Focal Clear headphones
Feb 23, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #8,986 of 12,550
How many hours have you put on the MG before the comparison? Just curious.
I only put in 30 minutes or so just listening to the MG exclusively. Then I put in a few minutes with the original Clear, and then compared the two along with my HD 58X. So my first impressions are subject to change over the next week.

Feb 23, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #8,987 of 12,550
I only put in 30 minutes or so just listening to the MG exclusively. Then I put in a few minutes with the original Clear, and then compared the two along with my HD 58X. So my first impressions are subject to change over the next week.
Thanks bro. I'm also a big fan of the 58x lol. Will be looking forward to your follow up. I'm really itching to pull the trigger. I'm super happy with my OG Clears.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #8,990 of 12,550
Ok, I got the Clear MG Pro in, and I've been listening and comparing to the original Clear for an hour or two.
Here are my first impressions:
It is indeed warmer than the regular Clear, as many have already said (which is exactly what I wanted!). There's more of a rise starting from the upper bass all the way down, it has a similar mid bass hump of the HD650 or 600, maybe not as elevated though. You can feel the impact a bit better with the MG compared to the OG Clear. The bass is just as clean however, it does not bleed into the lower mids, as far as I can tell. It is just slightly fuller and warmer. Also, it might be my imagination, but the bass might be slightly more responsive. Perhaps that is a result of the sub bass extending better.
The mids are about the same level, vocals are very nice and present. The original Clear sometimes sounded strident with certain tracks, and I don't think I hear that with the MG Clear. It is very smooth, yet has the same dynamics you would expect from a Focal headphone.
The treble is the most notable difference to me, and for the better. With the original Clear, there was always a narrow treble resonance around 10kHz that even when equalized, you could still hear some traces of it with the right recordings. I am happy to report that Focal has improved the treble to the point I can listen to the MG Clear without EQ, and it still sounds fantastic. There is still a slight rise at 10.5 kHz, but they mostly got rid of that resonance, and they also lowered the level at 6kHz. In direct comparison, the OG Clear sounds more strident and peaky, while the MG is much closer to the tonality I am looking for. It is especially noticeable with recordings that have cymbals and high hats. You can hear the occasional peakiness and splashiness with the OG Clear, while the Clear MG sounds quite a bit smoother and more natural to me.

Overall, the MG is even closer to the tonality of my HD58X than the original Clear. That's a huge win in my book.

My impressions will probably change, but it's looking really good for the Clear MG! I think it boils down to whether you prefer a more analytical flat sound, which would be the original Clear, or if you prefer a warmer smoother sound, the Clear MG. In my case, I prefer the MG.
Thank you for sharing. One one hand, the MG seems like it’s a little closer to my preference; I typically prefer a warmer sound. On the other hand, the OG Clear is a classic headphone and I feel like it may be best to go for it because of its classic sound signature. It’ll also, hopefully, come down in price.

Overall, they seem similar enough as to where you’re not missing much if you already have the original. Seems more like an HD600/HD650 situation.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #8,991 of 12,550
Thank you for sharing. One one hand, the MG seems like it’s a little closer to my preference; I typically prefer a warmer sound. On the other hand, the OG Clear is a classic headphone and I feel like it may be best to go for it because of its classic sound signature. It’ll also, hopefully, come down in price.

Overall, they seem similar enough as to where you’re not missing much if you already have the original. Seems more like an HD600/HD650 situation.
Yeah, the HD600 vs HD650 is exactly how I would describe it. 600 is the Clear, 650 is the Clear MG in this case. I think it's going to be down to preference.

Feb 24, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #8,992 of 12,550
I would say Focal is pretty cheeky based on DivineCurrent comments. Thanks for the comparison. If this is true indeed and we have something like HD600 and HD650 in general Focal managed to do the thing every fan of Senns classics have been waiting for. Upgraded them both into the modern times....Pretty impressive if you ask me.

btw Any thoughts on soundstarge, resolution etc.?! I know you litterally have them for hours and are now in the honey mooon period but any impressions are gold for me as original Clear Pros owner.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #8,993 of 12,550
Anyone heard or have RME ADI 2 DAC with Focal Clear?
I have the ADI-2 DAC FS (v.2) for a month now.
Fantastic pairing, especially if you use the DSP (I do).

Clear + ADI-2 = I'm done with my headphone rig.
Game over.

Edit: since I saw you asking for amplification: None needed. ADI's amp is transparent and powerful enough.
With the Clear I get 90dB (Z) peaks (pre EQ) @ -26dBr. (AutoRef on)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #8,994 of 12,550

Game over.

Edit: since I saw you asking for amplification: None needed. ADI's amp is transparent and powerful enough.
I was chasing the dragon to find the perfect AMP/DAC and HP. Got out of hand looking back at it. I was like an addict looking for his next fix. Couldn't stop and now have a wall of HP's.

