Focal Clear headphones
Nov 6, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #10,066 of 12,651
Test your Focal headphones / pads / cable with this
These are some scary looking sound systems. :D
Keep in mind, that you are listening to a lossy codec (Opus) at a merely 152Kbits. Depending on whether your ears are trained or not, you might hear the compression artifacts.

Cool recordings though.

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #10,067 of 12,651
Using the single ended or balanced output?

Reading your post I got curious about the H16 amp. It has separate power amplifier stages for balanced and unbalanced. Usually it's just a balanced amplifier made from two inverted single ended ones.

In my experience I usually prefer my OG Clear driven at low gain. But the H16 single ended output is pretty lowish, so I guess high gain must be better for the Clear.
I'm using balanced which is probably a must for the Gustard H16 cause as you said....singled ended ain't that powerful.

Sorry, what amp are you using at low gain for your OG Clears?

I don't know what's going on under the hood of my H16 but what I do know is that on high gain, for my OG Clear Pros....it sounds objectively more dynamic and impactful. Whether or not one thinks that this sounds "better" is completely up to the person listening.

I've made it ermmm....very....Clear (sorry) which gain setting I prefer, heh...

Nov 6, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #10,068 of 12,651
I'm using balanced which is probably a must for the Gustard H16 cause as you said....singled ended ain't that powerful.

Sorry, what amp are you using at low gain for your OG Clears?

I don't know what's going on under the hood of my H16 but what I do know is that on high gain, for my OG Clear Pros....it sounds objectively more dynamic and impactful. Whether or not one thinks that this sounds "better" is completely up to the person listening.

I've made it ermmm....very....Clear (sorry) which gain setting I prefer, heh...
Yes, I felt the same about high gain on Schiit, Audio-gd, Burson, Violectric and others. Pretty consistent in my experience. Which is why I tend to use low / medium gain, for a more laid back experience. Although sometimes I do get bored and switch to high gain for a change... ah... vicious circle that is this curse... I mean... this hobby... :L3000:

There is something strange that has happened to me in the last couple of weeks, switched from Clear to Denon AH-D2000 with AutoEQ InnerFidelity B2012 PEQ running on EQ APO, PEACE, and still haven't had any urge to switch back. Guess sometimes we need a break, even from totl gear, as long as it's something good sounding and interesting. Same with gains I guess. :)

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #10,069 of 12,651
Anyone have recommendations for any good balanced cables just under $100?

These Meze 99 OFC balanced cables unfortunately are just getting too annoying. Someone else mentioned they fit just fine, but it's seriously anything but in my experience. They barely are hanging in, almost feels like a very weak magnetic connection, and just turning my head completely cuts off the sound. They fall out and I gotta put them back in if I dare try to move around much. Even the wind blowing hard enough can knock the connection loose. I really need cables specifically made for the Clears that fit completely all the way in there, not these tiny cable ends that just poke the hole but don't cover the whole the whole area of the cable plug.

It sucks having to be conscious of not moving my head much just to ensure the connection doesn't come loose. So disappointed :/
The new Apos Flow cables are another option that are pretty good for their price. I use them on my clears and I love them.

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #10,070 of 12,651
I see some other feedback on your question re: Singxer. If additionally useful, I've paired the Clears with the following:

Burson 3XP
RME ADI 2 (built-in Amp)
Hagerman Tuba
RNHP
Zen Can

All were fun, my $0.02 --> the Tuba pairs best with Clear (OG). Hands down. If you're willing to experiment with tubes...the Clears will reward you greatly.

Also, suggest being mindful with your DAC with the Clears...anything hyper-analytical (like an RME-ADI 2 or D90), or ESS chip based, could potentially be an issue depending on your sound/texture preferences. Point being, the Clears are well balanced, but extremely detailed on their own, so you may benefit from considering a softer/musical upstream component in your chain.
Tubes are the ticket for sure. I absolutely agree with your dac observations as well.

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #10,071 of 12,651
Hi guys,

I have a Gustard X16/H16 stack which I purchased roughly 6 months ago. I also have an OG Focal Clear Pro which I've had for just over 1 year.

For all the time that I've used my X16/H16 stack with my Clear....I've had my H16 amp on mid gain which has always sounded great since day one.

Out of sheer curiosity, I recently tried the H16's high gain setting with my Clears and.....well, ermmmm....it sounds A LOT better. I mean....we're talking almost a night and day difference here. The dynamics are absolutely insane. I seemingly hear more spacial information, giving the impression of a wider soundstage and improved imaging. The bass....THE BASS :astonished: So much more fuller sounding and punchier. Can hear more sub bass down to 30 or 20hz now.

I tried my best to volume match mid and high gain settings to make the comparison relatively fair and my conclusion appears to be that.....there is no comparison. My Clear Pros now sound ALIVE in high gain on the H16 and I've never heard this degree of clarity and dynamics. :thinking:

I was always hesitant before to use higher gain settings on the H16, my old Fiio K5 Pro or basically any amp because of the research I did here on Head-Fi and other outlets. I had good reason to believe this too cause, for a practical exercise, when I tried using my K5 Pro on high gain with my Phillips Fidelio X2HR headphones...imho it sounded objectively worse cause I heard distortion. Clear Pro + High Gain on H16....couldn't hear any audible distortion...just gorgeous, full range audio.

I'm guessing the Focal Clear Pros just like more juice to make it sound closer to it's full potential? 🤷‍♂️ I dunno....I'm still a noob at this bloody hobby lol maybe someone else has answers, heh
I was hesitant as well running the Clears on high gain(modded Mjolnir 2) as well due to how sensitive they are. Took some advice from a friend and just like you , was WOWED by the difference lol. Surprisingly, the Clear OG and MG love the current.

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #10,073 of 12,651
Looking forward to hear some thoughts from the folks who took the plunge with the Dekoni Limited Stellia pads and Fenestrated sheepskin pads.
Well, you know that I have been a longtime user of the Dekoni f/s pads in the Clear. Still love them, still highly recommend them. AND THEY ARE SO EASY TO CLEAN!
17B5E654-F895-4C58-8321-1C5E27D05BB7.jpeg

Nov 6, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #10,075 of 12,651
The photograph above was that of the Clear at rest. (We know how the French insist on their time off…). In this one, au travail…
27662D8F-AAE7-4EFD-AE8B-3B1D1AFE8911.jpeg

Nov 6, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #10,077 of 12,651
Nov 7, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #10,079 of 12,651
Nov 7, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #10,080 of 12,651
I was hesitant as well running the Clears on high gain(modded Mjolnir 2) as well due to how sensitive they are. Took some advice from a friend and just like you , was WOWED by the difference lol. Surprisingly, the Clear OG and MG love the current.
Mate, if I remember correctly...it was YOU that inspired me to try high gain on my H16 amp. I remember reading one of your earlier posts in this thread mentioning how you use high gain on your amp and I was like "what!!"? Hmmmmmm...lemme try something similar! :thinking:

Since then...I haven't looked back lol so just wanted to thank you for this buddy! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back