Focal Clear headphones
Sep 30, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #7,967 of 12,550
Not even close. Those headphones are wide open and leak a ton of sound. Anything above a very quiet listening level will be overheard, and they block very little from the outside world.

Thanx. I've listened to Grado and wouldn't have asked thte question. But I've had some Senheiser and they would have been OK.

Bye the clear :sweat:

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #7,968 of 12,550
Thanx. I've listened to Grado and wouldn't have asked thte question. But I've had some Senheiser and they would have been OK.

Bye the clear :sweat:

You are much more considerate than me. I'd be saying, "bye, the people next to me on the train!" :smiling_imp:

On a more serious note, check out the Focal Elegia. They are generally considered to sound like the Clear and can be EQ'd even closer. I'm not sure how isolating they are, but it's got to be significantly more so than the Clear.

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #7,969 of 12,550
You are much more considerate than me. I'd be saying, "bye, the people next to me on the train!" :smiling_imp:

On a more serious note, check out the Focal Elegia. They are generally considered to sound like the Clear and can be EQ'd even closer. I'm not sure how isolating they are, but it's got to be significantly more so than the Clear.
I've recently picked up a pair of the Elegia as the current sale prices are really good. I can confirm that the elegia would be fine in public or on a bus/train. They block out some sound and leak hardly any. They sound a lot like the Clears. I'd say you get about 80% of the way there with the Elegia

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #7,971 of 12,550
Funny you should mention the p20 because I just picked one up for $80 until my LP gets back from being modded. I'm pretty surprised by how good this little amp is.
If I were being honest I'd say it's a better amp than the MCTH and Gilmore lite mk2. Too bad it doesn't put out more power for harder to drive cans. It plays very well with my Clears.
I just purchased some tube adapters to run some 12au7 in it lol.

Man reading these impressions of the Loxgie P20 + Clear combo makes me realize I should have picked one up! Instead I got a Lyr 1 (used) which is basically unusable with the Clears due to the hum they pick up, being so sensitive. Works great with HD600 and decent with the DT880s but I kind of wanted tube sound for a larger variety of headphones... well the P20 is cheap so who knows I may still pick one up..

Did you notice hum as well? Or just otherwise bad synergy?

Edit: a couple words & also I think I was reading old posts. But point still stands, there are some happy campers with a $100 balanced tube amp; sounds definitely worth checking out..!

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #7,972 of 12,550
Funny you should mention the p20 because I just picked one up for $80 until my LP gets back from being modded. I'm pretty surprised by how good this little amp is.
If I were being honest I'd say it's a better amp than the MCTH and Gilmore lite mk2. Too bad it doesn't put out more power for harder to drive cans. It plays very well with my Clears.
Nice, thats good to know you enjoy it even compared to your LP! I had also been trying to pick up a CTH used (not really worth it new, being in Canada) but have heard a lot of mixed reviews. I should have just gone with a later generation Lyr I suppose. But for around half the price I paid for the Lyr I could also try a new P20.

What mod(s) are you having done to your LP? I've always dreamt of getting one but haven't seen many on the used market, and they do hold their value well... new or used they are just a bit more than I wanted to pay; but maybe someday..
I just purchased some tube adapters to run some 12au7 in it lol.
I've also thought of doing this for my Lyr... those tubes are everywhere in lots of varieties so I may do it too, and could use them on the P20 if/when I pick one up.

Report back any good tube pairings for the Clear too if you get a chance!
:beerchug:

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #7,973 of 12,550
EQ is almost flat. I meant visualizer reaches 15.
Gotcha. Is this on the ADI-2?

Focals are known to have mechanical "clipping" built in as a driver protection mechanism/warning to turn it down; Focal confirmed that's on purpose but no one quite knows exactly why - maybe it's to do with the driver material they use or something.

But if it didn't do it before under the exact same circumstances (hard to say probably) and now it does, then you may have a warranty issue. That or you maybe just didn't play loud enough on the same tracks previously to trigger it?

