Focal Clear headphones
Oct 8, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #9,976 of 12,550
Having tried way too many blindtests I perfectly understand what you’re saying. I wish people could try..at least just once. It is a very humbling experience.
I too used to be over on the other side of the fence slinging my money down a black hole and heard differences between amps and dacs like there was no tomorrow..but it was always sighted testing…and I had no idea how to volume match properly..so I effectively ended up testing different volume levels…like most other amp “tests”.
Regarding blindtests and Focals; it is actually feasible if you can find the same pads for two headphones (in the same condition mind you)..and well we were 5 guys that could not discern between the Elear, Elex and Clear. I imagine the same result if we’d included the Utopia.

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #9,977 of 12,550
Though it's typically used in reference to THD and other distortion products, the masking effects of the human ear still apply to anything unwanted the driver may do.
Keep in mind: you would not only have to actually hear the unwanted signals of the driver, you'd have to be able to make out the difference in behavior between two arguably very high quality drivers, which would be orders of magnitudes smaller.

Realistically: the only way you could hear any difference at all would be if one driver had an audible amount of distortion and the other does not. I don't believe that the Clear's driver is so low quality that the THD, IMD etc. are audible at normal listening volumes.
The quality of a driver, while important, has nothing to do with the fact that different materials react in a different way. Let's say, for the sake of argument, we would create a driver identical to the Clear's, except the membrane is made of plastic (like a lot of other headphones). We EQ'd them to the exact same frequency response. Do you really think that this plastic membrane, which has a different weight, will be able to reproduce the exact same notes with the same rigidity? Or are you saying that those changes would be so small that you wouldn't be able to hear the difference? I personally don't think that's the case, and while you did bring up some arguments, I would consider them equal to mine currently. If you're trying to make a point, you need solid sources to back it up, and I'd like to see said sources. Again, I'm basing my statements on what little I know about materials and such, but I'm willing to change my opinion and educate myself if that's true.

Yup, though keep in mind that most of these mod changes are reflected in the frequency response of the headphone, which is what we humans are most sensitive to.

Regarding the "intangibles" I agree that these are tough nuts to crack right now. I believe research is still ongoing in that aspect? I've seen threads discussing them over at ASR but there doesn't seem to be any easily found consensus. Some say that it has to do with timing alignment of the two drivers, which sounds plausible, considering you want to present both ears a coherent signal, so brain processing can do the rest.
Yes, and yet those changes can affect the frequency response in such a way that our current EQs cannot replicate it without adding too much distortion. They are an important part of tuning to take into account. The Clear's and the Utopia's design, while similar in shape, is still different enough that I could consider that some parts of it are affecting the way they sound.

Yes, the "intangibles" are quite hard to quantify, if we were able to then that could've solved this whole situation quite easily.
Personally I am not overly sensitive to "soundstage" and "imaging" when it comes to headphones. I mean I can hear whether things are right, left, center or sometimes, in good recordings even between these extremes but I've never experienced this "holographic soundstage" some people describe. Speakers on the other hand ... oof.. what a world of difference. Sometimes you feel as if the singer/Instrument is standing right in front of you inside your room. Awesome.

I've never gotten the "detail" and "resolution" arguments. What I found in personal listening is that:
a) volume matching is extremely important when discussing detail. A 3dB difference can make me hear the piano's pedal or not hear it.
b) in response to a) so can a 3dB difference in frequency response make certain things easier to hear or harder to hear.
Speakers are obviously way better in this domain, but soundstage is something that changes between headphones. Again, we cannot quantify it, so that makes it hard for both of us to defend our points since it really comes down to subjective preferences and could be attributed to our hearing or placebo. I can hear differences in soundstage, I personally think that this is also related to QC, but there's clearly some design choices being involved here too. Focal headphones are all tuned to have this intimate soundstage, they're all similar and on this point I'll have to agree with you. I cannot link it to anything in particular.
I've never gotten the "detail" and "resolution" arguments. What I found in personal listening is that:
a) volume matching is extremely important when discussing detail. A 3dB difference can make me hear the piano's pedal or not hear it.
b) in response to a) so can a 3dB difference in frequency response make certain things easier to hear or harder to hear.

