Focal Clear headphones
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #10,111 of 12,543
I reviewed the Dekoni Stellia pads a while back on my Celestee and wasn't overly impressed. With the Clear OG it's a different story, the sound is a bit thicker as compared to the stock pads. The main difference is the ability to clean them easily ofc :) I can EQ the differences between the pads or just get adjusted to the slightly darker sound signature.

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #10,112 of 12,543
Your observations reflect my experience. Yes I do prefer the Utopias but the difference is not great and not observable on all music. I have a different balanced cord coming for the Clear MGs so it will be interesting to see if it improves the (already good) soundstage. I particularly dislike the heavy coiled cord that came with the Clear MGs.

And yes, the DAC is a critical link in the audio chain although, despite owning one, I would not claim an R2R configuration is essential. The LKS DA-004,. modified by Rick Schultz, sounds just as good to these ears. There is a confusing array of DACs out there to choose from but thankfully units are now emerging that produce nice, analog without any hint of the sharpness that plagued earlier efforts. That said, I have been surprised that once one gets to these levels, the quality of amplification becomes more evident. It can become a never ending chase of audio moonbeams if one is not careful but I hope I've finally thrown out the anchor and can relax to enjoy the music - what this mania is supposed to be about!!

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #10,113 of 12,543
What is the best dac for these headphones?
The RME ADI2 is on sale atm.
I feel like as good as it is it wont be an upgrade over my current meier stack setup.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #10,114 of 12,543
It can become a never ending chase of audio moonbeams if one is not careful but I hope I've finally thrown out the anchor and can relax to enjoy the music - what this mania is supposed to be about!!
😈😳…the urge to upgrade can strike any Head-Fier at any time without regard to current system or finances…😏💸

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #10,115 of 12,543
What is the best dac for these headphones?
The RME ADI2 is on sale atm.
I feel like as good as it is it wont be an upgrade over my current meier stack setup.
IMHO there is no "best" but I've no doubt there are many top units which will yield great analog from digital. One which I'm using is the LKS DA-004, now superseded so possibly available used at an enticing price. The other I've had success with (and A/B comparisons found the sound identical to the LKS) was the R2R Audio GD R8. But there is a catch to my recommendation. The feed from ROON on this up to date PC was cable fed to an Aurilac G1 Bridge and I've no doubt it removed a heap of jitter before passing on the balanced digital to the DAC. So it was no wonder the LKS and Audio-GD units sounded the same.
So, how you connect the DAC is just as important as the unit itself. I'm no fan of wireless or USB feeds for audio, but others have had success with them although the challenge, IMO, is much greater.

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #10,116 of 12,543
It can become a never ending chase of audio moonbeams if one is not careful but I hope I've finally thrown out the anchor and can relax to enjoy the music - what this mania is supposed to be about!!

😈😳…the urge to upgrade can strike any Head-Fier at any time without regard to current system or finances…😏💸

It can become drug like....I refer to this hobby as "chasing the dragon" - Always looking for that high/fix OR trying to squeeze that extra detail out of the music :fearful::fearful::fearful:

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #10,117 of 12,543
Your observations reflect my experience. Yes I do prefer the Utopias but the difference is not great and not observable on all music. I have a different balanced cord coming for the Clear MGs so it will be interesting to see if it improves the (already good) soundstage. I particularly dislike the heavy coiled cord that came with the Clear MGs.

Can't comment on Clear MG but Utopias compared to OG Clears, i found them somewhat different sounding.

Utopia is more bright, vivid and sound has forward character where as Clear Og played calmer dynamics, less sparkly. Instruments and specially vocals sound from further away in given soundstage.

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #10,118 of 12,543
Can't comment on Clear MG but Utopias compared to OG Clears, i found them somewhat different sounding.

Utopia is more bright, vivid and sound has forward character where as Clear Og played calmer dynamics, less sparkly. Instruments and specially vocals sound from further away in given soundstage.
And with a different DAC and/or amplifier, the sound would be different again. This is the hurdle the audiophilic faces and his/her sense of hearing is not always constant and can vary because of all sorts of factors like health, tiredness, alcohol or other substances. ....... I've had albums put aside because the sound was not great only to come back to them some time later to be delighted how well they play. And we do become conditioned to a sound we like but someone else can describe that sound as "too bright" or "too forward" etc etc so it goes on. It is a bit of a madhouse, but fun :xf_cool:

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #10,119 of 12,543
And with a different DAC and/or amplifier, the sound would be different again. This is the hurdle the audiophilic faces and his/her sense of hearing is not always constant and can vary because of all sorts of factors like health, tiredness, alcohol or other substances. ....... I've had albums put aside because the sound was not great only to come back to them some time later to be delighted how well they play. And we do become conditioned to a sound we like but someone else can describe that sound as "too bright" or "too forward" etc etc so it goes on. It is a bit of a madhouse, but fun :xf_cool:
Yes.. I do find that alcohol and substances produce a fantastic experience 😂
:beerchug:

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #10,120 of 12,543
It can become drug like....I refer to this hobby as "chasing the dragon" - Always looking for that high/fix OR trying to squeeze that extra detail out of the music :fearful::fearful::fearful:
…or that extra layer of reverberation, that extra foot of backstage depth, that extra little bit of THERENESS…

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #10,122 of 12,543
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #10,123 of 12,543
indianajonesholygrail.jpg copy.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back