Focal Clear headphones
Jun 3, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #9,586 of 12,550
Oh man! You just cost me more money. Keith is gonna kill me 😂😂😂.
If you say it's a good pairing. I may have to get one again and have it cap modded. 🤪
When I was looking at the WA6, I definitely wanted the 1st generation. It has the 6DE7 sockets; with adapters, I can use the 12AT7s or the 6SN7s. The 2nd generation has 13DE7 sockets - fewer alternatives to work with.

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #9,587 of 12,550
When I was looking at the WA6, I definitely wanted the 1st generation. It has the 6DE7 sockets; with adapters, I can use the 12AT7s or the 6SN7s. The 2nd generation has 13DE7 sockets - fewer alternatives to work with.
I definitely had 1st gen. Before I even dabbled in 12at7. My favorite tube in the WA6 was the Mullard cv1988 and ecc32. Preferably the ecc32. Lol

Jun 4, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #9,589 of 12,550
The Woo WA6 works tremendously with the Clear (OG). With the right rectifier tube (Mullard GZ34) and driver tubes (Brimar CV4033), the Clear is like an electrostat but with bass and it has no metallic “sheen”. (I would love to see a high impedance Clear: 200+ ohms to use with an OTL h/p/a. If ZMF can make their Verites etc 300 ohms, why not Focal?...)
Wishful thinking but I like the idea, since the Elear and Utopia are both good performers with OTL am eyeing either the WOO WA6 or a Feliks ELise

Jun 4, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #9,590 of 12,550
Clear arriving from the new headphones.com production run tomorrow! So excited!

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #9,591 of 12,550
Jun 4, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #9,592 of 12,550
It's a shame because I love otl amps lol. OTC isn't bad though. Something like a Woo WA6 should work fantastically
While I have not tried the (55 Ohm) OG Clear with my Feliks Echo (mk I), the Elears and Radiances pair exceptionally well with it… and the lower-than-25-Ohm LCD-XCs did too.

There seems to be pretty strong consensus among the Feliks faithful that Elears pair well with those OTLs, at least. Of course, we all hear differently and our tastes vary too.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #9,593 of 12,550
While I have not tried the (55 Ohm) OG Clear with my Feliks Echo (mk I), the Elears and Radiances pair exceptionally well with it… and the lower-than-25-Ohm LCD-XCs did too.

There seems to be pretty strong consensus among the Feliks faithful that Elears pair well with those OTLs, at least. Of course, we all hear differently and our tastes vary too.
One more reason to buy a Feliks for me as I have the Elear

Jun 4, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #9,594 of 12,550
Do you use the Adi 2's EQ , or do you just run it as a straight Dac-Amp?
I have a profile to boost the bass a bit. It approximates the frequency response behavior of my old Titanium HD, which had a 35 Ohm output impedance.
To my ears, Clear sounds a bit too cold/distant when driven directly.
You can find the settings somewhere in this thread, me thinks.

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #9,596 of 12,550
One more reason to buy a Feliks for me as I have the Elear
Yes, I feel very strongly it gets you high up the head-fi ladder of bliss… YMMV of course, but boy oh boy are the Elears great with the Echo…

Jun 5, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #9,597 of 12,550
Yes, I feel very strongly it gets you high up the head-fi ladder of bliss… YMMV of course, but boy oh boy are the Elears great with the Echo…
Is that the MK2I your are referring to?

Jun 5, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #9,598 of 12,550
Jun 6, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #9,599 of 12,550
I've had my pair of focal clears for roughly 1.5 months now and I've been listening to via the iFi micro iDSD (as the DAC) paired with a matrix M-stage HPA3B. It's been really amazing but last week I decided to run them directly from the headphone out of the iFi. By all accounts the matrix amp is a step up from the internal amp in the iFi, as i feel it just has a blacker background and everything is sharper with a slightly wider stage. The internal amp on the iFi is a bit warmer and closed in but still enjoyable.

Just for fun, I toggled on the 3d and bass boost settings on the iFi, which I generally never used with my Audeze LCD2C'S before purchasing the Focals, as I just felt it made the sound a bit wonky when widening the stage, and as a result I've never used the setting again.

But for some reason, with the clears it sounds absolutely amazing. I totally understand this is personal preference here, and I can definitely hear a slight increase in certain frequencies in order to enhance the soundstage size, but it doesn't change the tonality of the clears significantly. The soundstage size increases dramatically and makes instrument seperation and detail come through even better than it already does.
Again, it's probably veering away from "natural" in terms on timbre, but dammit it's subjectively soooo enjoyable to my ears.

For anyone that's got an iFi micro iDSD (I've got the OG silver one, not the BL but it shouldn't be too dissimilar) give it a shout and let me know your thoughts. It's not for every song or genre, but for the first time since owning the iFi I can say it's a great option to have.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #9,600 of 12,550

Users who are viewing this thread

Back