Frankly put: while revealing cans make things more obviously heard even when not paying attention that closely (oftentimes they achieve that by boosting higher frequencies), I have never heard any detail on my Clear that my DT-880 could not render when I
a) volume match. More difficult than some would imagine, given the rather large difference in impedance to the clear. Basically impossible w/o measurements.
b) actually pay attention to the music to try to find the detail
a) Obviously, volume matching is really important. Focal headphones can still be matched though.
b) That's also true.

a) See above.
b) Here's the thing though, it's not about being able to hear said details, once I've heard something with my MG or my Elex, I can hear it too with my XM3 as long as I concentrate enough. But the thing is that the MG/Elex will let me know immediately, the details will jump to my ears. The XM3 won't. My music playlist isn't really huge, and I have a tendency of listening to the same songs over and over again. When EQed to the Harman target, which is something I always do to have a comparaison point, the Elex clearly brought up more artifacts on badly recorded songs, while the MG clearly brought up more in the bass. Yes, the frequency response is usually the one doing the heavy lifting, but even when EQed to the same target, I believe the drivers materials are also playing a role here. Really unless your driver is utter garbage, they should all be able to reproduce most details. The quality, the materials used and the frequency response will all play a role in how easy it is to hear said details using another pair.
Head-Fi is a very peculiar place. When people who actually know a little of what they’re talking about..say something that pokes holes in the fabric of this grand and shimmery placebo universe…well they are met by folks who get a little snippy and juvenile..preferably sticking to their guns whilst somehow belittling the messenger of “wacky news”.
It’s a little funny how extremely interesting the science of sound is when it comes from manufacturers…yet when it is directed at the carbon based critter actually listening to the gear?
I think I get it though…we gladly accept the fact that we’re getting much better producing transparent gear - stuff like amps, dacs and headphones..which is provable from a scientific standpoint…but human beings have not been upgraded for a very long time. Most of the gear has for decades exceeded our hearing capabilities. We all have our limits…yet 99% of the peeps inhabiting this hobby know next to nothing about the human limits…but can rattle off nonsensical specs from the first 100 amps and headphones they’ve auditioned.
I'm not really sure what's the purpose of this comment. You're bringing nothing to the discussion we're having, you're making a generalization of this community as if anyone who disagree with you is clueless. Of course everyone will stand their position, as long as they are open to change their opinion then this is what matters. Personnally this is a interesting point that was brought up, and it's making me question things that I previously didn't, it's great. You should maybe do it too, 'cause currently this subject has no scientific answer, or at least it hasn't been provided yet. Audio is a really complex subject, and at the end of the day there's so many factors to take into account that placebo will always be a thing. Heck, in my case even mood changes the way I hear my music. However, attributing every single thing to placebo, with nothing concrete to back it up, means that you don't really know as much as you may think.
Well it's understandable.
a) they invest a lot in the hobby. And I mean A LOT. Not just money but also time.
b) they actually hear differences. That is the crux of the whole issue. If you let me test 2 amplifiers sighted, even when I know their measurements are identical I will be able to hear differences. It's just the way the human brain works. One is prettier, the other is more expensive, so it has to do something better etc. These processes run in our subconscious but they can affect our perception really strongly.
c) they love their systems because they get a lot of joy from them.

When you actually hear differences and have invested a lot into a thing you love, possibly to a degree that a little voice inside you tells you that you maybe overdid it, it's naturally to get a wee bit defensive when some random schmuck like me comes along and counterpoints your perceptions. :D

Keep in mind, my entire argument was pretty much academic in nature. It's not really possible to EQ cans to that degree and also not feasible for the average consumer. Though I think it still is a valid point that a 1.5K headphone can be EQ'd to sound VERY similar to a 4K headphone, to the point that a new buyer might not see the remaining difference being worth the price gap.

