Focal Clear headphones
Oct 18, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #8,026 of 12,550
@descloud I finally bought that headphone cover that you recommended. Now I can listen to my Clear without worry. In case the pads get dirty, is washing them with detergent and air drying them enough to take care of?
That's great to hear.

For the case when the pads get dirty, you might want to search around this thread as I believe a few people have given their experience on washing/cleaning their pads as I haven't done that myself.

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #8,027 of 12,550
I got the Clear a month ago, and it does everything I love about the Elex but better. Most noticeably, the treble air is a lot better, and the bass is even tighter and cleaner. In fact, everything about the sound is just cleaner and yes clearer compared to the Elex. On top of that, I absolutely love the red and black Pro version. And with some EQ settings, it just about replaces my HD600 and 650... at least for most of my music preferences. Instruments and percussion impact feels so lifelike and dynamic, there’s a certain presence to the Clear’s sound that makes everything sound alive, it’s really unique. It makes a great compliment to the Hifiman Sundara’s wide, airy and enveloping type of sound, where the Clear is super tight and dynamic.

Oct 18, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #8,028 of 12,550
I got the Clear a month ago, and it does everything I love about the Elex but better. Most noticeably, the treble air is a lot better, and the bass is even tighter and cleaner. In fact, everything about the sound is just cleaner and yes clearer compared to the Elex. On top of that, I absolutely love the red and black Pro version. And with some EQ settings, it just about replaces my HD600 and 650... at least for most of my music preferences. Instruments and percussion impact feels so lifelike and dynamic, there’s a certain presence to the Clear’s sound that makes everything sound alive, it’s really unique. It makes a great compliment to the Hifiman Sundara’s wide, airy and enveloping type of sound, where the Clear is super tight and dynamic.

Similar shoes except I have the HE500's, and they complement the Clears well. If the Clears are a scalpel used for brain surgery, the HE500's are more like a single malt scotch with some Cuban cigars :)

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #8,029 of 12,550
Does anyone has experience if the Clear works & sounds well with an RME ADI-2 DAC?

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #8,030 of 12,550
Ordered the Focal Clears today with overnight shipping so they'll be here tomorrow on my birthday. I never thought I'd spend this much on a pair if headphones but since headphones are the primary way I listen to music these days I think it makes sense. I've been a hi-fi enthusiast for 50 years and have spent way more on speakers and other equipment over the years.
I'm currently using Sennheiser HD650's which I think are fantastic.
I'll be using the Focal's with a Schiit Asgard 2 so there should be more than enough power. I'm thinking about going with the Asgard 3 next month but I want to hear the Clear headphones with the 2 first. Very excited about my birthday present!

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #8,031 of 12,550
Ordered the Focal Clears today with overnight shipping so they'll be here tomorrow on my birthday. I never thought I'd spend this much on a pair if headphones but since headphones are the primary way I listen to music these days I think it makes sense. I've been a hi-fi enthusiast for 50 years and have spent way more on speakers and other equipment over the years.
I'll be using the Focal's with a Schiit Asgard 2 so there should be more than enough power. I'm thinking about going with the Asgard 3 next month but I want to hear the Clear headphones with the 2 first. Very excited about my birthday present!

If my memory of the Asgard 2 is correct if think it would pair well with the Clear. Plus it doubles as a nice hot plate.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #8,032 of 12,550

Congrats on the purchase! I can vouch for the Clear+Asgard3... but will also note that the Clear sounds even BETTER on the Lyr3.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #8,033 of 12,550
If my memory of the Asgard 2 is correct if think it would pair well with the Clear. Plus it doubles as a nice hot plate.
If it's hot you know that class A goodness is coming through. I've owned a Fisher 500C, Fishet X-100-C, and currently a Harman Kardon A500 so the Asgard 2 runs cool compared to the old tube equipment :)

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #8,034 of 12,550

Congrats! Very complimentary sets of cans. I use my 6XXs for shuffle (like I did w/my 650s) and use the Clears for more 'active' listening sessions.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #8,037 of 12,550
Does anyone has experience if the Clear works & sounds well with an RME ADI-2 DAC?
Yes, I'm using the Clear with the ADI-2 DAC, it's fantastic. Super clean, I don't even need to go into high power mode for it to output plenty of power and authority.

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #8,039 of 12,550
Created an account just to rave about these.

Picked these up five days ago, been listening to them pretty much non stop. I put a considerable amount of research in before picking them; with sound this good, the fact that they're also gorgeous to look at is just a great bonus. I've basically got nothing done this week while working from home as I keep getting sucked in to details in my older music.

They're so easy to drive, even with my relatively minimal set-up (a Magni Heresy sat on top of the Scarlett Solo Gen 3 I use to record my guitars) I don't feel like I'm missing out. I'm definitely the type to put all of my audio budget towards headphones rather than the setup, but we'll see what black Friday brings!

The perfect compliment to my thomann bought K712s, which I still use for gaming and easy listening. Optimistic about maintaining the lovely grey, I'll update here after I clean them for the first time with what I find. Hoping to leverage a close friend's knowledge; hes a car guy who knows quite a bit about cleaning and maintaining fabric.

This thread gave me a lot of information I used to pick these, so kudos to y'all!

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #8,040 of 12,550
Created an account just to rave about these.

Picked these up five days ago, been listening to them pretty much non stop. I put a considerable amount of research in before picking them; with sound this good, the fact that they're also gorgeous to look at is just a great bonus. I've basically got nothing done this week while working from home as I keep getting sucked in to details in my older music.

They're so easy to drive, even with my relatively minimal set-up (a Magni Heresy sat on top of the Scarlett Solo Gen 3 I use to record my guitars) I don't feel like I'm missing out. I'm definitely the type to put all of my audio budget towards headphones rather than the setup, but we'll see what black Friday brings!

The perfect compliment to my thomann bought K712s, which I still use for gaming and easy listening. Optimistic about maintaining the lovely grey, I'll update here after I clean them for the first time with what I find. Hoping to leverage a close friend's knowledge; hes a car guy who knows quite a bit about cleaning and maintaining fabric.

This thread gave me a lot of information I used to pick these, so kudos to y'all!
I ordered a pair on Monday for overnight delivery on Tuesday but there was a delay so delivery is scheduled for this morning. I'm really looking forward to giving these a listen. Since you've been listening to yours for five days have you noticed a difference in the sound from the first day?
These things cost almost as much as my first new car I bought in 1969, a VW beetle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back