Focal Clear headphones
Jun 6, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #9,601 of 12,550
I've had my pair of focal clears for roughly 1.5 months now and I've been listening to via the iFi micro iDSD (as the DAC) paired with a matrix M-stage HPA3B. It's been really amazing but last week I decided to run them directly from the headphone out of the iFi. By all accounts the matrix amp is a step up from the internal amp in the iFi, as i feel it just has a blacker background and everything is sharper with a slightly wider stage. The internal amp on the iFi is a bit warmer and closed in but still enjoyable.

Just for fun, I toggled on the 3d and bass boost settings on the iFi, which I generally never used with my Audeze LCD2C'S before purchasing the Focals, as I just felt it made the sound a bit wonky when widening the stage, and as a result I've never used the setting again.

But for some reason, with the clears it sounds absolutely amazing. I totally understand this is personal preference here, and I can definitely hear a slight increase in certain frequencies in order to enhance the soundstage size, but it doesn't change the tonality of the clears significantly. The soundstage size increases dramatically and makes instrument seperation and detail come through even better than it already does.
Again, it's probably veering away from "natural" in terms on timbre, but dammit it's subjectively soooo enjoyable to my ears.

For anyone that's got an iFi micro iDSD (I've got the OG silver one, not the BL but it shouldn't be too dissimilar) give it a shout and let me know your thoughts. It's not for every song or genre, but for the first time since owning the iFi I can say it's a great option to have.
That's the new Clear ?

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #9,603 of 12,550
Jun 6, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #9,604 of 12,550
I've been listening to Focal Clear Pro with IDSD Micro Black Label since yesterday.

So far I'm not enthusiastic, it sounds too harsh and exuberant to me.

It's weird because I find Mojo too sleepy and BL just the opposite, too excited.

So far I find the right balance for my ears on the Dragonfly Cobalt.

Maybe IDSD BL needs some burn-in.

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #9,605 of 12,550
I've been listening to Focal Clear Pro with IDSD Micro Black Label since yesterday.

It's weird because I find Mojo too sleepy and BL just the opposite, too excited.

Probably the Clear needs its burn-in time

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #9,607 of 12,550
Probably yes, but I've also read several reports on IDSD BL which at first seems to have a bit too loud highs and then calms down with burn-in. I don't know, we'll see ...
Probably both would benefit from the burn-in

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #9,608 of 12,550
It's a pity though the impedance is low, could have mated well with OTLs same like Elear and Utopia

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #9,609 of 12,550

Attachments

• clearelexepadsnextoschiit.jpeg
    clearelexepadsnextoschiit.jpeg
    786.8 KB · Views: 0
Jun 6, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #9,610 of 12,550
Jun 6, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #9,612 of 12,550

It was mainly a fit issue with the Clear, I adjusted the headband and now I have a nice bass and a full and balanced sound and I'm enjoying it.

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #9,615 of 12,550
For those who have Focal Clear Pro OG:

Which cable do you use of the two?

Focal on the manual recommends using the long spiral one for best results.

Are there any differences in your opinion?

I use the short one, it's lighter whereas the spiral one you can feel the extra weight. Don't think there are any Sonic differences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back