I think a really interesting philosophical question would be: if the perceived differences are only psychological in nature, are they still valid as differences?
If these "pseudo differences" can enhance people's enjoyment of their gear and their music, are they able to justify the expense?

As much as I love science and being economical, the bottom line is that we listen to this gear for fun with our ears. Not with an Audioprecision analyzer. So in the end, what does the audiophile care if there are differences or not. He hears them, he likes them, to him it's worth his disposable income.
I kept my Clear too, despite my EQ'd DT-880 sounding waaay more similar than I would like to admit because I still enjoy the Clear for what it is.
Even if it's weight is murder on my neck.
I agree with the conclusion. I personally can't hear any differences between amps, cables and DACs, unless they're really utter garbage. And yet I can hear the differences between a Elex and a Clear MG, even when EQ'ed similarly. The driver doesn't respond the same way, and it makes sense since materials have different properties, with weight and rigidity being important ones to take into account. The Clear can sound very similar to the Utopia, it's not a 2.5K upgrade, but even if we EQ'ed them to the exact same frequency response, using the same pads and volume matching and such, the slight differences in housing combined with the different driver materials can't make them sound 100% identical, that's just physics and yes, I'll argue that this is audible on such a precise scale and with such high-quality drivers. Note that I used different, not better.

Really at the end of the day, I don't think there's a wrong or a right way to hear your gear and music. I'll discuss about them since it's interesting and fun to me, but really what matters is that you enjoy what you own and that you don't ruin yourself. What I don't appreciate is when someones takes the high ground in a "I'm right, you're all wrong" without backing it up. It's not a "Us versus them" problem, it's a individual one.

That philosophical question is also really interesting, but I'd like to take a break before discussing "pseudo differences" :sweat_smile:
Having tried way too many blindtests I perfectly understand what you’re saying. I wish people could try..at least just once. It is a very humbling experience.
I too used to be over on the other side of the fence slinging my money down a black hole and heard differences between amps and dacs like there was no tomorrow..but it was always sighted testing…and I had no idea how to volume match properly..so I effectively ended up testing different volume levels…like most other amp “tests”.
Regarding blindtests and Focals; it is actually feasible if you can find the same pads for two headphones (in the same condition mind you)..and well we were 5 guys that could not discern between the Elear, Elex and Clear. I imagine the same result if we’d included the Utopia.
The Elear, Elex, and Clear are extremely similar. The Clear has a slight difference with the voice coil but really I couldn't tell you which one is which with a blind test. The Clear still has more value for anyone who doesn't use EQ, and it also fixed the design flaw with the voice coil. The Utopia has a different driver made of different materials, the difference will be heard.

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #9,978 of 12,550
I see what you’re saying and agree with about 50% of it:)
You are however reading me wrong with regards to my intentions…and while we’re at it: how many blindtests have you tried? Do they somehow contradict whatever it is you currently believe I’m saying?
My experience with blindtests tells me that people really can’t tell a difference between driver materials unless they a) change the frequency response or b) come with big gops of distortion.
Anyhoo I’m out. Let’s get this discussion back to the Clear:)

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #9,979 of 12,550
I've read and seen measurements that the pads actually alter the frequency response of the Focals quite a bit.
I researched that topic because I was contemplating to snag a Utopia leather pad set for my Clear but people in this forum advised against it.
So in all honesty: that's not a fair comparison, even if done blind.

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #9,980 of 12,550
I see what you’re saying and agree with about 50% of it:)
You are however reading me wrong with regards to my intentions…and while we’re at it: how many blindtests have you tried? Do they somehow contradict whatever it is you currently believe I’m saying?
My experience with blindtests tells me that people really can’t tell a difference between driver materials unless they a) change the frequency response or b) come with big gops of distortion.
Anyhoo I’m out. Let’s get this discussion back to the Clear:)
The tone of your first comment is what gave me this impression.

