Focal Clear headphones
Jan 22, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #10,306 of 12,550
Not only in cables, but also in earpads, for the Clear. For example, Norne Audio Vykari cables / Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin earpads:
9B21FB6A-E141-4CF0-9CF1-E57215CF8558.jpeg

Jan 22, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #10,308 of 12,550
IMHO --> Focal headphones are an investment. You're unlikely to "gain" from Hart Audio over the Focal Cables. I've used Hart Audio and am not suggesting anything wrong/bad... just don't find them to be better than average ... and really not a true upgrade to the stock Focal cables.
That's because there is no such thing as "upgrade a cable" in terms of sound.

However, the stock cable is fairly stiff and annoyingly microphonic to boot (at least the short one from my Pro). These are definitely qualities you can improve upon.

Jan 22, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #10,309 of 12,550
Yeah…upgrading cables in order to achieve better sound quality is all the rave here on Head-Case.
Seems like fishing for sharks in the Sahara - a fruitless and futile venture if you ask me.
There are most definitely different opinions on this topic. I’d recommend not dismissing others’ point of view completely on this topic.

The head-fi tent is large and has room for all of us “head-cases”. 👍

Jan 22, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #10,310 of 12,550
There are most definitely different opinions on this topic. I’d recommend not dismissing others’ point of view completely on this topic.

The head-fi tent is large and has room for all of us “head-cases”. 👍
Well said.

Every time threads start this topic, my inner monologue starts yelling, “head over to the sound science sub forums!”

Jan 22, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #10,311 of 12,550
That's because there is no such thing as "upgrade a cable" in terms of sound.

However, the stock cable is fairly stiff and annoyingly microphonic to boot (at least the short one from my Pro). These are definitely qualities you can improve upon.

Respectfully and IMHO I find your post to be inaccurate. In using Audio Envy Tonekraft with my headphones...I trust my ears. I won't belabor this point and distract from thread / flow.

Separately, a definition of "upgrade" --> raise (something) to a higher standard, in particular improve (equipment or machinery) by adding or replacing components

Your pronouncing there is "no such thing as upgrade" and then stating "you can improve" is at best nebulous :thinking:

Jan 22, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #10,312 of 12,550
Respectfully and IMHO I find your post to be inaccurate. In using Audio Envy Tonekraft with my headphones...I trust my ears. I won't belabor this point and distract from thread / flow.

Separately, a definition of "upgrade" --> raise (something) to a higher standard, in particular improve (equipment or machinery) by adding or replacing components

Your pronouncing there is "no such thing as upgrade" and then stating "you can improve" is at best nebulous :thinking:
It was clear in David222's post that he was stating there was no such thing as an upgrade in sound by changing the cable, but that the stock cable was stiff and microphonic--attributes unrelated to sound quality. There is nothing nebulous about his statement, although some will disagree about whether the SQ improves with a different cable. The OG's cable is stiff--nobody would disagree about that.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #10,313 of 12,550
It was clear in David222's post that he was stating there was no such thing as an upgrade in sound by changing the cable, but that the stock cable was stiff and microphonic--attributes unrelated to sound quality. There is nothing nebulous about his statement, although some will disagree about whether the SQ improves with a different cable. The OG's cable is stiff--nobody would disagree about that.

Respectfully, just want to note that you have your usernames backwards. I (David) did not make the statement "no such thing as upgrade a cable in terms of sound"

I'm used to seeing "microphonics" in relation to tubes/amps.... not seen it in reference to Focal headphone or Focal cable before.

Separately, when I see posts that are strong assertions (such as above).... I like to read the users older posts.... to better understand their POV.... as I learn something new everyday on here.... and folks are very knowledgeable and informed on head-fi.

However, after reading a few older posts from ifalna --> I guess it's just "nebulous" to me.

• Post # 10,066 --> “listening to…lossy…152kbits". And “ears are trained…you might hear…compression artifacts.”
  • Post # 9,961 --> “psychoascoustics and anatomy”
  • Post # 9,952 --> “ears aren’t trained and also not that good.”

