Focal Clear headphones
Feb 19, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #8,943 of 12,543
1609197586113.jpg

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #8,944 of 12,543
Is there any way to clean headband? I did not use any protection on headband and am now facing this problem.
I tried one all purpose cleaner for textile but its not working.
If nothing helps then i will live with it and buy one of suggested headband covers, protection.
20210219_162157.jpg
I can see the Loki in your photo, using it with the Clear or in any audiophile grade gear chain is a BLASPHEMY 😁😁😁

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #8,945 of 12,543
Hey everyone,

I received my Focal Clear Mg Professional today. I had previously owned the Clear Pro so I’m familiar with their sound, and I can confirm that they are indeed warmer sounding.

The bass is better extended, and overall increased through to the lower-mids. The tonality seems smoother than the previous version, with little to no peaks that I’m hearing. They’re also very detailed, and I think more so than the previous version. The soundstage is much larger, but it retains a more intimate presentation if that makes any sense.

So far I’ve listen for several hours and I’m enjoying them. Live music sounds fantastic. These image really well, and the more open sound helps to scale venues. Timbre also seems smoother, without any hint of that ‘metallic’ sound that was sometimes present in the previous version.

Overall I’d say these are a warmer, smoother version of the original Clear. They’re pretty much what I wanted from the original (I parted with them mostly due to the treble peaks). I hope this helps.

Heres a picture I snapped earlier this evening:

724113F2-7C70-43A8-8A34-BF6B6D6C9B72.jpeg

Source gear used: Mac Mini (2020-i7), Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2, Chord Mojo, Massdrop Airist R-2R DAC, Schiit Saga +, Rupert Neve Designs RNHP, Schiit Vali 2, and Inverting O2.

Cheers,
-Christopher

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #8,946 of 12,543
Are they warmer because they have more bass, or because the treble is smoother?

Waiting for some measurements on these, but will probably not be able to resist picking up a pair at some point.

Pure magnesium should be lighter than magnesium-aluminum alloys, so it wouldn't surprise me if the diaphragm was lighter and these resolved a little bit better. The lack of resolution was the biggest issue with the original Clear, that and the peaky highs.

Feb 20, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #8,947 of 12,543

Waiting for some measurements on these, but will probably not be able to resist picking up a pair at some point.

Pure magnesium should be lighter than magnesium-aluminum alloys, so it wouldn't surprise me if the diaphragm was lighter and these resolved a little bit better. The lack of resolution was the biggest issue with the original Clear, that and the peaky highs.
Depends on what warmer means. I liked Clear for not being too warm and propably wouldn't want a warmer version. I'm ok with the treble and smoother treble will lose it's character.

Onlh way to tell is side by side comparisons. I do not trust new headphone impressions since people hype new crap and have new toy syndrome. People tend to fall for expectation bias and impressions are usually full of bias.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #8,948 of 12,543
I can see the Loki in your photo, using it with the Clear or in any audiophile grade gear chain is a BLASPHEMY 😁😁😁

I use Loki only for first generation T1 because in need to tune down that spike on high frequencies.

Mostly i use Equalizer APO & Peace. But only if needed.
I dont see anything wrong with using EQ if that helps.

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #8,949 of 12,543
Hey everyone,

I received my Focal Clear Mg Professional today. I had previously owned the Clear Pro so I’m familiar with their sound, and I can confirm that they are indeed warmer sounding.

The bass is better extended, and overall increased through to the lower-mids. The tonality seems smoother than the previous version, with little to no peaks that I’m hearing. They’re also very detailed, and I think more so than the previous version. The soundstage is much larger, but it retains a more intimate presentation if that makes any sense.

So far I’ve listen for several hours and I’m enjoying them. Live music sounds fantastic. These image really well, and the more open sound helps to scale venues. Timbre also seems smoother, without any hint of that ‘metallic’ sound that was sometimes present in the previous version.

Overall I’d say these are a warmer, smoother version of the original Clear. They’re pretty much what I wanted from the original (I parted with them mostly due to the treble peaks). I hope this helps.

Heres a picture I snapped earlier this evening:

Source gear used: Mac Mini (2020-i7), Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2, Chord Mojo, Massdrop Airist R-2R DAC, Schiit Saga +, Rupert Neve Designs RNHP, Schiit Vali 2, and Inverting O2.

Cheers,
-Christopher

Thank you for the review! @ValentineLuke

How do these fare overall from a pure listening perspective despite the marketing towards professional mixing/mastering etc use?

Feb 20, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #8,950 of 12,543

How do these fare overall from a pure listening perspective despite the marketing towards professional mixing/mastering etc use?

I see your comment that they are overall a warmer, smoother version of the original Clear, so I presume safe to say that they are wonderful for straight up enjoyment of music as well as crafting?

--> Some more impressions I found on Reddit <--

One funny thing I've observed so far in reading/hearing impressions is that they are ALL completely different. Some say warm, others say bright, others say flat, others say they slam. It's a complete subjective mixed bag so far.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #8,951 of 12,543

I think it‘s a combination of both, but they definitely have more overall bass.

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #8,952 of 12,543

I don’t do any sort of music production work, so my listening is purely for pleasure. I’m guessing the marketing speaks to their ‘neutrality’, and what seems to me to be little coloration or peaks in the sound. I’m really enjoying them.

Feb 20, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #8,954 of 12,543
--> Some more impressions I found on Reddit <--

One funny thing I've observed so far in reading/hearing impressions is that they are ALL completely different. Some say warm, others say bright, others say flat, others say they slam. It's a complete subjective mixed bag so far.
That's to be expected. My guess is that these are very close already, EQ'd to the same target it would probably be a real challenge to ABX them.

What I am most curious about: did Focal change their fundamental design? The biggest criticism of the Clear (rather all Focal cans) was that the driver units hit Xmax rather easily when fed with sub-bass (mine does when I exceed ~110dB (Z) SPL).

Does it still persist on the Clear Mg Pro?

BTW: good pic in there: so same metal mesh as the old Clear, + Honeycomb design plate.
More open my gluteus maximus!

Feb 20, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #8,955 of 12,543
Maybe they meant honeycomb shape being more open as opposed to using round shape holes, like featured on their closed headphones. But, hey, let's say it in a misleading fashion if it helps marketing, right? Then there is also the thin dust filter / acoustic impedance silk, all around the cup / driver, to add to the equation of "openness".

The thing about the clipping issue is that it's a byproduct of the virtually free edge M dome. You change that to not allow clipping, then it is not a virtually free edge dome anymore. Another solution would be increasing the coil and drive depth, which would then carry other problems with it.

Basically, if it doesn't clip, it means it's broken. If it clips, it means you have the most dynamic headphone ever. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back