I did not do many blind tests, since at the end of the day I just want to enjoy my music. They aren't perfect either, the headband of the MG is different from the Elex, that's enough for me to tell which one is which.

Can I attribute what I've heard entirely to the driver materials? I cannot. Do I think it still plays a role since those properties are important to take into account, and that I believe our ears are able to hear such changes, just like they're able to hear when there's a hair on a driver? Yes, I do.

Do I think that most audio beliefs have a part of placebo? I also do.

I don't consider myself good enough to make such assessment based on my own experience alone, and in the audio world everyone hears things differently. I'm using my experience to confirm what I've learned in physics, what I've learned by watching drivers, breaking drivers and such. Our experiences are different, our results are different, and to prove either of them as the correct answer scientifically we'd have to deal with problems like quantifying soundstage and imaging. Ifalna brought up interesting points, and it seems like we do agree on the end conclusion.

Also I do agree with you, this discussion should go back to the Clear. Guess that's my fault for continuing to answer. :sweat_smile:

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #9,981 of 12,550
I've read and seen measurements that the pads actually alter the frequency response of the Focals quite a bit.
I researched that topic because I was contemplating to snag a Utopia leather pad set for my Clear but people in this forum advised against it.
So in all honesty: that's not a fair comparison, even if done blind.
Man…this is getting ridiculous! Read my post again:wink:
I was talking about how Focals end up sounding the same when using the same type of pads (in the same condition).
Pads, and the state of the very same, are the biggest contributors to the same type of headphones sounding different…so of course a pair of leather pads vs velour is going to alter the presentation.
Have a great weekend all!

Oct 8, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #9,982 of 12,550
The quality of a driver, while important, has nothing to do with the fact that different materials react in a different way. Let's say, for the sake of argument, we would create a driver identical to the Clear's, except the membrane is made of plastic (like a lot of other headphones). We EQ'd them to the exact same frequency response. Do you really think that this plastic membrane, which has a different weight, will be able to reproduce the exact same notes with the same rigidity? Or are you saying that those changes would be so small that you wouldn't be able to hear the difference?
Well lets be fair: we would need to compare one metal against another metal. So the inherent differences would be much smaller to begin with. As you said in your next paragraph, they have a lot of tools to tune the headphone's signature, dome material is just one of them. I'd argue that the characteristics of the casing are much more important than the material of the diaphragm. They also tune them to be deliberately different to each other. Focal didn't try to tune the Clear to the same target as the Utopia and "just couldn't do it due to the material". I'm dead certain that it was a conscious design decision to have the clear be "less revealing".

Yes, and yet those changes can affect the frequency response in such a way that our current EQs cannot replicate it without adding too much distortion. They are an important part of tuning to take into account. The Clear's and the Utopia's design, while similar in shape, is still different enough that I could consider that some parts of it are affecting the way they sound.
This is interesting. Do you have any sources and measurements handy, per chance? From the Graphs I've seen in this forum, the differences between the Focals are so minor, I don't think anyone would run out of driver headroom if he tried to EQ them to a common target (read: a median that sits in between the curves, so both drivers are EQ'd as little as possible). To run into heavy distortion usually takes some really aggressive EQ on most cans. Focals may be sensitive to low shelf filters, due to the Xmax issue but that would affect all of them, even the Utopia.

b) Here's the thing though, it's not about being able to hear said details, once I've heard something with my MG or my Elex, I can hear it too with my XM3 as long as I concentrate enough. But the thing is that the MG/Elex will let me know immediately, the details will jump to my ears.
Yes, that's exactly my impression as well. More revealing cans make the spotting of tiny details easier. I think, coming from computers, resolution is a flawed term for this because it implies that some things cannot be rendered in a recognizable manner by low resolution drivers. Probably just a limitation of putting audible things into words.