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #7,974 of 12,550
Focals are known to have mechanical "clipping" built in as a driver protection mechanism/warning to turn it down
I've run into the issue a few times. Movies + high output impedance on my AVR give me a nasty, near uncontrollable peak at their primary resonance frequency of around 55Hz.
I always wondered whether brief clipping would be damaging to the driver. First time I've hear it called "protection".

Generally I know which volumes are safe, so it only occurred 3-4 times in 1.5 years of use.

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #7,975 of 12,550
Guys,

I just can't work from home with my Clear Pro's on.

I'm a full time photographer and when I edit pictures on my home rig....I can't even have my Clear's on a low volume because even then....it still sounds so damn good and dynamic.

This headphone DEMANDS your attention and is a total distraction.

On a lesser set of cans or my really modest old 2.1 speaker set-up....it's not a problem. 🤔

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #7,976 of 12,550
I've run into the issue a few times. Movies + high output impedance on my AVR give me a nasty, near uncontrollable peak at their primary resonance frequency of around 55Hz.
I always wondered whether brief clipping would be damaging to the driver. First time I've hear it called "protection".

Generally I know which volumes are safe, so it only occurred 3-4 times in 1.5 years of use.
Right they basically stated it's mechanical compression as a form of protection, to keep it from warping the driver or cooking the voice coil at high excursions I guess.

Pretty sure its only focal that does this so it must be due to the materials they use. So it shouldn't damage it if that's their method of protecting the driver. Reports really vary of how common it is though. Some seem to reach it at lower volumes than others. I've never had it happen.

I actually find the Clears so dynamic that they are a bit fatiguing and I think I tend to listen at lower volumes than I even expected. Turning them up to the maximum I could listen at (or even a bit more) and putting an SPL meter app on and putting my phone mic in the ear cup (not the most reliable but it should at least give an idea) it rarely gets even to 75db; so maybe that's why?

When gaming or watching movies gunshots and explosions are a bit too intense... very realistic and all, which is great, but punishing on the ears so I think i keep it on the quiet side generally.

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #7,977 of 12,550
Guys,

I'm a full time photographer and when I edit pictures on my home rig....I can't even have my Clear's on a low volume because even then....it still sounds so damn good and dynamic.

On a lesser set of cans or my really modest old 2.1 speaker set-up....it's not a problem. 🤔
Haha exactly what I was saying too... not a laid back listen by any means!

Definitely need a variety of headphones to cover the bases.. one of the shortcomings of the medium I guess.

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #7,978 of 12,550
The mods done on the LP are all caps were replaced with Elna Silmic ii, and I just sent it out to have the pot replaced with an Alps rk27 pot.
Nice, thats good to know you enjoy it even compared to your LP! I had also been trying to pick up a CTH used (not really worth it new, being in Canada) but have heard a lot of mixed reviews. I should have just gone with a later generation Lyr I suppose. But for around half the price I paid for the Lyr I could also try a new P20.

What mod(s) are you having done to your LP? I've always dreamt of getting one but haven't seen many on the used market, and they do hold their value well... new or used they are just a bit more than I wanted to pay; but maybe someday..

I've also thought of doing this for my Lyr... those tubes are everywhere in lots of varieties so I may do it too, and could use them on the P20 if/when I pick one up.

Report back any good tube pairings for the Clear too if you get a chance!
:beerchug:

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #7,979 of 12,550
Guys,

I'm on the same boat. I get too distracted working from home with the clears.

I'd recommend some kind of orthodynamic headphones. You should check out the Ether 2's, as they have a great resolving yet laid back signature. It's also very light and comfortable.

I have the HE500 and I use them far more for work for the same reason, but it's a bit heavy for long use.

Oct 3, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #7,980 of 12,550
I'm on the same boat. I get too distracted working from home with the clears.

I'd recommend some kind of orthodynamic headphones. You should check out the Ether 2's, as they have a great resolving yet laid back signature. It's also very light and comfortable.

I have the HE500 and I use them far more for work for the same reason, but it's a bit heavy for long use.

Can't afford another headphone right now and the only other set of cans I have currently is the Philips Fidelio X2HR.

Maybe I should try using the X2HR, especially as I've had them roughly only a month before recently purchasing my Clear's. They are just catching dust. :grimacing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back