To answer the orginal question. I purchased the Pro Clears (wanted the extra set of pads and liked the color) and then purchased the ADI-2 Pro FS BE. Wanted the additional functionality and dual ports. Since I received both - my Dragon has been slayed. Amazing pairing and completely satisfied. Would highly recommend Clears and RME if you can afford it. I no longer want to upgrade so it is game over for me at this time. To be honest I am glad to finally be satisfied, but sad that my journey has stopped. If your interested in either or both do not hesitate. Both products are top notch. I am eventually going to get the Arya again and have the best HP combo for my budget.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #8,995 of 12,550

Game over.

I must say that the crossfeed option on the RME sounds amazing on the Clear (and the Clear MG), better then any other headphone I tried, even the HE-500. I think it's because of the angled drivers and the way the soundstage and imaging presents itself, it fits very well with their implementation of crossfeed. It seriously feels like I'm listening to speakers sometimes.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #8,996 of 12,550
I would say Focal is pretty cheeky based on DivineCurrent comments. Thanks for the comparison. If this is true indeed and we have something like HD600 and HD650 in general Focal managed to do the thing every fan of Senns classics have been waiting for. Upgraded them both into the modern times....Pretty impressive if you ask me.

btw Any thoughts on soundstarge, resolution etc.?! I know you litterally have them for hours and are now in the honey mooon period but any impressions are gold for me as original Clear Pros owner.
Or you could look at as dumbing down the Clear to the level of the 600 or 650. Give the masses what they want is never a bad decision when you are in business.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #8,997 of 12,550
Or you could look at as dumbing down the Clear to the level of the 600 or 650. Give the masses what they want is never a bad decision when you are in business.
Sure. That is also the way you can look at it. Interesting perspective. Well, I meant kind of similar tuning not a perfect copy of the original. Nobody wants that. Technical performance should go up not the other way with the newer model. But not at the cost of destroying some IMO fantastic headphone. By the comments here I can pressume it is not the case here at all so far.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #8,998 of 12,550
Sure. That is also the way you can look at it. Interesting perspective. Well, I meant kind of similar tuning not a perfect copy of the original. Nobody wants that. Technical performance should go up not the other way with the newer model. But not at the cost of destroying some IMO fantastic headphone. By the comments here I can pressume it is not the case here at all so far.

The MG is not a Senn, clone.
Its also not a Clear v2.

Its designed not to be a "audiophile" pleasure gear.
Its not that. Its not designed to strap on, and sit back and enjoy you tunes, as it #1 priority.
It can do that well, as it provides plenty of detail, but that is not its prime goal.
So, if you are thinking of this gear as your next Audiophile headphone purchase, then just realize that the sound is warm, and relatively dry, and quite full.
The MG is created for the studio. similar to the LCD-1 that Audeze created.

So, the wrong perspective is to try to force the gear to be what it isn't.
What Focal did was take their most popular model and redesign it,....... frame, driver, all of this, to be a studio monitor tool.
What does this mean? It means that if you buy it thinking you are buying the Clear v2, then you are not understanding why it was created or what it is going to offer you sonically.

Its a studio headphone, designed for musicians and studio professionals.
The MG produces a sound that is going to be more DRY then you expect, and more neutral then you expect.
It sounds like no other Focal.
It sounds more like the Neumann NDH-20 then it sounds like a Sennheiser.
What its trying to do, is be TRUE and flat., so that means neutral, which means dry and warm..
Why dry and warm? Because that is a studio monitor, .. the idea being you get a flat baseline and then you add your EQ to it, to shape your mixes and your Mastering.

The best amp you can use with this type of sound is a straight wire, a very lean sounding amp.. A tube amp will makes these the king of mush. A warm amp, will make them about the same.
You use a lean or very transparent amp with this type of Headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #8,999 of 12,550
This is what you are buying..

As stated by Focal..

""""Clear Mg Professional is the essential pair of headphones for discerning sound engineers and producers. """

See that part that says...."for discerning sound engineers and producers"?

See that part?
Notice it does not say..>"for the audiophile".

Thats not a joke, or marketing hype.

So, if you buy this great sounding set of Headphones, do so knowing you are buying a studio gear that is DESIGNED FOR = """"Clear Mg Professional is the essential pair of headphones for discerning sound engineers and producers. """"""

You have to realize this before you lay that money down, as this is not a cheap set of headphones...:)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #9,000 of 12,550
This is what you are buying..

As stated by Focal..

""""Clear Mg Professional is the essential pair of headphones for discerning sound engineers and producers. """

See that part that says...."for discerning sound engineers and producers"?

See that part?
Notice it does not say..>"for the audiophile".

Thats not a joke, or marketing hype.

So, if you buy this great sounding set of Headphones, do so knowing you are buying a studio gear that is DESIGNED FOR = """"Clear Mg Professional is the essential pair of headphones for discerning sound engineers and producers. """"""

You have to realize this before you lay that money down, as this is not a cheap set of headphones...:)

If my memory serves correctly, Focal marketing BS also said (or at least implied) the same differences were there between the OG Clear and Clear Pro yet they sounded exactly the same. So I'm not buying that the new versions of the Clear (Clear Mg and Clear Mg Pro) are tuned for studio quality and not audiophiles.

Also, from what I can tell, it appears these new Clear Mg and Clear Mg Pro sets are replacing the OG versions. Based on that it seems fair to assume that these are indeed "Clear v2".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back