Really at the end of the day, I don't think there's a wrong or a right way to hear your gear and music. I'll discuss about them since it's interesting and fun to me, but really what matters is that you enjoy what you own and that you don't ruin yourself. What I don't appreciate is when someones takes the high ground in a "I'm right, you're all wrong" without backing it up. It's not a "Us versus them" problem, it's a individual one.
Aye, I agree to this too. I'm sorry if I came across as condescending, that was not my intention. While I am a person of firm beliefs, I too have seen arguments and statements during this discussion that I did not consider before. To me, that's what makes forums interesting. I want to see how other people think and reason. That includes me being wrong at times. It's okay, after all I am here to learn too.

I was talking about how Focals end up sounding the same when using the same type of pads (in the same condition).
Aah okay. I misunderstood. I thought you were using the same pair of pads on all cans. Sorry!

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #9,983 of 12,550
I'll attest to that. I bought a set of Dekoni pads (don't remember which ones) for my CLear OG's on recommendation from one of the YouTube reviewers (I think it was one of the people from Headphones.com, where I bought the Clears). I liked them at first because they significantly increased the amount of bass. But after a few days, the midbass sounded muddy and bloomy, so I returned the Dekoni's. I'm satisfied with the Clears for now, and I use them or HD-600's for my serious music listening (95% classical).

I also have a Hifiman HE-400i (the previous version)--don't like them at all. They distort the midrange audibly, e.g., on acoustic piano, and they have a ridiculously short cable that I'd replace if I liked the headphones.

Oct 8, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #9,984 of 12,550
Well lets be fair: we would need to compare one metal against another metal. So the inherent differences would be much smaller to begin with. As you said in your next paragraph, they have a lot of tools to tune the headphone's signature, dome material is just one of them. I'd argue that the characteristics of the casing are much more important than the material of the diaphragm. They also tune them to be deliberately different to each other. Focal didn't try to tune the Clear to the same target as the Utopia and "just couldn't do it due to the material". I'm dead certain that it was a conscious design decision to have the clear be "less revealing".

This is interesting. Do you have any sources and measurements handy, per chance? From the Graphs I've seen in this forum, the differences between the Focals are so minor, I don't think anyone would run out of driver headroom if he tried to EQ them to a common target (read: a median that sits in between the curves, so both drivers are EQ'd as little as possible). To run into heavy distortion usually takes some really aggressive EQ on most cans. Focals may be sensitive to low shelf filters, due to the Xmax issue but that would affect all of them, even the Utopia.

Yes, that's exactly my impression as well. More revealing cans make the spotting of tiny details easier. I think, coming from computers, resolution is a flawed term for this because it implies that some things cannot be rendered in a recognizable manner by low resolution drivers. Probably just a limitation of putting audible things into words.

Aye, I agree to this too. I'm sorry if I came across as condescending, that was not my intention. While I am a person of firm beliefs, I too have seen arguments and statements during this discussion that I did not consider before. To me, that's what makes forums interesting. I want to see how other people think and reason. That includes me being wrong at times. It's okay, after all I am here to learn too.
I'd say that the housing is indeed the more important part, but that the driver still plays a important role. Obviously they're tuning them differently so that the less expensive one lacks some stuff, but it does seems like they know their stuff when it comes to materials. The way the driver flex in some places and such requires certains materials, and others won't be able to reproduce it. That's what I'm trying to say, the Clear and Utopia cannot reproduce exactly, 100%, the same things, and I do think I'd be audible. Just like details, you'd have to pay attention to it, but a difference is a difference. QC differences would make this even worse to test though.

As for the EQ stuff, I was more thinking the lines of something like the HD800 SDR mod. It's true that Focals are similar enough in tuning that you could get them close.