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #10,314 of 12,550
"Microphonics," when referring to headphone cables, refers to mechanical noises as the cable is touched or rubs against something:
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/why-does-touching-the-headphone-cable-create-noise#:~:text=The sound that is created,can occur with wired headphones.

For example, a soft, floppy cable, e.g., the standard HD-600 or Apple EarBuds cable, emits no microphonics. Whether a cable transfers the audio signal accurately to the headphones is a separate issue.
[Sorry about my error; ifalna wrote the message asserting that there was no such thing as improved sound attributable to a cable change.]

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #10,315 of 12,550
"Microphonics," when referring to headphone cables, refers to mechanical noises as the cable is touched or rubs against something:
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/why-does-touching-the-headphone-cable-create-noise#:~:text=The sound that is created,can occur with wired headphones.

For example, a soft, floppy cable, e.g., the standard HD-600 or Apple EarBuds cable, emits no microphonics. Whether a cable transfers the audio signal accurately to the headphones is a separate issue.
[Sorry about my error; ifalna wrote the message asserting that there was no such thing as improved sound attributable to a cable change.]

I think they make a pill for that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Let's get the train back on the track of celebrating our mutual enjoyment of Focal.

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #10,316 of 12,550
Not only in cables, but also in earpads, for the Clear. For example, Norne Audio Vykari cables / Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin earpads:9B21FB6A-E141-4CF0-9CF1-E57215CF8558.jpeg
I might have to invest in one of these for my Mg's. Aside from being beautiful, the Draug 3 I have for my Sennheiser 8XX does greatly improve (to my ears) the sound over the stock cable.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #10,317 of 12,550
IMHO --> Focal headphones are an investment. You're unlikely to "gain" from Hart Audio over the Focal Cables. I've used Hart Audio and am not suggesting anything wrong/bad... just don't find them to be better than average ... and really not a true upgrade to the stock Focal cables.

Lot of other options out there if you want to invest in upgraded cables for Focal.
Oh I got the Pro version and just wanted a 3m cable of any type that will go well with the Clears. More than happy with the coiled one and other stock cable it came with.

Jan 25, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #10,318 of 12,550
There is a german one which tested multiple Dekoni pads with the Elegia, Celestee and the Clear.

German: https://www.miniklangwunder.de/kopf...elestee-und-clear-pro-interessante-eindrucke/
English (Google-Translate): https://www-miniklangwunder-de.tran...sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=nui

I stumbled upon this link and made an impulse buy of a pair of Dekoni Limited edition Stellia pads and a pair of Dekoni Velours pads.
Tested and compared them against my old, worn Clear Pro Pads and against the second, new Clear pads.

Both the Limited and Velours pads change the character of the Clears.
First impressions are that the Limited really has more and tighter bass, overall tighter and punchier sound and somehow more focus. They sound a little more forced though. Not as speaker-like maybe.
The original Clear pads sound a little more relaxed, they also sound a little quieter, like they have higher damping. The mids are also a bit more forward with the original pads, making them sound a little brighter.
The Velour pads are somewhere in between, but maybe closer to the Dekoni Limited than the original clear pads.

These are first, quick impressions only!
What I can definitely say is that they do change the character of the Clears somewhat. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Currently listening to the limited pads to become familiar with the sound and progress in understanding them and coming to a conclusion about them.

Jan 26, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #10,319 of 12,550
Pleasantly suprised at just how fun the pairing of these and an iFI Go Blu is. Absolutely exceptional, for some reason this dongle sings with Focals (but is lackluster with my Solaris).

On both the Stellia & Clear its just superb. Well worth a look if you need bluetooth and something nice and portable

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #10,320 of 12,550
Loving Focal Clear so far
Much preferred to HD800S.
This whole soundstage in headphones idea is a bunch of crap, get speakers or spatial audio if u really want surround effect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back