and lots of energy at 10, 12 and above kHz
The original pads sound perfectly linear to me below 1kHz, with a the emphasis at around 2,7kHz is smaller or the ramp is more gradual, but the peaks above actually seem a little hotter with the original pads, especially the 6kHz.

I'll keep the Ltd pads on, they add some new flavor to the Clears and I enjoy exploring my library and detecting new qualities. Maybe in the future I'll go back to the originals, and will enjoy their different presentation for a change.

Screenshot 2022-01-28 095938.png

May 2, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #10,541 of 12,550
Well, I can see by your profile pic that you are not a fan of bass. To each their own, but some of us like bass.

I bought the Elite Velour pads. Despite my profile, I am a fan of decent, tight bass (and I like pipe organ recordings!). But these pads brought muddy, unclear bass that was not actually more extended than what I get with the stock pads.

May 2, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #10,542 of 12,550
I bought the Elite Velour pads. Despite my profile, I am a fan of decent, tight bass (and I like pipe organ recordings!). But these pads brought muddy, unclear bass that was not actually more extended than what I get with the stock pads.
I think the general consensus is that the sheepskin or fenestrated sheepskin are the way to go for improved bass response. Although I will admit it did lose a little bit in the treble but also made it less bright.

May 2, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #10,543 of 12,550
@surfgeorge I saw in some of your posts that there's downsides with the use of Dekoni Stellia pads like mids recessed and peaks in high frequencies, not sure i'll appreciate that.
It works better on retuned MG with rolled off treble which makes them sound a bit muddy. OG have plenty of energy there stock.

May 3, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #10,545 of 12,550
Anyone familiar with Focal headphone drivers getting partially damaged? I know sometimes that tiny voice coil wire gets detached and there might be a dark burn mark spot on the voice coil. In my case it's a bit different. Voice coil wire is attached but the voice coil itself has burn damage. Headphones still work and sound excellent except for two problems.
1) No subbass
2) Rattle when headphones struggle to produce bass.

I have had this issue with one Clear Pro and Elex.

Here is the Elex voice coil.
IMG_20211110_215047.jpg

Here is clear Pro. It seems heat turned outside of the voice coil grey. It should not be like that, right?
IMG_20220502_223327.jpg

Inner side of the voice coil is still copper color.
IMG_20220502_223340.jpg

Here is measured frequency response of good Clear and broken clear Pro and Elex.
Clearit.jpg

I bought both headphones used so I don't know their history. Anyone want to guess what could have caused this? Even better, any idea how it could be fixed?

Makes me wonder how many people are actually listening their focals with burnt coils and blaming clipping for the rattle and think focals are really tuned to have no subbass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back