Oh and don't worry, I don't think that you came across as condescending, I was just sharing my opinion about such discussions in general. We've already agreed that such a situation is for academic purposes only, value is subjective and audio perception is too. All of our arguments are worthless for someone who doesn't use EQ, for them the Utopia will still bring something different compared to the Clear (Still not worth 2.5K more IMO), that's how a line-up works and that's absolutely a conscious decision from Focal.

But, based on my own experiences and what little knowledge I have, I believe that different driver materials within the same housing and such, cannot reproduce the exact same sound experience. There's always going to be a small-but-noticeable difference. Sometimes, on subject like this where there's currently no scientific answer, I think we can both stand our grounds without being inherently wrong.

Anyway, that was a fun discussion!

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #9,985 of 12,550

I don't know guys how you listen, but I owned clear and utopia for few years and there is a noticable step up with Utopia. Utopia is more detailed, airier headphone. Technically they are not that far, but tonality of Utopia is way way better. Most annoying thing with Clear for me is it's dry and aggressive treble with unpleasant peaks there, if you try to EQ that down you will loose in terms of detail.

The other thing is scaling, while Clear will be close to it's top performance even via headphone jack on laptop, Utopia will scale largely with better source. I guess some folks just don't care much for the sound. Personally I don't even have a good hearing and when my mind is busy with something else I could even put HD650/Utopia in the same bracket, but when I'm relaxed and enjoying music what a difference it makes.

EQ has it's place, but it is not a magical thing that would change transducer capabilities or replicate staging and timbre of a good DAC

Oct 8, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #9,986 of 12,550
Well it's understandable.
a) they invest a lot in the hobby. And I mean A LOT. Not just money but also time.
b) they actually hear differences. That is the crux of the whole issue. If you let me test 2 amplifiers sighted, even when I know their measurements are identical I will be able to hear differences. It's just the way the human brain works. One is prettier, the other is more expensive, so it has to do something better etc. These processes run in our subconscious but they can affect our perception really strongly.
c) they love their systems because they get a lot of joy from them.

When you actually hear differences and have invested a lot into a thing you love, possibly to a degree that a little voice inside you tells you that you maybe overdid it, it's naturally to get a wee bit defensive when some random schmuck like me comes along and counterpoints your perceptions. :D

Keep in mind, my entire argument was pretty much academic in nature. It's not really possible to EQ cans to that degree and also not feasible for the average consumer. Though I think it still is a valid point that a 1.5K headphone can be EQ'd to sound VERY similar to a 4K headphone, to the point that a new buyer might not see the remaining difference being worth the price gap.

I think a really interesting philosophical question would be: if the perceived differences are only psychological in nature, are they still valid as differences?
If these "pseudo differences" can enhance people's enjoyment of their gear and their music, are they able to justify the expense?

As much as I love science and being economical, the bottom line is that we listen to this gear for fun with our ears. Not with an Audioprecision analyzer. So in the end, what does the audiophile care if there are differences or not. He hears them, he likes them, to him it's worth his disposable income.
I kept my Clear too, despite my EQ'd DT-880 sounding waaay more similar than I would like to admit because I still enjoy the Clear for what it is.
Even if it's weight is murder on my neck.
I'm going to ask you again. How long have you owned the Clear and Utopia? If you have zero experience with the Utopia. Your argument of them both sounding the same when EQ'd falls apart. How would you know that if you don't have the hands on experience.

Oct 8, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #9,987 of 12,550
What you're saying is simply not true. My ears can easily tell apart the Utopia from the Clears. The Clear is less detailed, less airy and spacious, smaller in soundstage, lower in resolution and it is slower at responding to fast pace bassy tracks. The driver feels like it's at the edge of it's capablities which explains the clipping when reaching around 80 to 90 db.

If you can get it cheap, then it's worth it. But for 1.5K new. You're basically burning money especially in 2021.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #9,988 of 12,550
The driver feels like it's at the edge of it's capablities which explains the clipping when reaching around 80 to 90 db.
a) My Clear clips upwards of 110dB, way to loud for comfort. So there is plenty of headroom. Hitting Xmax has nothing to do with a drivers "speed" a.k.a. conformity to a rectangular signal unless the driver is absurdly underdamped and overshoots / rings like crazy.
b) the Utopia has the same limits, it is a consciously made design decision by Focal to avoid the usual compression of other headphones at very high volumes. Keep in mind that, unfortunately, there seems to be A LOT (way more than there should be, considering the price of both cans) unit to unit variation, so it is possible to get a "generous" Utopia and a "struggling" Clear.

The drivers are very similar in behavior between the two cans, the measurements show that. The biggest difference is in the THD department, where the Utopia handily beats the Clear (as it should). Whether that is an audible concern is anyone's guess but typically, these distortion levels are not much of a concern, since they both have very low THD where it counts: in the range of 1-4KHz.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-utopia-review-headphone.22103/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-clear-review-headphone.18585/

These measured similarities made me make the observation that most of the difference is in the FR. Note how Amir states at the end of the Utopia review, that his EQ to the high end improved spatial effects, so FR is connected to "soundstage" at least in some way.

Your argument of them both sounding the same when EQ'd falls apart.
We're past that point now and I already admitted that it was an unrealistic scenario.
We've since moved on to "getting them very close to each other when EQ'd" which is feasible, if you know what you're doing and have access to measuring gear.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #9,989 of 12,550
Anyone who tired switching to Dekoni or other non stock pads, I'm pretty sure can agree that the change in sound goes beyond what measurements would suggest. Our hearing picks so much more than what it's being measured by current measurements rigs. Said that, I still stand by that advanced EQ techniques can give you any sound you want, more precisely and more easily than any hardware matching. But I agree it's not the same thing, and to each it's own.

Oct 11, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #9,990 of 12,550
a) My Clear clips upwards of 110dB, way to loud for comfort. So there is plenty of headroom. Hitting Xmax has nothing to do with a drivers "speed" a.k.a. conformity to a rectangular signal unless the driver is absurdly underdamped and overshoots / rings like crazy.
b) the Utopia has the same limits, it is a consciously made design decision by Focal to avoid the usual compression of other headphones at very high volumes. Keep in mind that, unfortunately, there seems to be A LOT (way more than there should be, considering the price of both cans) unit to unit variation, so it is possible to get a "generous" Utopia and a "struggling" Clear.

The drivers are very similar in behavior between the two cans, the measurements show that. The biggest difference is in the THD department, where the Utopia handily beats the Clear (as it should). Whether that is an audible concern is anyone's guess but typically, these distortion levels are not much of a concern, since they both have very low THD where it counts: in the range of 1-4KHz.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-utopia-review-headphone.22103/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-clear-review-headphone.18585/

These measured similarities made me make the observation that most of the difference is in the FR. Note how Amir states at the end of the Utopia review, that his EQ to the high end improved spatial effects, so FR is connected to "soundstage" at least in some way.

We're past that point now and I already admitted that it was an unrealistic scenario.
We've since moved on to "getting them very close to each other when EQ'd" which is feasible, if you know what you're doing and have access to measuring gear.

I don't know where did you got an idea that drivers in Utopia and Clear are similar. Clear is made with magnesium/aluminium transducer while Utopia is pure beryllium. On top of that Utopia uses neodymium magnets. You can talk yourself into the idea that with EQ you pushed Clear to Utopia level, but reality is different. The texture of the same frequency response is different between those 2 headphones, Utopia is more polished and cleaner than the Clear. You may prefer drier presentation of Clear, but technically it still lags behind Utopia.

Don't be so naive with ASR, measurements simply just doesn't tell the whole story and there is no equipment to this day that would tell you how exactly speakers/headphones sound. I stopped paying much attention in ASR as crowd is a bit stubborn, blinded by charts of beyond audible distortions and believing that apple dongle or their topping amp at least matches or bests any equipment on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back